SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

validation problems

The w3.org html validator has no trouble with my pages as long as I stick to transitional instead of strict code. I want to be more strict though. Many of my pages belong to "WebRings" that have javascript code for the navigation bars. One of the validator errors says that "language" is not a valid attribute. How do I get around this?

My site is at http://www.TheBicyclingGuitarist.net/ with different webrings on about 60 of my 150 pages. Yes, I know there are other issues on the homepage before it would validate as strict, but I am asking here just about the way to make the javascript validate in an html 4.01 strict document.

Thanks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You can do <script type="text/javascript"> instead. May fail in older browsers though, be warned.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The code already has <script type="text/javascript" as the first part, with language="javascript" as the next line. So I should delete the language= part? The code comes from the WebRing folks. Will it still work if I delete the language attribute or will there be still more problems with strict validation after that?

I got rid of Link Exchange banners because of poor traffic, spy cookies, and bad code that wouldn't validate. I got rid of BraveNet Guestbooks and Hit counters because of bad code and cheesy newbie appearance. I do like the concept of WebRings, but their code is holding me back. Thanks for the tip. I will do more research and try it on a test page, then see if the code still passes the WebRing automated checker.