User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Elledan
    Why do more people work at the marketing devision than at the engineering devision of Microsoft?

Simply: Microsoft knows how to sell anything to anybody.
    What does engineering have to do with anything? Engineering is in charge of whether the buildings work properly. Might want to revise that to look at the Product Development department. Of course there are still going to be more sales people than developers but at least get your departments right.

There are more sales people simply because Microsoft has sales offices in every major region in the World and most countries. These people are responsible for bringing in Revenues of course. I don't think you know the true breadth of Microsoft's domain anymore. Operating Systems are only a part of what they do these days. Add to that Internet Operations, Interactive Devices, Games, Business Software, Broadcast television servers, Satellite broadcast systems, and mobile devices and you see a large company... Actually it would be if it was a traditional company like their competitor Hughes (a subsidiary of GM with over 100,000 employees). When you consider that Microsoft has less than 25,000 employees and has one of the largest revenue's in the world you would understand how come they are structured the way they are.

My company's Map Vendor has sold mapping and GIS software to companies like Microsoft, Mercedes Benz, GM, and other large corporations. It is a multi-million dollar company and it has 12 employees. 6 Sales people, 4 Developers and 2 Administrators. They are also the best at what they do.

I really do not like it when people lambast companies and/or individuals when they don't know anything about them. If you dislike the product, don't use it. It is simple as that. Don't try to support your dislike with unsupported half-truths you know nothing about but think sound cool. If your going to try and support your dislike at least research your support better.

[Edited by W. Luke on 10-03-2000 at 02:35 PM]
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to use an old Macintosh SE. Latest version of the MAC OS I have used is 7.0.

The only "alternative" OS, I currently use is IBM's AIX at work. Other than that it is strictly Windows 9X and NT 4.0. Will move into Windows 2000 soon though.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haven't had the opportunity to work on Linux yet, but have the Mac OS. Windows is my OS of choice, still.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been working with Windows since 3.1 and since having this discussion I have decided as soon as i get a permanent job (I work on PC/Windows, unfortunately its my lot in life) I am going to drop Linux into this Laptop I am using to write this reply...

I don't need to 'research' Microsoft to decide whether I like their products or not - I hate their products, they are awful - where I can I use alternatives - like for instance, Eudora, instead of Outlook as an email client.

Microsoft also charge over the odds for EVERYTHING they produce...
    In my early days as a Multimedia Designer I used a Microsoft Multimedia Developement tool which was free, yes thats FREE! , F-R-E-E!!!! Then as soon as they realised that, "oh no, people are actually using that" they stuck a 300 price tag on it!

I like Bill Gates vision (computers in every home, yadda-yadda) but I hate his products, simple as that.

Even the games suck...

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well...I installed BeOS perfectly...restart Windows...then launch the shortcut. I am reminded that WinME doesn't support Real-mode DOS and then told that Be can't run without it.

I looked all over the http://free.be.com site and couldn't find any info about it...

I love BeOS! Is there any way I can use it on this comp?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I booted off the boot floppy, and entered familiar Be perfectly. I am notified that my graphics card is not supported, and this does not surprise me at all (GeForce 2 64MB - too new for ol' BeOS 5). I'll try some old TNT drivers and cross my fingers, or else I'll be at 640x480 & B+W until version 6.

I am having a bit of difficulty setting up my modem. It wasn't recognized automatically...and it wasn't in the "Add new modem" control panel. I'll search around...but if anyone knows what I should do I'd really be glad to hear.

Thanks!

PS: My modem is a Connextant V90 PCI modem.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by abahta
    That is a software based modem.. Chances of getting it to work in an Operating System other than Windows is slim and none....

I would suggest buying a Zoom Hardware based modem. Never had one fail me and it is what I currently own.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Microsoft's problem is that they are trying to be too smart. Their software goes too far out of its way to be annoying.

For example, in Outlook 2000 I'm trying to send an email to owen @ udiscuss.com. Outlook takes it upon itself to look up the address and finds my name in the address book. It then replaces the address with owen @ pbbt.com because that is my "defualt" email. Why the %#&! would I type owen @ udiscuss.com if I didn't want to email THAT particular address?

Geez. It's aweful.

Owen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Owen forget Outlook and use Eudora - it totally rocks and its FREE!!!
    Get it at http://www.eudora.com

Its fairly easy to setup to!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I booted off the boot floppy, and entered familiar Be perfectly. I am notified that my graphics card is not supported, and this does not surprise me at all (GeForce 2 64MB - too new for ol' BeOS 5). I'll try some old TNT drivers and cross my fingers, or else I'll be at 640x480 & B+W until version 6.

I am having a bit of difficulty setting up my modem. It wasn't recognized automatically...and it wasn't in the "Add new modem" control panel. I'll search around...but if anyone knows what I should do I'd really be glad to hear.

Thanks!

Hi, The only driver I had to find for BeOS was for my sound card (which didn't work )- the rest of my hardware worked fine with the default drivers, I just held my breath and put the display at 1024 x 768/60Hz and it worked just fine!?
    The modem was the same - infact it seemed to work better than usual!!?

I took it off coz A: my sound card didn't work and B: it was taking up 100+Mb of valuable space!

Nice looking OS though - quick to!

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another happy BeOS user here!

