Hybrid View

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy PicnicTutorials's Avatar
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can you review my new site please?

Hello

I changed domains and redesigned my bland old site. I finally put it live this morning. The bulk of it is done. There are still some small details to work out. Like I see the text is a bit hard to read on the transparent BG. So I'll be putting backgrounds on the paragraphs. All the text on the code pages need some CSSing. I built the nav menu like that on purpose. The nav in the footer is meant to be not the primary one. And you can turn the animation ON/OFF in the top right corner. It was the most fun site I have ever built. What do you think? Thanks! http://goo.gl/QCSOX

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overall I don't think you have done a bad job at all!

I like the fact that you added the option to switch off that animation because that was the first thing to annoy me, luckily it was easy enough to find the off button.

I find the dark text on the blue buttons a bit hard to read so perhaps lightening them up a bit would be a good move. Breaking up the text a bit into readable paragraphs would also we a good idea as it seems a little bunched up.

The footer nav, I can certainly see where you are going with it but it's not for me as it feels like the page is supposed to end much sooner and feels like a waste of space for the want of a menu in a thinking cloud :P That is just my own feelings on it and I am sure others may love it.

This would be a great site to make as a responsive site. I like to read ebooks and look up code snippets on my galaxy tab while coding on my main pc so having them in my hand so to speak is very useful for me, although I wouldn't be sure how the menus would work.

I had a bit of trouble at first figuring out how to get back to the home page, then realised i had to click on the animation. I guess I am one of those people that expect things in a certain place, I wouldn't expect a logo to move across the screen!

That said, its a fantastic idea, especially since most of the snippet sites i have seen over the years have been aesthetically boring your is quite refreshing

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the way, before i posted my comment I clicked on the link to see your site without reading your post! It is quite late here so apologies if i wrote stuff you already mentioned!

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey,

I saw the website and it is good in every parts of website. the design, navigation and yes content of the website. Url structure is also very well. Si i think threre is no need to change any thing in this website now. Just focus on the loading time.

SitePoint Member James_Thompson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having agreed with some remarks above I'll add a bite of mine. In general everything is OK, but the text is really hard to read on the transparent background and on the blue colored background of menu items boxes. Another moment is that it would be better to place your site menu above "How To Web Design & Code Snippets" to gain access to menu more easily. That's all, other moments deserve only a praise, nice site with a lot of useful info.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Instead of making the animation on as default, I think it should be the other way around. Maybe you should have it so the animation is originally off, and then users can turn it on if they really wanted to. I say this because it took just a over a second till I realized the position of the logo, and where I had to click to go back to the home page. Most users simply click on the logo to go back to the homepage, the logo is usually placed towards the left or sometimes in the centre. If the logo is moving the button back to the home page is also then moving. This can become a slight/irritating problem. It's nothing too big, but it can definitely be rectified with a small little change.

On another note, the content looks good, but I think you should be a little more subtle with the way you've laid out the tutorials. The repetition of the blue bars for each tutorials is for some reason a little hard to look at. Maybe the list should be a little more simplistic, letting the user focus on the titles of the tutorials more than the actual style around them?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is impressive! You really know your stuff! The functionality and content great. Personally though, my first reaction to your design was that it was for kids. It has a very child-like look and feel to it but thats not a bad thing. It is easy to navigate and understand. Good work!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys. I'm very slowly working on some of these suggestions. A few so far are on the money. Keep them coming!

I'm working on the nav location. And the broken links and many many etc

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am impressed by the amount of content you have compiled. Your goal IS ambitious but you are on your way. If I were you I would consider modifying the theme of the website. A more sophisticated appearance may lend credibility to your efforts. I will bookmark your page the event that I have questions of my own! I wish you the best of luck on all of your future endeavors!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am really impressed with all your information! I've just started my own website, and am really lacking in code knowledge, so I can see your site as being one I could turn to for help. The loading time was very fast, and it's easy to navigate. Having the ability to turn off animation is always a plus, and it's nice that it's easy to find. Great looking site, and very informative!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make sure you clear your cache. Hows this? http://www.websitecodetutorials.com/ I've made some of the improvements some mentioned. Is it looking better? Need anything else? Thanks

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice. 2 weeks and a few of my tuts are already on the first page of google for their specific key words. In 6 years that never happened with my old domain and layout. Cool - cool.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really do like the design of the site. I feel as though maybe the background banner could move a bit faster as it takes about 20 seconds before you can actually see the content of the banner, it's an airplane I think it should move a little faster than the clouds. Also I am not too keen on the location of the navigation being hidden behind the main content until you scroll down, but after a second look at the site I noticed the navigation bar on the top right. I actually didn't even notice it the first time I loaded the site as my attention was drawn to the background animations. I do like the design and the animations though. Also maybe you can try a different color on the section/article headers. Maybe I'm just not fond of the pastel type color scheme. Overall though it looks really good and I'd be very proud of myself I were to develop a design of that quality. Good work on the site.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the kind words. Ya I struggled with were to put the nav. And the menu for that matter. I could put the nav under the h1 of each page. But it seems more understated were its at. Which I want. I also do not like how the nav is inassesable untill you scroll back up. I'm going to implement a nice jquery back to top button and a breadcrumb nav up top under the h1. That should round everything out just fine.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the overall design of your site, but I really don't like the animations. Animations and blinking text are big turn-offs for me.

I also am not sure why there is a comments section on the home page. Allowing comments on articles is great, but a comments section on the home page seems a bit out of place.

Aside from those few things, I love the look of your site.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SitePoint Member James_Thompson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EricWatson View Post
    That's good, now everything is OK. Nice site and good work.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, it`s a very nice site, and i like a lot the way you placed the "Tree menu" Good job

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the site though its so colorful but what i like is the content. I can now choose which codes i will use for my sites too.

Thanks a bunch man.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the graphics.. and it looks fun indeed!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! Anyone see anything else I've overlooked?

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say that you have done a great job on your website both on the design and content. Even i liked the concept of your website like having the background image and thinking of site.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well designed and colourful but I would have inserted photos inbetween your directories topics to break it down and make it a little more interesting for the viewer.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the content here is great. From the posts I checked out, I found them all to be useful. My criticism is that there was an overwhelming amount of information delivered upfront. I think I would have preferred a "Featured Demos" section with a text blurb for each describing what I would learn. And then maybe the categories of other demos are accessible along with a search box, but I wouldn't list every single lesson upfront.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nsdub View Post
    I think the content here is great. From the posts I checked out, I found them all to be useful. My criticism is that there was an overwhelming amount of information delivered upfront. I think I would have preferred a "Featured Demos" section with a text blurb for each describing what I would learn. And then maybe the categories of other demos are accessible along with a search box, but I wouldn't list every single lesson upfront.
    Yeah I would tend to agree with you. Most other sites of its kind do as you suggested. Therefore they are more visually appealing in that way. But in doing so finding information is not "at ones finger tips" as it is in mine. I guess that was a conscious decision on my part. But as you said there is always the search bar. I guess I went for the "shock and all" with it. Having too much of a good thing is a good thing in this case - yeah?