SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: its on the cd?

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i was just reading something about asp and it said that it came on your windows cd, would this be windows nt or what? does it come on the win98 cd?
    Back Again

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well Personal Web Server comes on your win98 CD and you should be able to run ASP if you have that installed.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Search for a PWS folder...it should be under a folder in the root of your cd drive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea PWS is on the cd...but that sucks. And thats besides the point I think. Cause dont you have to buy ASP to use it?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope...you can run ASP scripts using PWS. PWS isn't so bad...its really easy to set up compared to other servers like Apache but it isn't nearly as powerful as Apache and the others.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't have Windows 98 or your hardware vendor was kind enough to give you a "Recovery CD" instead of full installation products. Go to the Microsoft Site and search for "Windows NT Option Pack" in the downloads. If your using Windows 98 or less than use the Windows 95 version of this product. If your using Windows NT 4.0 then download the NT version.

I don't think the option pack has been updated to handle Windows ME or Windows 2000, so you'll have to rely on the CD's for those products.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Idea Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    asp is bad, use php.
    Professional PHP programing / Hosting
    aim: downtoi3iz icq: 74637813

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack! Fluffykins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PWS is good for testing pages, but obviously not for serving them to the world. That's what I use it for anyway. Apparently setting up a server like Apache on a host machine has loads of security implications.

ASP, it's not so bad. I find it really easy to use cos I was born and bred on VB. It's free on an IIS server cos you can install MS's ASP component, to install it on a Unix server you need Chille ASP by Chillesoft, which isn't cheap. I think Apache type people are building in an ASP module for that, but it supports PerlScript and not VB or JScript.

We've built some pretty clever stuff in ASP before, pity it's not more platform independant or it'd be excellent.

Ady
    v-technologies - Freelance Goodness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With PWS you can do at least 75% of what you can do with IIS on NT. Don't be persuaded by those people that would have you change to php "just" because they think asp is bad (see above).

You can find PWS in x:\addons\pws on yor W98 CD. or you can download it from Microsoft - http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/nt...4OptPk/default

If you're learning asp, as I think you are, PWS is the ideal way to learn asp, check out http://www.aspin.com and http://www.4guysfromrolla.com for some good resouces.

Asp has become a bit more platform indepent since the advent of iAsp from http://www.halcyonsoft.com

In fact a lot more platform independant.

Hope this helps,
    Padraic Lavin

Advertising Free Message Boards $5/mo
    Instant Setup. ForumCo.com