User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CSS Drop Down, Responsiveness and self-contained

Hi there,

Hopefully this isn't too much of a tall order since I have seen it done before.
    I'm looking for a solution to a drop-down issue which involves the drop-down menu itself overhanging on the page, creating a horizontal scrollbar and a few frustrations from users. I have come across a few neat drop-down menus (including entries for a Sitepoint competition from a few weeks back!) which are both responsive and css-only (ie. no javascript) but so far none which solve the problem of the drop-downs overhanging the page.

Ideally I would like a solution which means that if the drop-down is too big to fit in the remaining viewing area, it will wrap around and "stick" to the right-hand side of the window and be pushed to the left. I guess one simple solution is to not have such a wide drop-down area....

What are your thoughts on the best solutions for drop-downs?

Cheers,

Andrew

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    It's easy enough to set the right-most drop menu to align right so that it doesn't hang out to the right. Sounds like that's the way to go here.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy PicnicTutorials's Avatar
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any over hanging the window will create scrollbars. Anything except position fixed.

Community Advisor silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    for most modern browsers you can use the ~ ( general sibling selector) to set a point (via classes or adjacent selectors and switch the positioning of your drop down. so something like

li ul { width:15em; position:absolute; left:100%;}
    li.midpoint ~li ul {left:auto; right:100%;}

you then assign the .midpoint class to the LAST drop down that you want facing outwards.

hope that helps