Hybrid View

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mac ie problem

Hello all,

I developed this site and it works great on pcs using ie and netscape but on the mac it is a different story. It works in netscape but not ie. Why? The page loads fine but if you click on a button the page goes all crazy. Luckily it hasn't been an issue with the client but I would love to fix it so it would work on macs since I like to use both platforms. I haven't tested on OSX so I have no idea what it does on that operating system. Can anyone help?

Link:
    http://www.better-built.us

thanks

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are 2 screenshots of your site in IE 5.2.2 on OS X 10.2.4. I don't know what you mean by "all crazy"...if you can show me how its supposed to look, maybe I can provide some answers for you.

geof
    Attached Images Attached Images

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geof Harries
    Here are 2 screenshots of your site in IE 5.2.2 on OS X 10.2.4. I don't know what you mean by "all crazy"...if you can show me how its supposed to look, maybe I can provide some answers for you.

geof

i've attached what the site looks like on my pc (which is how it is supposed to look). And then i've attached how it looks on the mac (very bad). i'm running system 9.2.2 on the mac with ie 5.

any thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images

SitePoint Guru bronze trophy blufive's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IE/Mac is a completely different browser from IE/Windows. AFAIK, it was coded almost completely from scratch, and shares very little code with its windows counterpart. IE5/Mac has a pretty good reputation for standards support, so whatever the problem turns out to be, it shouldn't be too hard to sort out.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    help please...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a MAC and it works fine I don't know what your talking about something is not working. Running IE 5.0 on OS 10.2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know why your having errors. What version of Flash are you using and what flash version does IE have on your OS 9 machine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    based on your discussions... it might be that you have a newer version of flash in your PC from your flash in your mac. try downloading a new flash player for mac since it works for the other guys.
    -----
    afaik, ie/mac is very different from ie/pc in terms of implementation of dhtml. then again, you're using flash so dhtml is out of the question.
    i pressume that you know the implications of what you're doing?
    (or are you just trying to look cool?)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am running system 9.2.2 with ie 5.1.4 and the flash version is 6.0.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your website looks perfectly fine to me on OS X in Chimera 0.6, but then in Safari the third main box (outlined in white border; the second rectangle down from the one with dots in it) juts out from the rest of the design. In IE 5.2.2, a horizontal scroll bar appears on each of your inside pages where the main text is held.

My biggest suggestion to improve your design and rid it of these problems? Move from a frames-based layout to HTML 4+ or XHTML 1.0 friendly "standard" layout sans frames. I can't see any real reason why frames are neccesary in your design, and this alone will solve a lot of your browser/platform issues.

I took a look at your code and it seems to be all right, except that you should know that IE on the Mac adds some extra white space to a frame layout.

My other suggestion to you is to use the W3C Validator http://validator.w3.org/ (simply type your website url in the form and press Validate URL) and fix the errors as you move down the page. It will extract the mistakes easier than I could do it:

1) Ensure that you first of all use a DOCTYPE with your design, such as the following for XHTML 1.0 documents:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
    <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" lang="en" xml:lang="en">

2) Put your javascripts into an external js file that you can include on the server side:

<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript" src="../includes/scrollbar.js"></script>

Have fun!

geof

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I've run it through the validator and I am getting this:

1. Line 8, column 37: there is no attribute "FRAMEBORDER" (explain...).
      <frameset cols="*,760,*" frameborder="NO" border="0" framespacing="0"> ^
    2. Line 8, column 49: there is no attribute "BORDER" (explain...). <frameset cols="*,760,*" frameborder="NO" border="0" framespacing="0"> ^
    3. Line 8, column 66: there is no attribute "FRAMESPACING" (explain...). ..."*,760,*" frameborder="NO" border="0" framespacing="0"> ^
    4. Line 11, column 103: there is no attribute "FRAMESPACING" (explain...). ...th="0" marginheight="0" framespacing="0" frameborder="0" topmargin="0" leftma ^
    5. Line 11, column 133: there is no attribute "TOPMARGIN" (explain...). ...pacing="0" frameborder="0" topmargin="0" leftmargin="0" border="0" noresize> ^
    6. Line 11, column 148: there is no attribute "LEFTMARGIN" (explain...). ...eborder="0" topmargin="0" leftmargin="0" border="0" noresize> ^
    7. Line 11, column 159: there is no attribute "BORDER" (explain...). ... topmargin="0" leftmargin="0" border="0" noresize> ^
    8. Line 25, column 9: document type does not allow element "NOFRAMES" here (explain...). <noframes> ^
    9. Line 26, column 50: there is no attribute "LEFTMARGIN" (explain...). ...="#cccccc" text="#000000" leftmargin="0" topmargin="0" marginwidth="0" margin ^
    10. Line 26, column 64: there is no attribute "TOPMARGIN" (explain...). ...or="#cccccc" text="#000000" leftmargin="0" topmargin="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0"> ^
    11. Line 26, column 80: there is no attribute "MARGINWIDTH" (explain...). ...margin="0" topmargin="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0"> ^
    12. Line 26, column 97: there is no attribute "MARGINHEIGHT" (explain...). ...gin="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0">
    I'm not sure what this all this means. Enlighten me.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to the Validator, the main problem with your current code is that:

"You have used an attribute with an element that is defined not to have that attribute. This is most commonly caused by using vendor-specific attributes without setting the document type appropriately."

So to fix this problem, you should consult the following document:

http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/present/frames.html

Have a read through, and make the error corrections as you go. With each set of corrections, upload the page to your server and then press "revalidate" in the Validator. It will parse your page, and if all goes well, count down the errors (14....12....9....0!) as you correct them.

geof