SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why is that when i reveal my age people suddenly dont want to do business with you no more.

I have more experience, no doubt, than the guy they go and hire. It is not like my backends are "comprimisable" or my scripts not optimized. In fact quite the opposite...

Some people are okay but i came accross one guy today who hired me to create for him a mailing list program. It was not you average mailing list script and required a bit of the old cranium grizzle.

I sent it to him and he complimented me on how well it worked. Then he sent me an email asking what i did for a job, so i said "i'm a high school student i'm 15 yrs old".

So the ******* (escuse langauge) uninstalled the script and will now not pay me...

It is really annoying!!!

I would like to hear what other people - old and young - have to say on this...
    SiteOptions >> Services :: Products :: Contact
    Developers of PHP, C++, Visual Basic, MySQL, and more!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 15 and I hope that doesn't happen to me when I start learning backend...

Though it hasn't really happened to me yet, I think thats because I charge lower then some of the 'adult' designers do, so they don't really care how old I am.
    russell.cz.cc - coming soon (I promise!)

Idea Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im 16, and i work for myself, making money from advertisments, not to get ripped off.
    Professional PHP programing / Hosting
    aim: downtoi3iz icq: 74637813

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's something every teenage developer will have to deal with unfortunatly...however I think a lot of people are becoming more open-minded towards the thought of hiring someone young...my clients always think it's kind of "neat" that I'm so young...IE: they're surprised, and usually like to ask general questions about how I got involved at this age.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would have lied and said that I was a college student or something...
    Thread Closed - Before and After.
    www.Gods101.co.uk - Affordable Quality.
    www.scepticism-inc.com - All extremists should be taken out and shot!

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't this called discrimination?

Just because someone is 15 or 75 it's no reason to distrust him/her.

IMHO it's just the product that counts, but well, who am I...
    www.nyanko.ws - My web-, software- and game development company.
    www.mayaposch.com - My personal site and blog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, in that case it depends on the situation. If you've written a script they requested, and it works, that should be the end of it - no problems. However, if they are CONSIDERING you for a job, I don't consider it "wrong" to doubt a teenager's ability to meet a deadline or other such things.

I don't think it always makes sense, but the customer is always right, and should be allowed to make any decision they like on who they hire...no matter how racist, rude, stupid, or prejuidice (sp?)...hey, it's their loss!

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, you're right, Chris, but it still makes me feel uncomfortable...
    www.nyanko.ws - My web-, software- and game development company.
    www.mayaposch.com - My personal site and blog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't blame you...I get a tad nervous about my age at times. However, I think it's worth it. Trying to make money/do business at a young age present plenty of problems, but I think we're all thankful that we're in this position while we're still young...many of us have a head-start on things.

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That guy who uninstalled your script is asking for it. Chances are he may have just said he uninstalled it because he thought he could get away with not paying you because you're 15.

You got ripped off.

Chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got this story of a German student. He is about 17 years old. He discovered a way to get 500 kbs trough a regular WAP mobile instead of 2 or 3kbs. He went to Nokia but they didn't even let him in... Than he went to the government after winning a price and they brought him to Siemens. I'm sure the guys of Siemens are making good profits of his discovery...

Christophe

exit();
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure..but you may be able to file a lawsuit about that.

It's called Age Discrimination. You can read more about it at USLaw.com or ask your lawyer if you have one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When people find out I'm only a teenager, they are amazed. I haven't actually got rejected on some offer (that I'm aware of) because of my age. Most of time, people praise me more than cause problems, like some of you designers have experienced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is very interesting to read other peoples opinions.

Now that i have calmed down - i was angry when i posted yesterday - and have looked at the situation from a more perspective viewpoint i am forced to take heed of the fact that i have never run into a problem like this before.

I also dont really think it is worth my time to chase up the problem, afterall i still have the code. And if he doesn't pay well in my opinion he shouldn't get what he paid for, sole usage of the script.

I actually agree 100% with what Chris said about the buyers choice, however i would query whether that still stands if you have been contracted to do something and they decide after the work is done that they do no want you. If age was such an issue to them they should ask prior to the agreement date.

I suppose i must just sit back and say "ahg **** i got ripped off but what the heck i dont only do this for money!!!"

Cheers Guys

[Edited by jamesglewisf on 11-15-2000 at 06:29 PM]
    SiteOptions >> Services :: Products :: Contact
    Developers of PHP, C++, Visual Basic, MySQL, and more!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today we played soccer. However it was blue vs red, and well some people didn't have red on. Well I got one kid messed up who is a "bigshot", and well I went to get the ball when he was coming to shoot, and just kicked it out of the way - really easy to do. Well he gave me **** the rest of the hour cause I was on HIS team, and he said we could have one, and he was like "Don't you like loosing". Well we broke up and made teams and played full court. I smoked his ***.
    Fiber
    fiber@liquid2k.com
    "Prepare yourself, it's da human beatbox"

Idea Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why would you do that if your on his team?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    Necrominator, why don't you try posting a reply that is help full or more then a 1 line? Every post I ever saw you make were 1 line long and didn't help anyone with there question.

