SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Web-app for managing and delegating tasks.

Hi!
    I started to develop a web-app for task management as a hobby project. Currently Iím quite happy with its functionality but I'm not sure about design and usability. After all, Iím not a designer My target is to make everything as simple as possible but also good looking. So I would very appreciate your feedback/ideas. Additionally, how do you like the logo?

http://www.deleg8.net

Thank you!

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Interesting effort, Lukas83. I'll admit that I'm not that keen on the home page, only because it could look a tad more modern (which I think encourages trust, at least in me). There are lots of app sites out there with pretty spiffy designs that make them look like they have money behind them, so to speak.

That said, I really love your Tour page. It's very rare to get such a clear walk through of an app like that, so big points for that. I would, however, recommend you make the link to that page a big, shiny, inviting button on your home page. On your home page I'd also like to see a big intro line, in big text, that introduces the app in one sentence. It's always good to have something like that.

Lastly, I assume you are German (or similar—I hope that's not insulting!). I thought it was kind of cute that your tour page says "managing und delegating tasks", and that your email notification says "direkt link". Minor points, but something to watch out for.
    Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | Web Design Tips | Free Contact Form

Forum Usage: Tips on posting code samples, images and more

Forrest Gump: "IE is like a box of chocolates: you never know what you're gonna get."

SitePoint Enthusiast WebOutGateway's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well the design is too simple. One good thing about it is that the message you want to convey can be grasped easily, very straight to the point. But the tour page, well this is just my opinion, I think it would be better if it has a live demo so that it'll be more interactive, more user-friendly and there's no need to scroll down the page and read all the instructions just to understand what the app does.
    Witness how bright ideas transform into your website needs.
    Visit and connect us now for your
    Mobile Application Development requirements.

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WebOutGateway View Post
    more interactive, more user-friendly
    Those two things don't necessarily go together at all. IMHO, the tour is very clear and logical, and one of the more user friendly guides I've seen. Each step is kept simple and has a graphic to back it up, which is great. Too much scrolling? I don't know what people have against scrolling. Beats clicking show/hide and/or video links any day for me.
    Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | Web Design Tips | Free Contact Form

Forum Usage: Tips on posting code samples, images and more

Forrest Gump: "IE is like a box of chocolates: you never know what you're gonna get."

SitePoint Enthusiast WebOutGateway's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph.m View Post
    Those two things don't necessarily go together at all. IMHO, the tour is very clear and logical, and one of the more user friendly guides I've seen. Each step is kept simple and has a graphic to back it up, which is great. Too much scrolling? I don't know what people have against scrolling. Beats clicking show/hide and/or video links any day for me.
    As I've said, it's only my opinion. I'm more comfortable in clicking than scrolling. Peace.
    Witness how bright ideas transform into your website needs.
    Visit and connect us now for your
    Mobile Application Development requirements.

SitePoint Member James_Thompson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, quite interesting and professionally looking project with a good potential. The only thing I could add is that it would better to place on the main page a short videoclip with a tour and link it to the Tour page.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi!

Thanks for the comments!

@ralph.m: yes, I’m from Austria. Thanks for highlight these typos, I should really use a spellchecker I like the idea with the big intro line, I will try it.

@ WebOutGateway & James: My brother also told me I should make a video instead of a long picture list. But to be honest I think I have to fix the basic design first.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the simplicity of the design in general. However, I noticed that the top bar, where the logo resides is the only thing on the site that seems to be "fluid". If you have a high resolution on your monitor, you'll notice that the logo ends up all the way to the left of your screen while the content is centred and fixed in the middle. I feel that this might not be consistent with the overall design? In my opinion, you should either make the logo static and fixed like the content, so the reader's eyes don't have to wander off to spot your logo, or you could make the content it self fluid as well so it matches with the way the logo is placed.

That's my two cents :P

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good point, I have not tested the site on a large screen. Thanks!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First please let me clarify that I am in the same position as you. I am a programmer and not a designer. Although over the past year or so I have decided that I should learn more about design and thus I have been taking the UI more seriously since I have made myself responsible for the design of my projects. With that said I understand your pains in trying to develop a design that fits the theme of the site. I do like your logo and feel as though you should try to play off of the logo. What I mean by this is try to incorporate some brighter colors throughout the website. The white header text tabs of the slider element is a bit hard for me to read with the white background. Maybe get some stock images on the front page of people working or completing tasks. Also have you thought about adding a navigation to the tour page, like a jump to top or jump to 'how to create a task'. Also I noticed that if you try to create a task with a space in the name the site takes you to a internal 500 error page. Maybe you could capture the submit with jquery and notify the person that the task must be 1 word or work the code so that it can be multiple words.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi! Thanks for your feedback. Task names with space in it are allowed. Do you remember which string you have entered to get the 500 error? Thank you!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Home page is too plain, needs an image or something on it.

The Feedback tab on the left doesn't do anything, at least not using Chrome it doesn't.

Other than that it seems to be OK, there are other sites out there doing the same thing and you need to make sure you are competitive on functionality and usability.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the simplicity. That helps users focus on function.

I'm in the camp that likes the tour as is, but if you do put in a clickable version, use a JavaScript that makes it easy to move between slides. I'd dump the first two slides. People are interested in function and not sign-up process, especially since the sign-up process is pretty typical of what we've all done countless times.

You asked about design, but I also have opinions on function. If you intend to turn this into a real business, you'll need to sync with Google Tasks and have a mobile strategy. I suspect that the design translates well to mobile phones, but have you tested that? Are you considering an iOS and/or Android app?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really? You do it as a hobby. I would like to have a hobby like yours coz that's just amazing. Try to work more on the logo though, just to make it more attractive.