Since I had cable internet when I used it, I had only to install the network card and I was browsing the 'net.

What me made me uninstall BeOS was the lack of good software titles. Even Linux has more programs written for it!

Still, BeOS is a nice OS to work with.
    www.nyanko.ws - My web-, software- and game development company.
    www.mayaposch.com - My personal site and blog.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by W. Luke
    That is a software based modem.. Chances of getting it to work in an Operating System other than Windows is slim and none....

I would suggest buying a Zoom Hardware based modem. Never had one fail me and it is what I currently own.
    I was almost posative my modem was a Winmodem, and I was almost posative Winmodems don't work outta Windows.

As soon as I get my next paycheck, I'll be able to buy cable Internet Access. I am almost posative that I'll be able to use Be and cable Internet then...right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally dont really like Macs. I have only used them at school, but I don't like them at all. I personally use Windows and FreeBSD 4, which is great.

Temis: If you dont like Windows, Install Unix. The FreeBSD CD is packed full of Apps that are similar to Windows apps. "Everybody" can replace ICQ, plus it has support for AIM, and most other messengers. Gimp can replace Photoshop. The list goes on...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't forget about sun: starOffice is a great powerful cross-platform office suite...

Owen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for that very informative and very helpful post, necrominator.
    Yea I aggree, I already said this to wluke. In one month he has more posts that a lot of people here and I haven't seen a single post by him more than one or two lines. Plus he is a running a "school cheat" site...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Owen
    (Except get a BSOD )
    Excuse my denseness, but what

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to get Linux on my system (HP), and have a question:
    I'm running Dual boot for Win98 + Win98SE
    Can I add Linux as another OS using PartionMagic?
    And by the way, where could I get Linux on the Net?

- Son Nguyen
    AdSpeed.com - Ad Serving and Ad Management Made Easy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BSOD = Blue Screen of Death - what happens when Windows crashes.

Owen

Originally posted by jumpthru
    Originally posted by Owen
    (Except get a BSOD )
    Excuse my denseness, but what

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by 123finder.com
    I want to get Linux on my system (HP), and have a question:
    I'm running Dual boot for Win98 + Win98SE
    Can I add Linux as another OS using PartionMagic?
    And by the way, where could I get Linux on the Net?

Yes. you can make another partition and install Linux on that piece of the HD. I recommend installing it on a different HD (an 'old' 4GB HD is enough), though.

You can get Linux at many places on the web. I recommend this site: http://www.linux.org/dist/english.html

Good luck!
    www.nyanko.ws - My web-, software- and game development company.
    www.mayaposch.com - My personal site and blog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why there are so many variations of Linux? And which one do you guys suggest? I think I just want to learn about Linux/Unix, since this Winter I believe I have to use Unix at school, don't know what they have though

Great thanks
    - Son Nguyen

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by 123finder.com
    Why there are so many variations of Linux? And which one do you guys suggest? I think I just want to learn about Linux/Unix, since this Winter I believe I have to use Unix at school, don't know what they have though

Great thanks
    I have never heard of a school that used UNIX on workstations (unless it was a tech school) but I am sure there are a few. The reason there are so many versions is because anyone can modify Linux...it's open source. People like Linux in different ways, and anyone can change it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I'm in University Of Waterloo,Canada, CS Second Yr, next term we will have to deal with Unix,
    and worse, they will cut my account on PC
    Unix and Unix only!!!

Well, i'm downloading Redhat 6.2 now.
    Hopefully get used to it soon!
    - Son Nguyen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually most 4 year colleges use Unix/Linux and High schools rarely use anything but Macs or Windows. Of course, if Larry Ellison (Oracle) has his way then all schools will use his new "Nic" network linux computer.

Owen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all

I have been using Linux for about ten months, and it has been my only operating system for about 6 months. I started with it solely for the purpose of fooling around, but then realized its superiority to Windows, and started using it exclusively.

Here's why I love Linux:

lots of GOOD free software! Don't believe me? checkout http://www.freshmeat.net/appindex!

vim- in my opinion vim is the best text editor ever. fast, easy to use, and highlight HTML and other programming languages extremely well. Oh ya, did I mention its free?

gimp-i think its easily the equal of photoshop. lots of great features, powerful too.

speed- my current computer is (don't laugh) a p120, 32 megs of RAM, 2 gig hard drive. And with Linux, it is a lot faster than it was with windows.

stability- I have yet to have a screen freeze or OS crash with Linux. Its really quite amazing I was getting them every day or two with windows!

variety- Lots of companies don't make their programs for linux. AOL didn't make AIM for linux for a long time. They finally have a beta (but it sucks, of course ). One nice thing about Linux is that people makes clones, lots of them. AIM clones include gaim, everybuddy (ICQ, AIM, and MSN all in 1), tik, toc, naim, caim, and much more. Some napster clones include nap, knapster,gnapster,bwap, and others. Oh ya, and most of these clones are better than the original (in my opinion).

well, i could go on for a lot longer, but i won't.

There, you have my opinion

Jim
    http://www.freejavahelp.com
    Making Java REALLY Easy
    Tutorials, Forums, and Articles

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by freejavahelp
    variety- Lots of companies don't make their programs for linux.
    Thats a bad thing...