SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Confirmed Halfwit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi everyone,

I am currently running Windows NT 4.0 (Workstation) on my home computer.. and I'm thinking about 'upgrading' to Windows 2000.

My system is a AMD K6II 450Mhz with 128MB RAM. Lots of harddrive space. Motherboard is an ASUS P5-99VM.

Any thoughts on whether it would be worth it to switch over? I generally only use the machine for web authoring, a bit of graphic design, word processing, surfing, etc..

Does Windows 2000 support Advanced Power Management? (ie: able to automatically shut off my monitor when not in use?)

Thanks.
    - A simple online WYSIWYG editor for HTML code snippets.
    - Managed Web Hosting - $3.95/month (resellers welcome)
    - Why pay more? $8.95 domains & $9.95 SSL certificates!

Idea Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think its worth it to upgrade
    Professional PHP programing / Hosting
    aim: downtoi3iz icq: 74637813

Confirmed Halfwit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would I see and (noticable) performance increase? Or are there features such as APM that I could use? (Since NT 4.0 doesn't support APM..)

Thanks.
    - A simple online WYSIWYG editor for HTML code snippets.
    - Managed Web Hosting - $3.95/month (resellers welcome)
    - Why pay more? $8.95 domains & $9.95 SSL certificates!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an almost identical system. For me, Windows 2000 works great (nice and fast) except for APM support. The problem is that it freezes the computer when ever it activates. I have disabled it and everything works fine. Obviously this is not normal behavior for Windows 2000 - chances are it will work fine for you.

Owen

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There should be (according to MS) a 20% performace increase when moving from NT4 to 2k, I dont know how accurate this is as I've never had NT 4 on my machine.
    Your machine should be fine with win2k, i'm running it on a PC with half that CPU power and RAM, and its still loads faster than 98.
    APM/ACPI are supported, but certain motherboards cause problems. If yours doesn't work, you could try Flash upgrading your BIOS to the latest version, also check the motherboard manufacturer's site for info about Win2k compatibility.

Hope that helps!

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't play many games, you won't regret upgrading to Windows 2000. I did it too, and I'll never return to Windows 98 (I hope).

I recommend that you download the Windows 2000 Readiness Analyzer from Microsoft.com. It will detect any incompatible hardware/software.

Good luck!
    www.nyanko.ws - My web-, software- and game development company.
    www.mayaposch.com - My personal site and blog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have Windows 2000 pro running on my computer without any problems what so ever.

APM Works fine to, the only thing is I'm not to sure there are many if any patches out there for hardware that causes problems with APM.

Before upgrading I would recommend you check out the Hardware Compatabilty List on microsoft's site (just in case)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It should have better power management, especially for laptops. I read that somewhere at least. I myself am upgrading from Windows 98 to 2000.