SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question [AU] Jr. Front-end + PHP developer need some advices~ I'm lost...help

Hello everyone,

I've completed both my master and bachelor degree in multimedia and i've been working 18 months in the industry as a front-end developer | PHP & MySQL in Melbourne, Australia. I am the only developer in the team and i don't have any friends or knew any other developers. So if there is any developers meet up event open to the public i would really love to join if there is an opportunity.

There are a few things that i wasn't so sure about myself and i hope i could get some advices here.

I have the following skills:
    - HTML5 / CSS3 / JQuery / PHP / MySQL / ActionScript 3.0 / Photoshop / Flash / Illustrator / HTML Email / Entry Level Responsive Web Development

I'm currently learning:
    - GIT / Wordpress websites

Interested with:
    - Magento / Zend Framework / Backbone.js / expand my JS skills

I'm familiar with Wordpress and Joomla website and be able to manage content updates and edit Wordpress theme.

My Current Salary:
    - $40k package

Questions:
    1. What salary i should be getting based on my experiences and skills sets today?
    2. Is there any problems with my skills development plan? What are the skills that i should be focus first? Should i concentrate on JS and put PHP or maybe other stuff behind? I'm more happy to become a front-end developer but i really do like to have some back-end skills that i've mentioned above. What should i do?
    3. How can i make myself be better in the market?

Thank you.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Kurosagi,

my suggestion for some skills that are a bit deeper and will differentiate yourself from the pack:

Apache Server setup (local and on server)
    Basic web server command line administration
    MySQL design and optimisation skills: referential integrity, index use, query optimisation, replication

Have you checked out meetup.com? There is at least the Joomla meetup, I think you will find some good peers there.

Hope this helps,

Jochen
    http://www.automatem.co.nz
    Websites, On-line Software and everything Internet
    Follow on Twitter | Connect on LinkedIn | Read on Posterous

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dear jdog,

Thank you for your reply, i'm appreciate.

I'll check the list of skills that you've mentioned and put some investment on those. That's helpful, so that i knew what are the elements that i'm missing from part of the skills that i had.

Yes, been start using the app since last year and joined a few wordpress and joomla meetup, love that. But i couldn't found anything with front-end + php discussion was hoping if there is one so that i can develop myself better.