SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please review my phone cases site

Hi! Just a couple of weeks ago I created a new site called Popular Phone Cases. This is the first time I've ever created a website, and I'm doing it on my own. I don't have much coding knowledge, and have been learning about that, and SEO, as I go.

The main things I would like to be evaluated on are in regard to SEO, and how it looks like I'm doing there. I know that search engines don't see images, so I am trying to work on adding more text. If I continue the format I am going with now, but add more content, will I be getting enough text/keywords in? Are there other ways I could additionally boost my keywords/SEO with the format I am working with now?

Any thoughts overall would be appreciated!

http://www.popularphonecases.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

SEO cant see image but in seo terms in image but where you can image set alt text,
    try to set your url seo friendly means try to use - otherthan use _ sign,set your url and alt text as possible same as.
    try to make content of your website unique.

you are also get more info in google....

thanx regards

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ->The product page is well organised but the landing page need more optimization as the inner pages are dynamic.
    ->The landing page as well as category pages contain many images so take care of images with quality and proper alt,title desc and it would be appreciable if on mouse over gives some info so that it will be easy channelize to the detailed/product page.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey,

I'm new to the forum and a fairly new designer myself hoping to go into web design once I graduate. Just a couple suggestions from my elementary point of view here...

It looks like you have a lot of options for different cases on each page which can be good or bad. It can be fairly confusing if your looking to quickly flip through and locate a certain case. Possibly add a hover drop-down menu to your navigation which could house the "Vintage Style", "Cute", "Brand Name", ect. Search engines could still identify your text through those sub-heads and content then.
    One other thing was that I was expected to be taken back to your home page when I clicked on the case image in your header. I'm not too sure if that is a featured case or something along those lines but I would try and specify exactly what you were trying to do with that image.

Hope this helps!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    in my opinion there needs to be something a bit more modern in the design of the website, the age group that is targeting would be relatively young and would be sharing on pintrest facebook etc so more development may be needed to develop a social edge to the website.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poshwebdeveloper View Post
    Hello,

SEO cant see image but in seo terms in image but where you can image set alt text,
    try to set your url seo friendly means try to use - otherthan use _ sign,set your url and alt text as possible same as.
    try to make content of your website unique.

you are also get more info in google....

thanx regards
    Thanks for the feedback-I'm going to go check into alt text, as I know nothing about it. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by varindia View Post
    ->The product page is well organised but the landing page need more optimization as the inner pages are dynamic.
    ->The landing page as well as category pages contain many images so take care of images with quality and proper alt,title desc and it would be appreciable if on mouse over gives some info so that it will be easy channelize to the detailed/product page.
    I had been thinking that maybe the landing page should show some overview of all the pages...I'll have to work on that!

I like the idea of being able to mouse over the images and then having a description or something come up; at this point I don't know how to do that, so I'll have to look into that one. Thanks for your feedback!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajlimanowski View Post
    Hey,

I'm new to the forum and a fairly new designer myself hoping to go into web design once I graduate. Just a couple suggestions from my elementary point of view here...

It looks like you have a lot of options for different cases on each page which can be good or bad. It can be fairly confusing if your looking to quickly flip through and locate a certain case. Possibly add a hover drop-down menu to your navigation which could house the "Vintage Style", "Cute", "Brand Name", ect. Search engines could still identify your text through those sub-heads and content then.
    One other thing was that I was expected to be taken back to your home page when I clicked on the case image in your header. I'm not too sure if that is a featured case or something along those lines but I would try and specify exactly what you were trying to do with that image.

Hope this helps!
    Thanks for your suggestions! A drop down menu would be a great idea! Also, I sounds like I need to get a "home" button up there. The case in the header is more of a featured case, and I thought it might be something I would trade out on occasion, but I could see how it could be mistaken as a home button.

Thanks!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scott graham View Post
    in my opinion there needs to be something a bit more modern in the design of the website, the age group that is targeting would be relatively young and would be sharing on pintrest facebook etc so more development may be needed to develop a social edge to the website.
    That's a good thought...one thing I thought of doing was just making the social networking buttons more apparent, instead of having them on the bottom. I'll try to think if other ways to improve my social edge. Thank you!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow its really good

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice site, not much wrong with it but I'd do the following:

1. Make the header and menu a bit smaller, it takes up a lot of useful space.

2. Maybe have categories for phone covers and show a smaller amount on each page, there's a lot of scrolling to do to see everything at once.