Just so you know, I think Adam acidentaly kicked the ball beacuse people didn't have the right colors on.

I just started a web design company and I'm only 13, I hope I don't get discriminated against, but I don't think I will. People I talk to say that theyed rather me make them a site beacuse they think it's great that young people are starting buisnesses. Just think of what the economy would be like if there wern't all these 20 year old millienairs starting ebuisnesses? Older people just arn't used to the internet. It's like trying to learn to ride a bike when your 85. We grew up with the internet and I couldn't imagian my life without it but yet my Mom can't even turn the computer on.

Thats just my 2 cents.

[Edited by justin_sampson on 10-03-2000 at 07:26 PM]

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by justin_sampson
    Hi,
    Necrominator, why don't you try posting a reply that is help full or more then a 1 line? Every post I ever saw you make were 1 line long and didn't help anyone with there question.
    I am also fed up with all of necrominators useless postings. I haven't seen one useful post nor one that made any sense. I don't think he is breaking any rules, but I don't think anyone is glad he is around...

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by necrominator
    Why would you do that if your on his team?
    I didn't know cause A) Not enough jerseys, B) Some people didn't wear them C) They wore colors that were similiar to the others. D) I didn't understand the whole part of the game (who was on offense and defense - this was a drill).

He still is a ***** though. When we were playing Ultimate Football, I was walking back and he pushes me.

Also - justin_samson - you were right. Part of the deal is I didn't know because of the colors. Correct.

Also, I agree with aidian bahta that you have no senseless, or useful posts. Not saying you should be banned, but your post was useless.

And also - I didn't kick the ball. I just easily kicked it over 4 feet, so I don't seem as stupid as I do.

The whole part of this, is how he - this bigshot prep with a Ford Explorer (Seen him Sunday do a u-turn, and pull into a gas station, get loads of junk and peel away), and gives me ****, about how I was stupid, and I didn't want to win.

[Edited by Adam Lysne on 10-03-2000 at 07:48 PM]
    Fiber
    fiber@liquid2k.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by abahta
    Originally posted by justin_sampson
    Hi,
    I am also fed up with all of necrominators useless postings. I haven't seen one useful post nor one that made any sense. I don't think he is breaking any rules, but I don't think anyone is glad he is around...
    I agree. If you're going to post, make it worth it.

Idea Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have some good posts, often i ask one line questions or go like huh to posts that dont make sense to me, basicly i give my 2 cents, which isnt much, but I have some good stuff.

Also before you get all fed up, look at the post i replied to:::
    Today we played soccer. However it was blue vs red, and well some people didn't have red on. Well I got one kid messed up who is a "bigshot", and well I went to get the ball when he was coming to shoot, and just kicked it out of the way - really easy to do. Well he gave me **** the rest of the hour cause I was on HIS team, and he said we could have one, and he was like "Don't you like loosing". Well we broke up and made teams and played full court. I smoked his ***.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by necrominator
    I have some good posts, often i ask one line questions or go like huh to posts that dont make sense to me, basicly i give my 2 cents, which isnt much, but I have some good stuff.

Also before you get all fed up, look at the post i replied to:::

What about it?

The whole point is that he kept on giving me **** only cause he could. Of course I let him, cause he stopped right away. He thought HE was better than me. Even in ultimate football. He comes running behind me, when I am playing defense and jumps on me...get it?

I didn't mean to be harsh as it sounds.
    Fiber
    fiber@liquid2k.com

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack! Fluffykins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A discussion on age discrimination in professional design turned into a debate on a game of football. Now *that* is wierd!

Incidentally, i've been working in staff training teaching website design since I was 17. Now i'm 20 it tends not to be so much of a problem, but back then I was teaching college staff and got a lot of flak cos they assumed because of my age I couldn't possibly know what I was doing. So, it does happen!

Ady
    v-technologies - Freelance Goodness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Re: "A discussion on age discrimination in professional design...."

Don't worry. You'll grow out of it.

TigerTom
    http://www.tigertom.com/web-site-design.shtml

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have similar experiences with people who think I'm too young to possibly know anything about web design. Usually, though, when people find out I'm only 16, they find it more interesting than offensive. They ask me how I got started, and find out eventually that just because I'm young doesn't mean I'm stupid.

I think a change is taking place -- I think soon people will realize that young people aren't all slackers.
    Considering an online presence? Consider it done!
    MW Web Creations -- http://www.mwcreations.com/