SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope I am posting this question in the correct forum. I'm trying to develop my first web site using Notepad. When I view my results on my 14" screen, the tables look like they are supposed to. But when I view my work on my 13 1/2" laptop screen the last horizontal table doesn't go to the bottom of the screen. Any suggestions? Could it be my <br> tags inbetween the tables? Is there a way to make tables automatically adjust to the size of a screen?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Resolution differences are going to change how your tables end up being displayed. Unless you define (with pixels) all the sizes of your cells and tables to the smallest possible resolution your table will look different when viewed at 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, etc. If you are using percentages to define the table size, then the browser will display the table to fill the screen as much as it can (assuming you set the table size to 100%). But I think that only works for horizontal, not vertical. You can design a page so that it fills the screen top to bottom and left to right at a certain resolution, but if the page is viewed at a different resolution the page will look different. I'm sure there is a way to detect what resolution the viewer is using and then direct them to a page that is customized for that resolution. If that's what you need, try posting a query on the "client-side scripting forum", or you may be able to find a script that will work here: http://javascript.internet.com. <br> tags would just push whatever is below lower. So, if you added more, then you would have to scroll down on your 14" monitor to see the bottom. I'm not sure If I helped to answer your question. Or just added more Qs
    --Bill
    Lake Superior Smokin' Brews Make It Different: Brew Your Own!
    L'Etoile du Nord Web Development Providing Real Direction in a Virtual World
    MSN IM: smokinbrews-AT-hotmail-DOT-com
    Brewin', Vintin' & Smokin' Forums Moderator

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, I am using percentages for my table sizes, and the problem is with the vertical part for sure! At SitePoint, under the Webmaster Toolbox by: M. Mickiewicz I found a utility named Browser Sizer http://www.applythis.com/browsersizer/. It is supposed to let you view your website at various resolutions. I downloaded it today and now I am trying to figure out how to apply it. Ever tried it? Thanks for your ideas. Every little piece of advise for this newbie only helps.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't really tried BrowserSizer. just downloaded it and played a little bit with it. When I test different resolutions, I just change my screen properties (right click on your wallpaper and select "properties"). If you are trying to make your site look the same at all resolutions that may be impossible (unless it is only going to be viewed at a certain resolution but possibly on different sized screens). Usually the hard part is just trying to make it look good at all resolutions. There's nothing wrong with a verticle scroll bar. I really only worry about trying to make my index page fit onto a full screen, no more, but I've kind of given up on that lately. Good luck
    --Bill
    Lake Superior Smokin' Brews Make It Different: Brew Your Own!
    L'Etoile du Nord Web Development Providing Real Direction in a Virtual World
    MSN IM: smokinbrews-AT-hotmail-DOT-com
    Brewin', Vintin' & Smokin' Forums Moderator

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by emyers
    Yep, I am using percentages for my table sizes, and the problem is with the vertical part for sure! At SitePoint, under the Webmaster Toolbox by: M. Mickiewicz I found a utility named Browser Sizer http://www.applythis.com/browsersizer/. It is supposed to let you view your website at various resolutions. I downloaded it today and now I am trying to figure out how to apply it. Ever tried it? Thanks for your ideas. Every little piece of advise for this newbie only helps.
    BrowserSizer is great, but I like to switch resolutions when I check for compatibility.

Try this:
    -Right-click your desktop
    -choose Settings tab (at the top)
    -click the Advanced button
    -set "Show settings icon on taskbar" to on
    -click OK, then OK again
    -you should have a little monitor icon in the system tray (near the time)
    -right-click the monitor icon and you can instantly change to different resolutions in a breeze

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The desktop right-click is a great idea. I'll use that. Here's why the vertical part is so important. My last table has a background color height=100 pix. and width=100%. Each page has the same bottom table, but with a different background color and about one line of information. I'd like for the bottom tables on each page to be the same height (or close to)as someone browses through the site. I thought of using frames. That solves the problem of height, but the background color and information would remain the same. I'll continue to experiment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I played around with your site a little and I don't believe the problem is with your tables, but the background image. The ratio between how your image is resizing and how the tables on the screen resize does not stay the same. If you want a particular nested table or cell to have a background image, the set a solid color gif (6px X 6px) as the background.
    Westmich
    Smart Web Solutions for Smart Clients
    http://www.mindscapecreative.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, Westmich - When you say that you played around with my site a little, where did you find it? Did you get the code from my question posted on 9/28 Help With Tables and HTML? Just wondering. Thanks.