User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Thinking of learning PHP...

Well, first of all I'm 14

I have started making a site in ASP I can use ASP "quite" well, but I'm nothing special, so much to learn.

The hosting plans I have looked at (the cheap ones ) only have php installed. And one has chilisoft but that has restrictions. Also, I have noticed that there is more complex web sites written in PHP therefore I assume PHP is more flexible, and there is much more posts in the PHP forums here than in the ASP forums so more people probably use it. That or PHP has more questions to be asked because ASP is easy

When I started learning ASP I found it quite easy, but this may depend on the tutorial I used.

I have started looking at PHP looks alot more complicated nevertheless I still want to learn it. I used the php.net tutorial but it was a bit complicated for me, isn't there a simpler tutorial for me

Thanks,
    Danny

Damn! Why doesn't my work in school ever sound that good?!

Conclusion: F**k workbooks and take laptops in

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heh - IMO, I think ASP is easier to use, and a better language

But yes, PHP hosting is much cheaper and more widely used, so it is a good language to know! I didn't find PHP too hard to learn, it's not as bad as it first seems

Good on you starting out early too!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    inverts then grows into

Ok, where did you learn php? php.net?

At php.net I go onto some part talking about hexideximal octal or whatever they were.
    I don't have a clue what all thats on about but nevermind I'll just ignore it.

So, where did you learn?

Thanks,
    Danny

Wishful Thinking webmasternovis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are loads of different places to learn.

I am 13 and not bad at PHP, but if you look further down the forum - I do ask a lot of questions on it.

I seem to learn things better from books, don't know why but on websites I just seem to give up. First I read Kevin Yanks 'Build a database driven website using PHP and MySQL', which really helped. You can download the first four chapter of that free from Sitepoint, so I would reccomend that.

But most recently I bought 'Beginning PHP' written by WROX. That does explain things in a lot more detail, and has really helped me learn a lot of PHP off by heart.

If you would prefer a website for whatever reason I wouldn't reccomend php.net. Some people will like it, but I hate it as some aspects are so hard to understand off there.

If you don't want the books, I would just search on Google for PHP Tutorials. I have just had a quick look and there are loads of sites which may come in handy.

Hope this helps,
    Mike

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah. helped alot
    Thanks

I'll probably buy them two books you mentioned.

Danny

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think both PHP and ASP are easy to learn etc, but also it's very easy to write bad code, mix html and script, the languages are not strongly typed* etc
    Comparing PHP and ASP.old; then PHP is better, and also, as someone said, cheaper
    If you want to try something better, try ASP.NET, where you can separate html and code behind in a better way, and use a real programming language (not script)
    And finally, being 14 shouldn't be a problem, I have a nephew that's 13, and he's doing some .NET coding

* http://whatis.techtarget.com/definit...213058,00.html

Funny facts; when you're 20, then ASP.NET will be the "old" thing...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheap ASP.NET hosting:
    http://www.dotnetplayground.com/

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, but I think I'll stick with PHP and ASP.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.devshed.com/Server_Side/PHP/PHP101

5 very basic tutorials to get anyone used to PHPs syntax.

Note: most tuts are a tad dated when it comes to PHP as variables nowadays are accessed differently for greater security.
    teckis - that's news to me.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am actually disappointed that absolutely no one has recommended www.sitepoint.com and these forums.

I'd go for PHP as it is in demand, it is easy to learn, and it is easy to develop once you've learnt the basics - i.e. mixing PHP and (x)HTML.

Plus it's open source - something that ASP can never be.

The Restaurant at The End of The Universe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have always had a problem learning from books. I'm a tinkerer and I need to fiddle with it to learn. php.net is difficlt to use but you get used to it and as you start to learn the language, (both in code and community) it will begin to make more sence. There are great tutorials and articles at Zend. I find that coming here is the best thing. I try to do it myself and ask questions as needed after research fails. Before long you'll find yourself answering questions for others. Good luck to you now dive in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "If you want to try something better, try ASP.NET, where you can separate html and code behind in a better way, and use a real programming language (not script)"

or stick to the flexible path which allows you to code as you see fit / to fit your luring curve ,that will run on 99% of all the platforms you are ever likely to meet in the near future and is one of the most popular scripting languages on the net, on sites from cousin joes homepage to some of tha largest sites on the net + has a proven warts and all (few warts , lots of all ) track record to look at.

