SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which database engine do you like better?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like MSSQL better!

6 46.15%
  • I like MySQL better!

7 53.85%

Thread: MySQL Questions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question MySQL Questions

Ok. I've been doing a lot of research and asking a lot of questions about MSSQL. I would like to test out the MySQL engine before I spend a lifes savings on the MSSQL engine. Taking MySQL vs. MSSQL what are the differences, will they both be just as powerfull and just as fast? Does MySQL have an interface for designing the database like MSSQL does?

SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    i like mysql/mssql better than what? each other?

that's like comparing a pop gun to a sherman tank

sure, a pop gun is fine, if you're 4 years old and want to play around

you want serious firepower? the tank, every time, hands down, no contest

of course the tank costs more

but that wasn't the poll question

rudy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with r937 over there.

MySQL has been proven to be extremely fast (numerous times faster than even MSSQL) as simple select queries. however, MSSQL is slower at these simple amd non-complex queries, but lightening fast at the advanced stuff

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mysql us light and fast. SQL Server has Subselects and Stored Procedures.
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I was compairing MSSQL to MySQL. I was compairing MSSQL to Access, but that turned out to be a waste of time. I don't own either SQL engine, and I am trying to decide which one I should get. I really don't have the $500.00 right this second and I need somthing rather fast. So I was just wondering the differences between the free version and the $500.00 version from MS.

SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    the differences between the free version and the $500 version are irrelevant in your case, i think

if you're looking to learn databases, MySQL is the place to start, because it's free, and because it's easy to set up, or so they say -- i've never done it, but i know people who have, and i can certainly believe it's easier to set up than MSDE

by the way, for personal use, you'd want to look at MSDE instead of Microsoft SQL Server

MSDE is, i believe, also free for non-commercial use

MSDE is apparently just SQL Server slightly crippled (in areas an individual would never neeed anyway)

but go with MySQL, if you're just learning, you won't get to a point where the differences matter for a long time

rudy

Making a better wheel silver trophy DR_LaRRY_PEpPeR's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MSSQL doesn't run on *nix. 'nuff said. use Sybase for an enterprise DB. it has the cross-platform compatibilty of MySQL.

i think a lot of the "problems" with these forum systems and MySQL isn't all MySQL's fault, but the sub-par database design with the applications. i have no doubt that my forum system will get much better use from MySQL than any forum system that's used it. my tables are setup better than anything i've seen (in forums anyway...) and i'm doing things in the code to cut down on the table-locking UPDATEs (which are really the worst of any MySQL performance "problems").

things are getting better with 4.0, 4.1, and 5.0. i do wish there was referential integrity with MyISAM tables, but it's not that big of a deal. and i really want the FULLTEXT searching to be improved and made faster.

BTW, Yahoo! uses MySQL on pretty busy servers -- up to 2200+ queries/sec (albeit mostly read-only) on just dual 866MHz PIIIs.
    Last edited by DR_LaRRY_PEpPeR; Feb 20, 2003 at 17:20.
    - Matt ** Ignore old signature for now... **
    Dr.BB - Highly optimized to be 2-3x faster than the "Big 3."
    "Do not enclose numeric values in quotes -- that is very non-standard and will only work on MySQL." - MattR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greate! I figured I would take your advice and at least start with MySQL. This will allow me to develop some pretty good scripts, once I make some money off of them I'm sure I can purchase MSSQL and modifiy them to use MSSQL instead, (if I want to, I may decide I like MySQL).

I am having one problem though! I downloaded the following files from the www.mysql.com website.

1. mysql-3.23.55-win.zip
    2. mysqlgui-win32-static-1.7.5-2.zip
    3. mysqlcc-0.8.10-win32.zip

I think I downloaded the right files? I extracted all of them and ran the install programs.... but I don't know where to go from there. Isn't there a user interface I can use to write the database? Access has a nice interface which allows me to create tables, give them names, then create the fields and set all the field properites. So.... How can I do this with MySQL? Is there an example showing how to use the files I downloaded and build a quick sample database with them? All I have is about a hundred different files, but I can't find a interface/application to start.

I think I am also going to look into the MSDE?? I've seen it before. I guess it's just a powerfull (for the basic stuff) and just as fast as MSSQL. It just has a 2GB limit? Which I'm sure I wont reach anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oops, I'm assuming if using mysql, PHP available, for the phpmyadmin part...

you'll need two tools, one is the mySQL win admin tool.

This allows you start/stop the mysql server, and create users and dbs. But to do this, you need to manually run the first time. go to where you installed mysql, there should be a 'bin', subdir, double-click, run, open...

winmysqladmin.exe

I forget exactly what happens first time, but choose to create the admin service, and run at startup, unless you want to do manually.

next you want DB admin tool. I use:

http://www.phpmyadmin.net/

download and unzip in dir that can run PHP, and open ip/dir/index.php and your off and running. This tool will allow you to create/modify DBs, tables, indexes, blah, blah, blah...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am trying that now.

I also did some research on the MSDE. I created a sample database using it in MSAccess 2002. The problem I have is that is saves the database as an access project *.adp ... I'm not really sure how to access this file through code from within vb.net. I found a few code examples but they all said "Unreconized Database Type" when I tried to connect. hm.... I'll check MS site again, but in the mean time. Is there special code to access this type of database? I'm assuming it would use SQL?? Any examples?

Argh. I hope I get this stuff soon. When your first starting out, this stuff gets rather confusing. But I'm starting to get the hang of it, with everyones help. Everyone has to start somewhere.

THANKS!
    Last edited by XX7509; Feb 20, 2003 at 19:53.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! I finialy got MySQL up and running. Now all I need is a Data Provider. I can't locate one that will work with ASP.NET, and that is also free.

As I stated eariler I was having problems understanding the licensing for MySQL that's why I didn't want to go with it as a backend. I read the license again and if I understand it correctly, they are allowing me to use MySQL as a database backend for my software, for free (I will be charging for my software) as long as I don't include the actual MySQL software. I can include the database, just not the MySQL AB software programs. This forum we are using is a MySQL database forum, and the company that makes it charges a lot of money for the script files, I'm just wondering if they paid for a MySQL license, or if it was free, since they are not including any MySQL software (at least I don't think they are)