SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

View Poll Results: What should I do??

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Since you don't have any MSSQL experence. Don't waste your money. Try MySQL instead.

11 73.33%
  • MSSQL is pretty stright forward, I recommend you still buy it, even if you have no experence with it.

0 0%
  • WHAT??? MSSQL on your personal computer?? Were you droped as a child? MSSQL is only for large companies.

4 26.67%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. But that is unlikely not going to happen. I still need to learn the .Net and it will be al least a year or so before I can develop anything. Large companies I'm sure can have it done in a month or two.

Besides I can't even locate a backend for my script. That's what's holding me back. I could start it today, and at least release a beta soon, but I can't even do that because I have no backend. I can't use Access, MSSQL is out of my price range. I would really like to use MySQL, but I can't get it to work on my computer. I can't even reconize PHP files. Unless there is another way to create the databases without using phpadmin, I'm at a loss. Dead in the water.

O! one other thing. If I'm really am the first (or one of the first) to build a forum script with asp.net that means I should get to pick a really cool name for the board. Because no one else already has it. Well... I have a really cool name that I don't want to say on the forum, but how do I make it legal. Like.. is there a website I can go to where I can register my name so that other companies can't use it?? I would like to register the name as soon as possible and then release news about the board etc.. if it takes a while to build, I'll still have an advantage because of the cool name. I got there first.

I've never registered anything before I thought there was a way you could do it for free. I'm not sure how it works.
    Last edited by XX7509; Feb 24, 2003 at 10:22.

SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    MSSQL is out of my price range
    did you look at MSDE?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looked at MSDE and installed it, but I was told I can't use it for commercial products. I think I really want to use MySQL if I can figure it out. I really like this board, and it runs on MySQL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i do not think that making your database structure in it and then making a "dump" of the structure is illegal. I think they are talking about if you redistribute it with your application.
    Web Finesse Studios
    Professional, business oriented web hosting and development.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by XX7509
    ...If I'm really am the first (or one of the first) to build a forum script with asp.net ...
    I'm sure you are not the first
    Maybe the first to build a script in ASP.NET...
    Anyway, you say you're not new to programming, but relatively new to web development? Then maybe this little "game" would interest you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by HarryF
    PS - if you're looking for a bundle of PHP, MySQL and Apache (+ phpMyAdmin for administration) head straight to http://www.firepages.com.au/ - it's real easy.
    Sweet thanks for the link! Has anyone done their install on an Win XP Pro?

Jamie

SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used phpdev5 beta ( http://www.firepages.com.au/phpdev5.htm ) on Windows XP Home - used it to make the eZ publish article easy to explain.