SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an essay due Wednesday for history.

Since it is kind of an opinionated question, I was wondering what comments you all had to say.

The question is:

Does the rise of a civilization increase the amounts of responsibility people have towards each other?

The way I see it, yes, the rise of civilizations does increase how much the citizens depend on each other.

I'm having trouble finding some content and statistics to include in this, so maybe some of your thoughts could give me some ideas.

Thanks.

Idea Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, you can get some help at my essay paper site, dont mean for this to sound like advertising, but you wanted help, and its their
    Professional PHP programing / Hosting
    aim: downtoi3iz icq: 74637813

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the rise in civilization people are forced to live closer together so they must try harder to be civil to each other while they are in competition for space and scarce resources. Look at any population density map for statistics and perhaps crime rates in areas with greater population density. Also look for conflicts/wars etc that are because of groups fighting for resources to support their ever expanding population base.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Martin, but I think part of what you suggested I research is swaying away from the key part: people's dependency on each other based on the rise of civiliations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The historical trend toward division of labor has made people more specialized in one area and therefore more reliant on others to provide things for them that are outside their specialty or area of interest. For example, computer programmers depend on farmers for food while farmers depend on computer programmers to write software to help them farm more efficiently. Before the division of labor and the rise of civilization, all people pretty much knew all they needed to know to survive and didn't have to depend on others for food, shelter or anything else.

Idea Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    people wine because they cant get dsl/cable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rise in civilization requires people to become more specialized, and therefore, the have to work together. When someone is living in a cave, or hollowed out tree, and eat what they can kill, they don't depend on others as much.

But today, one person can't be expected to be able to do everything. We must rely on each other. Even down to an inner-office environment. The receptionist takes care of appointments. The tech support guy takes care of (big surprise) tech support. The accountants pay the bills. The drones carry on their drone duties, and the boss keeps everyone in line doing what they're supposed to do and making sure it all works together. Well, that and playing a game of golf in the afternoon.

No one person can do all of that. With advancements in society, and technology, we must work together. And working together requires us to be resposible towards and for each other.

[Edited by Lorina on 10-01-2000 at 06:12 PM]
    Cheese-N-Rice - A daily comic strip.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Martin and Lorena.

My essay is a page long so far. I plan to make it about three total - there is no set length.

Anyone care to comment?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try this angle...

If a single individual today, in modern civilization, was to isolate himself from others he would be at a great relative disadvantage. His standard of living would plumet ...(a bunch of filler about what he would be missing)......

However, in the caveman era ... (explain how a caveman could live on his own and have a much higher relative standard of living blah blah)

The same is true on a much larger scale. (explain how an isolated country today would be doomed. however, in the past many countries were completely isolated ...)

Also, note that as each individual in a society becomes more specialized in a given feild he will rely more heavily on other for his basic needs. For example a computer program relies on the wonderful individuals at coca-cola co to provide his/her daily supply of caffine.. (or the obvisious example of everyone relying on 2% of the population (the farmers) for their food)

ok enough rambling...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    whoops... didn't read any other posts b4 posting mine... guess you already covered all that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still looking for more replies...

Idea Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, as services increased, the amount of stuff poeple could do by themselves decreased