SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Gre aus'm Pott gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)

What should I enter into "URL to like" when generating code for FB Like button?

Evening all,

I have a client who recently set up a Facebook profile for his business. He also has a separate static website for the same business.
    Now that his FB profile has taken off somewhat and has some content, I suggested that he place a Like button on his website.
    He agreed and now I have to sort this out.

So, I have three questions:

When I go get the code for the Like button, FB wants to know which "URL to like".
    What should I enter here?
    Should I enter my clients FB profile page, or should people be liking his website in general (e.g. www.site.de) or should they be liking the current page the are on?

Should I put the Like button on every page of his site, or just on the first page, or something else?

Is there anything else I should take into account?

I would be very grateful for any pointers.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pullo View Post
    So, I have three questions:

When I go get the code for the Like button, FB wants to know which "URL to like".
    What should I enter here?
    Should I enter my clients FB profile page, or should people be liking his website in general (e.g. www.site.de) or should they be liking the current page the are on?

Should I put the Like button on every page of his site, or just on the first page, or something else?
    There's actually two types of Facebook Like mechanisms depending on your goals.

Facebook Like Button (https://developers.facebook.com/docs...lugins/like/): When a site visitor clicks on this, they will like your page content or your website and this will be published to the visitor's news feed but this does not make them a fan of your client's Facebook Page. To answer your question on what URL to enter as "URL to Like", it should be your client's website URL.

Facebook Like Box (https://developers.facebook.com/docs...ns/like-box/): If want site visitors to be able to like your client's Facebook Page from the website, this is what you should be implementing.

If your client is planning to build a community around his business on Facebook, then the Like Box or Like Button should be on every page of his/her website.

Gre aus'm Pott gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Hi Wayne,

Thank you very much for your informative reply.
    That helped me a lot.

I went with the FB Like Box, as this best fulfils the client's goals, and as you suggested, I put it on every page.

Thanks again.