SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

View Poll Results: What do you think of ASP and VBScript?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's awesome!

2 33.33%
  • It's Ok.

1 16.67%
  • I hate it!

3 50.00%

Thread: Loving it!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Loving it!

I just wanted to say that I began learning Classic ASP over the last two weeks, and I love it! At first I was mindboggled by how verbose VBScript was and I was even tempted to code everything in JScript (mostly because I've already done so much Javascript coding), but I put my trust into the 13 year old 700 page book I was reading and kept at it. Now, I have a newfound love for wordy programming languages! I'm very tempted to learn CoffeeScript

PS: I can't wait to be able to start coding my websites in LOLCODE

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great to hear someone is just learning it now.. Personally I think its great, but I feel a little ridiculous since I understand .net is supposed to have replaced it. I can do things so quickly in ASP and modify things that get broken quickly too. In ASP.net I'm playing around with compiling and and editing multiple files to make a simple change. And in my experience ASP.net pages seem to load a lot slower too. Maybe there is too much overhead. With classic ASP I can just log into my site with FTP and make a quick edit to a page and thats that.

If I switched to any other language it would probably be PHP.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutoisaplanet View Post
    I just wanted to say that I began learning Classic ASP over the last two weeks, and I love it! At first I was mindboggled by how verbose VBScript was and I was even tempted to code everything in JScript (mostly because I've already done so much Javascript coding), but I put my trust into the 13 year old 700 page book I was reading and kept at it. Now, I have a newfound love for wordy programming languages! I'm very tempted to learn CoffeeScript

PS: I can't wait to be able to start coding my websites in LOLCODE
    Chuck
    --------------------------
    Add Poker Tables to your Website
    http://www.PlugInPoker.com

Barefoot on the Moon! silver trophy
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Classic ASP isn't really a language you should be building new sites with. It's been superseded by the .NET languages. The last version of ASP was released around February 2000 and hasn't been updated since--which makes it 13 years old!

I would highly recommend moving to ASP.NET if you want to stick with the ASP syntax. PHP is also a good choice.
    Visit The Blog | Follow On Twitter
    301tool 1.1.5 - URL redirector & shortener (PHP/MySQL)
    Can be hosted on and utilize your own domain