Nice site though.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would suggest using a normal font like Arial, the one used now it`s not very eye-friendly. And the whole page seems like it needs more touch-ups, looks unfinished.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

When I visit your website I don't see a single phone case unless I scroll down, I only see text in boxes. I would have clicked out of the site immediately since there would have been so many search results to check through with limited time. But when I scroll down the cases look great. Definitely I would put them at the top of the site. Those images are everything for you, so they should be prominently displayed.
    Chuck
    --------------------------
    Add Poker Tables to your Website
    http://www.PlugInPoker.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to agree with the comments about modern design and font.

The point of the modern design comment wasn't just social features. The target audience is young, so the site should scream young, hip and cool.

That headline font is part of the problem. It has an old feel to it, but perhaps more importantly, it's hard to read and distracting. The place for interesting fonts is logos and very short ad copy. After that, the basics are best.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, I really like the presentation of the phone cases. I am a little split on the overall design: I seems to work overall, however, I also feel that it could be designed to be more appealing. I also think it might be better to have a general landing page and not default to the iPhone5. As a general performance tip, I would suggest combining your css files.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mathewclarke View Post
    wow its really good
    Thanks!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidjwest View Post
    Nice site, not much wrong with it but I'd do the following:

1. Make the header and menu a bit smaller, it takes up a lot of useful space.

2. Maybe have categories for phone covers and show a smaller amount on each page, there's a lot of scrolling to do to see everything at once.

Nice site though.
    Thanks! I changed the size of the header and menu boxes; they were taking up a lot of space!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    Hi,

When I visit your website I don't see a single phone case unless I scroll down, I only see text in boxes. I would have clicked out of the site immediately since there would have been so many search results to check through with limited time. But when I scroll down the cases look great. Definitely I would put them at the top of the site. Those images are everything for you, so they should be prominently displayed.
    I see what you mean! I've added a home page with cases up at the top, and am going to try to work in some other ways to get them closer to the top on the other pages. Thanks for the feedback!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow looking different..

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A more readable font for the body would be better. And a simple logo would suffice, rather than the long text-like title.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, you website looks ok. It's ok to be concern by the SEO but Organic trafic is more and more difficult to build.
    You have to work hard and you'll probably have to invest in PPC if you want to stand out from all competitors.
    You have great product and if you are able to bring people to your website you should be able to convert.
    You could have more exclusive content, a blog could be a good idea to build your SEO.
    I hope it helps

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too blocky with ancient nav drop down and ancient google search bar. The sectioning works but you need to improve your frontend skills in presentation and perhaps look into a framework like wordpress and transition as your skills improve to JS/CSS3 backbone.js so you can use more modern search plugins.

is craving 'the potato' slayerment's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is my take from an SEO perspective.

You're going to have a hard time bringing in phone case traffic with only 9 thin pages.

You're really only going to bring in traffic through this niche with links or lots of content. Because your rev model is through Zazzle it's going to be really hard to develop this site as a brand or anything worthy of harnessing quality links.

From an SEO point of view there are thousands of photo cases sites just like yours that do the same thing you do. You have a site with content that Zazzle provides and you offer nothing different than many competitors.

So before even critiquing things like links, content and title text you should think about how to create a solid brand. Your site doesn't offer anything unique. It has no unique content, no unique products and no unique value. I'm not trying to be beat you up, just trying to get you to think in terms similar to how the top sites think. That is what I would focus on #1 from an SEO perspective. What can you offer that other sites can't?

Go to Google and type in your main keyword you want to rank for. Go through the top 10 sites and look at what they are doing. Use this as a starting point for how your site should be built. None of them will be thin 9 page sites, for phone case type keywords anyway. All of them will be brands that offer something unique and of value.

Good luck!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not in love with these big square icons. It kind of just takes up space, isn't eye-catching, and hinders my ability to find more pages on your site.

You need better site title than 'Home'. Also you need better meta description than "The one stop destination for customizable phone cases!", something longer with more specific keywords in it.

Also, why have social media buttons if they don't link anywhere?

Lastly, on your about/contact page -- please put in some form validation. Require some elements and check for certain formats, you can do this all in HTML5. Your contact form just let me push submit with nothing in it at all and it's been loading for like 2 minutes now. Not good at all.