SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Review my new anime site for anime fans

    I've been working on my anime site for quite a long time. I just need some suggestions on the current design of the site, how long it took you to get it loaded, and the functionality of it.

    Currently, users can write reviews for anime and recommend them as well. I am planning on adding a way for users to create lists of their favourite anime as well.

    This is the site's url: http://phanime.net/

    Let me know what you guys think, and feedback would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    ralph.m's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, AU
    Posts
    24,109
    Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    The site loaded quickly for me, which is a good sign (often they don't). One thing I'd recommend is some kind of introduction on the home page. There's no kind of welcoming introduction that tells me why the site exists, what I can do here and what I should do first. I always find that really useful.
    Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | Web Design Tips | Free Contact Form

    Forum Usage: Tips on posting code samples, images and more

    Forrest Gump: "IE is like a box of chocolates: you never know what you're gonna get."

  3. #3
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Warrenville, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, it loaded quickly with no issue. My only negative critiques are as follows:
    1) Your logo has a bit of "blur" to it in the white balloon area. That could be cleaned up a bit.
    2) The second critique is security related. I can tell very quickly that you are using Wordpress which makes your life easier, but opens you up to hacks. I may recommend:
    a) Changing your admin path from : wp-admin to something else.
    b) If you can't do that, just verify you have a strong password.

    Otherwise, nice site...keep up the good work!

  4. #4
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great look and style. Good work! My suggestions are the following:

    1. Hire a designer to create cleaner logo. It will cost you only 20-30 us dollars.
    2. It would be logical to write a big heading what your website offer, because user can find it a bit confusing in the beginning.

    To cut a long story short - keep up a good work

  5. #5
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the scrolling banner on top. It looks exciting and current. Keep up the good work!

  6. #6
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph.m View Post
    The site loaded quickly for me, which is a good sign (often they don't). One thing I'd recommend is some kind of introduction on the home page. There's no kind of welcoming introduction that tells me why the site exists, what I can do here and what I should do first. I always find that really useful.
    That's a good suggestion. I'll look for a way to let visitors know exactly what the site is for and what it can do for them.



    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan McIntyre View Post
    I agree, it loaded quickly with no issue. My only negative critiques are as follows:
    1) Your logo has a bit of "blur" to it in the white balloon area. That could be cleaned up a bit.
    2) The second critique is security related. I can tell very quickly that you are using Wordpress which makes your life easier, but opens you up to hacks. I may recommend:
    a) Changing your admin path from : wp-admin to something else.
    b) If you can't do that, just verify you have a strong password.

    Otherwise, nice site...keep up the good work!

    1) I am currently in the middle of getting my logo redesigned and having the character updated. It should look a lot better once it's finished.

    2) That's a good idea, I'll look into changing the directory name


    Quote Originally Posted by w101net View Post
    Great look and style. Good work! My suggestions are the following:

    1. Hire a designer to create cleaner logo. It will cost you only 20-30 us dollars.
    2. It would be logical to write a big heading what your website offer, because user can find it a bit confusing in the beginning.

    To cut a long story short - keep up a good work
    1) The logo is being worked on, it should look a lot cleaner once it's done.

    2) Yea, I am planning on adding a quick note to let the visitors know what the site is for.


    Thank you all for the suggestions / reviews

  7. #7
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any other suggestions and opinions? I've been editing the theme and have changed the look of the site even further.

  8. #8
    It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    ralph.m's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, AU
    Posts
    24,109
    Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    I still recommend an intro. In taking another look, the first thing I saw was a big ad for domain names. I know these sites need to make some money, but wow, if the first thing I see in the site is a great big ad ...
    Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | Web Design Tips | Free Contact Form

    Forum Usage: Tips on posting code samples, images and more

    Forrest Gump: "IE is like a box of chocolates: you never know what you're gonna get."

  9. #9
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i love the colors and the clean feel of it!

    1: i think the space between the left column and right column is a bit excessive
    2: the space between rows of animes is not consistent (see bottom content section)
    3: the list of genres can be turned into a column, as well as the list of videos that appear below it, so as to make the user scroll less

  10. #10
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Design is very sleek and clean. When I went to a random video, it never loaded. You might want to check that out, and I also like the logo.

  11. #11
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph.m View Post
    I still recommend an intro. In taking another look, the first thing I saw was a big ad for domain names. I know these sites need to make some money, but wow, if the first thing I see in the site is a great big ad ...
    A great big ad? I only have an ad in the header, nothing else.

    The intro will eventually come, hopefully.


    Quote Originally Posted by sentientsystem View Post
    i love the colors and the clean feel of it!

    1: i think the space between the left column and right column is a bit excessive
    2: the space between rows of animes is not consistent (see bottom content section)
    3: the list of genres can be turned into a column, as well as the list of videos that appear below it, so as to make the user scroll less
    1: Now that I look at it, you're quite right. I'll figure out a way to reduce the space between the left column and right columns.

    2: I am not exactly sure what you are referring to, are you talking about the 4 anime displayed on the front page? The space between those are consistent.

    3: That's on my to-do list, I'll be adding more ways to search / filter our anime.

    Quote Originally Posted by wuic View Post
    Great site. I think you need to improve layout and to add an introduction
    The introduction is on it's way, please be more specific on what you think needs to be improved with the layout.


    Quote Originally Posted by wildlyfe View Post
    Design is very sleek and clean. When I went to a random video, it never loaded. You might want to check that out, and I also like the logo.
    I'm working on adding all the videos, lots of the pages are still blank. In any case, we have a report button under each video, which you can click to notify the staff.

  12. #12
    SitePoint Enthusiast WebOutGateway's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Pasig City, Philippines
    Posts
    99
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you should not place the banner ad beside your logo so that it won't make confusion, perhaps you could place it on the side or one space below your logo. And I'm also wondering why the shuffle button has "random article" notification when it's being hovered, I think it should be like "random anime" or "random video"
    Witness how bright ideas transform into your website needs.
    Visit and connect us now for your
    Mobile Application Development requirements.

  13. #13
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WebOutGateway View Post
    I think you should not place the banner ad beside your logo so that it won't make confusion, perhaps you could place it on the side or one space below your logo. And I'm also wondering why the shuffle button has "random article" notification when it's being hovered, I think it should be like "random anime" or "random video"
    I've fixed that little error with Random Article, it should now say Random Anime. As for the the ad beside the logo, I guess I'll move it some place else.

  14. #14
    Team SitePoint
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    22
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you want your social buttons at the top of the page. The Link Sharing you'll get through the social networks will really help get some organic traffic to your site for sure.

  15. #15
    SitePoint Wizard webcosmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    1,480
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everything looks just great, choice of colors, user friendliness, just love it. But i agree those Socials should be on top of the page

  16. #16
    SitePoint Zealot
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    122
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My suggestions regarding your site is to put the social media icons on the navigation bar giving it more attention. Can you make the thumbnails for the "Recent Episodes Releases" and "Recently Added Anime Series" the same width so that they are perfectly aligned. Aside from that i can see no more problems regarding the page and it loads quickly also.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  17. #17
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think good for anime site...
    color of site white, is very simple...
    but very eye catching...
    so, happy long time to saw a site

  18. #18
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have choose Shafia Wp theme which is very nice and beautiful. Though you have put the content very nicely and good one.

    You can use W3 total Cache to improve your page speed more.

  19. #19
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    casinobonus66
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    who.
    I love the scrolling banner on top. It looks exciting and current. Keep up the good work!

  20. #20
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    India
    Posts
    35
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can be a better logo. And social icons to be moved.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •