SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frontpage 2002 & PHP files

I have a site which was developed in Dreamweaver MX. I want to use FP2002 to manage the site as I no longer have access to Dreamweaver MX, and I have FP2002 as part of MS Office.

All the site's files are .php as they contain php script as well as large chunks of HTML.

I've set FP to be the editor for php files, but I cannot seem to get it to update any hyperlinks in the php files. The navigation panel doesn't work as it seems to only want .htm files. If I set the index.php page as the homepage, FP wants to change it to index.htm.

I cannot change the extensions of the files to .htm as they need to be .php to be parsed correctly by the server.

The links are in the standard HTML anchor tag, but if I change the name of a file in the Folder List panel, and then open a page that contains the hyperlink, the hyperlink URL has not been updated. Both files are .php files, but only contain parts of php enclosed in the standard <?php ?> tags. The rest of the file is pure HTML using standard HTML tags.

I tried an experiment with FP. I created two files from scratch in FP. First with a link to the second. If the files are called test.php and test2.php, FP will not update hyperlinks. If I rename the files to test.htm and test2.htm (without altering any of the HTML code), FP will update hyperlinks with the message
    quote:
    There are 1 pages that have hyperlinks to this page.
    Do you want to update these pages so that the hyperlinks will not be broken?

Is there anyway I can get FP to treat files with .php extension as standard webpages?

Am I going to have to start saving for Dreamweaver MX ? I only used to use a small proportion of the features in Dreamweaver MX, but I liked the way it handled chunks of php code, its site management (including the file cloaking), its template management and its css managment. All these seem to be lacking in FP.
    Censura - Add reviews and ratings to your site

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking re: Frontpage and PHP

If you find a way to make Frontpage 2002 work with PHP, let us know. I have the same problem. FP pukes all over itself if you add PHP and rename the extension to .php.

While learning PHP a few months ago, I stumbled upon some information concerning this problem. I seem to remember something about making FP work with .php extensions. At the time, I didn't think I'd need it so I didn't bookmark the web page. Now, I can't find it again.

If anybody out there knows the secret, or even if it's possible, let us know.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bump to top.... need a reply from someone please!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I gave up and bought Dreamweaver MX. Never looked back since.
    Censura - Add reviews and ratings to your site