SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a few of you know, I love to play with many different Operating Systems (I have RedHat Linux, Linux Mandrake, BeOS 5, and Win98 on my old comp). However, I do work only in Windows. Now I have a new computer, and I was just about to download BeOS5 today when I stopped and asked myself "Why".

All I have ever used Operating Systems other than Windows (and MacOS at work) is to play with and see how cool it is to have things differently. I know that Linux and Be have lots of potential...but I don't know what I'd use it for.

My question to you: What do you use alternative OSes for?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    W2K - Work

WinME - Games (If ever, and I don't even have it installed)
    Fiber
    fiber@liquid2k.com
    "Prepare yourself, it's da human beatbox"

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wanted to know what forum members used OSes other than Windows for...

********* Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Part of it is the sense of not wanting to be confined to the "standard" put in front of you, and because people simply love to have alternative options available.

That doesn't really answer your question, but I think it has something to do with "why" people switch. What they use them for is another question and I'm sure there are a wide range of reasons.

Idea Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To put it simply, i dont.
    Professional PHP programing / Hosting
    aim: downtoi3iz icq: 74637813

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for that very informative and very helpful post, necrominator.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use unix based os's mostly for coding and website stuff because that's just what i do because it's better for my purposes than windows or mac. On my own computer I use windows because that's what was on it when I got it. I might install FreeBSD on it someday if I feel motivated or particularly annoyed with windows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find that Macs are better for graphics - the OS is very well adapted to it (ie none of that grey background crap preventing you from using photoshop and something else at the same time). Also, the file format makes organizing less painful than with PCs. Macs are also used almost exclusively in desktop publishing. (Don't believe me? Open any NON-PC oriented magazine - almost all the screenshots are from Macs. Last week there were some ads on an IBM laptop that had a Mac desktop.)

Linux, etc is great for coding as LuZeR said. Very stable, you can run program very easily, and it is the platform that probably will host the code (Another reason to use linux.)

Windows really offers few benefits over any other OS - unless you need some obscure application. How often do you NEED to use a program other than a word processor (or office suite), web brower, text editor, graphics editor, or music player? (Excelent versions of all of the above exist for every major OS.) There are VERY few things that you can't do on a Mac and can do on a PC. (Except get a BSOD )

The biggest advantage of Windows is following the crowd and not having to deal w/ file incompatabilities (a nice conversion utility is built in to most new macs), confused coworkers/clients/friends and such.

In other words, "If it does what you need, then why not?"

Owen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some time, some day, I'd like to try Linux. As a previous poster said, it'd be like having a server on your desk-top,
    so you could run your own code. If you had a permanent connection to the net, maybe you could run a site temporarily for fun, or run QuakeWorld for your pals or something. Also, I understand it'll run on a comparitively under-specified machine - you could put it on your old PC to play around with.

And it's very cheap too I tried to buy a second-hand copy of Win98 in a shop recently - they wanted 70.00 (about $100, I think. Cheek!)

TigerTom
    http://www.tigertom.com/love.htm - personal ads page.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For whatever reason, I find that a lot of graphics designers tend to use MacOS...don't know why, just seems that most of them do.

As for Linux...I agree with what was said earlier: people don't like Windows and don't like being held to anything like it...

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the replies! I have downloaded BeOS 5 overnight, and I am going to boot into it later today.

Originally posted by TWTCommish
    For whatever reason, I find that a lot of graphics designers tend to use MacOS...don't know why, just seems that most of them do.
    G3s and G4s have great hardware, and Photoshop takes advantage of it.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok, OS gurus. Got a question for you. I am getting sick (!!!argggghh!!!) of Windows, but I need to be able use stuff like photoshop and icq (and other graphic programs). So what's my other option? (I am not swithing to Mac, too much money involved ) Also, I have to be able to install cyrillic fonts, so I can read programs that use cyrillic alphabet. And my comp is on a LAN (all NT) so how do I deal with network connectivity? (can you tell i dont know too much about this stuff? )

tia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, aside from MacOS, I'm pretty sure that a fair amount of programs will run on some flavor of Linux - virtually sure that ICQ does, but not sure about Photoshop.