I do beleive that .NET has a paperclip knocking around somewhere though, sorry we cant compete there

good luck dannyscorner , devshed toots are pretty good and assuming they have updated them
    http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/programming/php/ has a couple of good starters, but download the PHP manual , its your friend and has pretty much all the answers you need.

Dr Livingston .. I think he already knows about the forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would recommend downloading the documentation from php.net. Once youve learnt the basics of PHP the documentation will become youre best friend. PHP has so many functions for manipulate strings and arrays I always find myself referring to the windows help format version of the manual.

SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another good place to look is OReilly's PHP DevCenter.

The winning book though is Kevins http://sitepoint.com/books/?bookid=PHPMYSQL02 - believe he's about to release a new edition - you might want to ask them first.

Also if you're using Windows, you might want to check out: http://www.firepages.com.au/ (yep him a couple of posts up there) - it's got PHP, MySQL, Apache and other nice goodies all ready to install.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    firepages - lol - I was meaning that using the forums here at sitepoint as a learning tool.

Just about all problems, basic to advanced have been covered here, and in most cases, there has been posted a solution, or the direction to a solution.

It doesn't hurt to spend 10 minutes searching the forums to see if a post already exists with the same problem that you're having, is there ?

I agree about oreilly though - it's a great site to learn from, as is it's sister site, www.onlamp.com.

Have a look over at www.articlecentral.com for a tonne of links to various PHP tutorials/articles covering just about everything to do with PHP/XML/XSLT/Java and Databases - not just mySQL, but MSSQL, Oracle, etc etc.

Another source is www.wdvl.com for PHP and XML/XSLT et al. Have fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by petersj
    I would recommend downloading the documentation from php.net. ...
    To be more specific; http://www.php.net/download-docs.php
    Always nice to have the .chm file near you

Dr Livingston; about referring to sitepoint.com, isn't that redundant? I mean, if you are here in this forum, then you don't need much help to find SP
    But it's absolutely true, you can find a lot here

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, 'nough said.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by firepages
    ... (php) is one of the most popular scripting languages ...
    Exactly; scripting language, loosely typed
    And sometimes it's the best choice, very easy to code cousin joes homepage or whatever you want to do
    Please correct me, and say that you can compile PHP
    And there is a reason most programming courses uses Pascal or Java; they are strongly typed and therefore are good teaching languages

SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please correct me, and say that you can compile PHP
    If you're talking "compile" in the way .NET means compiled, then yes you can compile PHP - that's what the Zend Accelerator does. I've been through this before but the acid test for how "compiled" a .NET app is, is can you run it without the .NET framework installed? If no: it's just as compiled as what you get from Zend's Accelerator.

As to loosely typed... I disagree the it means bad code. Given an experienced developer, they can write good code in C#, Java, Perl or PHP (taking Perl as an example, there are some extremely skilled developers using it...). But for new developers it means in PHP you can do something while in others you can just do nothing.

When you're learning to code, you will write bad code. If guru developers could be manufactured overnight, the world would be a very different place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by HarryF
    As to loosely typed... I disagree the it means bad code. Given an experienced developer, they can write good code in C#, Java, Perl or PHP (taking Perl as an example, there are some extremely skilled developers using it...). But for new developers it means in PHP you can do something while in others you can just do nothing.
    ...or, you could say; with a strongly typed language, you have to learn why you can't "do nothing"
    And isn't this what we are talking about, learning programming?
    And after some time you realize that the important thing isn't what language you use, or how familiar you are with it's syntax, it's more useful knowledge to understand how to analyze a problem, do the modelling etc
    Me too disagree that loosely typed means bad code automatically, it all depends on the developer's skills

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy redemption's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On an irreverent (and off-topic) note, you'd never appreciate your programming language until you've coded in assembly language.

Jofa: I always thought .NET sources were compiled only into some form of bytecode (IDL is it?).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by redemption
    On an irreverent (and off-topic) note, you'd never appreciate your programming language until you've coded in assembly language.
    Indeed
    Seriously; a very good way to understand programming
    And then you can have really interesting discussions with real geeks: "If you write your java code this way, it will result in 8 instructions, otherwise 10, whoa! 20% better performance!"

Originally posted by redemption
    Jofa: I always thought .NET sources were compiled only into some form of bytecode (IDL is it?).
    MSIL

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! It's turned into a full blown discussion.

Thanks for all the links, I have too much homework to look now ( ) so I've bookmarked this page and I'll look later.

Thanks,
    Danny