Thread: Canonical Tag

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Canonical Tag

Hello,

Is canonical tag important for every seo friendly site ? I have 2-3 website and I already put canonical tag in one of them. Should i put in others two also ? Please share something for Canonical tag.

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have duplicate pages then you should have canonical tag attached to a page... It'll tell the search engine crawlers to consider multiple page that has duplicate contents as one.. It's more OR like same as 301 redirect but it won't really redirect the page.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SSJ View Post
    If you have duplicate pages then you should have canonical tag attached to a page... It'll tell the search engine crawlers to consider multiple page that has duplicate contents as one.. It's more OR like same as 301 redirect but it won't really redirect the page.
    Thanks for quick reply. I don't have duplicate content but I saw somewhere that if you have more content than 500 or 800 words so we must add canonical tag. Is that true ?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SSJ View Post
    I completely agree with you. If any website have multiple web pages on a same domain that mean this website have canonical issues then you can resolve this problems through 301 redirection on .htaccess file.

Mouse catcher silver trophy Stevie D's Avatar
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nikhilman View Post
    Thanks for quick reply. I don't have duplicate content but I saw somewhere that if you have more content than 500 or 800 words so we must add canonical tag. Is that true ?
    It doesn't have to be deliberate duplicate content – it could be that your server is set up to accept multiple routes to the same page (which most of them are). For example, if asking for
    - example.com/page
    - example.com/page/index.htm
    - www.example.com/page
    - www.example.com/page/index.htm

all give you the same page, you should consider using a canonical tag to indicate to search engines that these are all the same page, and to tell them which URL you would prefer them to use.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nikhilman View Post
    No mate, this is really not necessary to split the page if you've more content.