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since I've Win2k, I don't really feel the need to learn Linux, but I still intend to learn it.

Funny thing of Win2k is that you've, just like with Linux, (Windows) programs that won't run on it. Call me insane, but that's something I enjoy somehow. I creates some kind of bond between me and an OS
    www.nyanko.ws - My web-, software- and game development company.
    www.mayaposch.com - My personal site and blog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. You are insane j/k.

Man, I REALLY need to get a linux box up and running, doesnt need to be anything special, as long as I can see the output of my PHP scripts it would be fine.

As long as were talking about OS's, can someone recommend a distro/flavour (or whatever) of Linux that can run on a low system (I'm talking a 486 with very low ram) or isn't that possible?
    russell.cz.cc - coming soon (I promise!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by RussellG
    Yes. You are insane j/k.

Man, I REALLY need to get a linux box up and running, doesnt need to be anything special, as long as I can see the output of my PHP scripts it would be fine.

As long as were talking about OS's, can someone recommend a distro/flavour (or whatever) of Linux that can run on a low system (I'm talking a 486 with very low ram) or isn't that possible?
    I'm running SuSe Linux 6.3 on a 486 and it runs perfectly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool I'll buy it tomorrow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it is coz we are looking for an alternative to the chugging, ram-hungry, over-complicated, poorly designed OS that is Windows!
    I trained on Mac's and then went to Win 3.1 because in my first job they were running PC's (incedently Mac users apparently nicknamed Win31 - Mac '88 coz it was a total rip-off!).
    At first I figured - hey there's not much difference, its just an OS?
    Since then though, it has changed into this abominable OS which I curse daily!!!
    So much so, that I have recently purchased an iMac to savour again the delights of the Mac OS - and I was not dissapointed!
    Infact the only thing I want Windows for now is Gaming.

I have tried BeOS as it was supposed to be good for Audio and GFX but despite being very impressed, it wouldn't run my sound card!?
    Apparently there is a lot of stuff being developed for BeOS though.

I have yet to try Linux but I have a friend who adores it and apparetnly the British Navy are moving from MS Office to Star Office (coz its free!), which I think speaks volumes!

Maybe we will see an end to the world-dominating-greed-machine yet???
    Linux seems to show promise!

temis - the only sensible option is MAC I reckon, it really is a gorgeous OS to use though! (no window opening 'lag'!)

Phew... back to work!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah theres something about a mac that I really like...

Oh thats right, the ability to change the default folder image to something else. Yes I know you could probaly do it with windows but thats one thing I like about the mac.

But theres something else...

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i like macs, but like i said, i can't dish out the cash right now

so the question stands: whats a good alternative? can someone describe for me the differences between, say, BeOS, FreeBSD, linux... and whatever else that runs on PC? Which is more convenient to use? easier to work with and install? which is faster? which one supports photoshop and icq?

>>confused<<

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For all the problems with Windows of any version, I still think it is your best option. I love the Mac. I bought one when they first came out. But their stock price just fell more than 50%! They've already been on the ropes once until Microsoft bailed them out.

The other operating systems might be fun for a while, but will they last? What happens if you install an alternative and then you have to have Windows because of a new program that comes out?

I don't know where this opinion comes from that Microsoft forces you to do anything. We still have computers with Windows 3.1 and Windows 95 running. We weren't forced to upgrade our other machines. We chose to. We aren't forced to use MS word processing, spreadsheets, browsers, email clients, etc. We chose to.
    Jim Lewis
    To BE or Not to BE, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Barium Enema
    FrappyDoo Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is nothing wrong with switching to another operating system, but do it for some reason other than emotional reasons. "I'm mad at Microsoft." is not a good reason to switch your OS. "I have an equal or better OS." is a much better reason to switch.
    Jim Lewis
    To BE or Not to BE, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Barium Enema
    FrappyDoo Forums

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jim, my point exactly. Thats why i would like to know the differences

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why do more people work at the marketing devision than at the engineering devision of Microsoft?

Simply: Microsoft knows how to sell anything to anybody.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup...but I don't think that changes the fact that it is a useful operating system.