SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IQ Catch Website Review

Hi All, Can you please review my website IQ Catch

www.iqcatch.com

And let me know what you think of the design and if any work is needed.

Would much appreciate it.

Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks great overall. It's hard to find anything I would change. Two thoughts:

1. For branding purposes, I wonder if a better logo would be good or using the lasso logo up top or get rid of it.
    2. The profile pictures on the home page are great but I wonder if it would be good to find a way to move up the getting started steps by deleting one row of pictures.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feedback WebEminence, appreciate it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Info: W3c Online Validation

Result: 67 errors / 3 warnings

http://www.w3schools.com/web/web_validate.asp

Validating a website is the process of ensuring that the pages on the website conform to the
    norms or standards defined by various organizations. Validation is important, and will ensure
    that your web pages are interpreted in the same way (the way you want it) by various machines,
    such as search engines, as well as users and visitors to your webpage.
    Not all validators check for the same things. Some only check CSS, others XHTML, and others
    for accessibility. If you are sincere in presenting standardized pages to the public, test
    them with several validators. The World Wide Web Consortium sets the standards and also hosts
    a variety of web page validators.

HTML Tidy online
    http://infohound.net/tidy/

CSS Tidy online
    http://csstidyonline.com/

-
    You may want to check and correct the page. Some web page validators are listed.
    falcon
    Many good Free Tutorials at:
    http://freetutorials.name

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi! The site looks quite professional. However, for me it was not clear if the site is free or if it is a paid service. Therefore, if it is free of charge, I would place this info somewhere at the front page.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy PicnicTutorials's Avatar
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks near perfect. Off the bat I can't see anything to suggest. The design is clean. Colors are nice. It's a unique idea for dating off IQs. I have to tool around on it a bit... Ok the members online at the top. I don't know what the 2, 0, 1 checkboxes mean. That means most don't either. Maybe add some eye candy JS validation to the forms so most don't have to see the bland php. That's about all I see. Good job!

SitePoint Member James_Thompson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only thing I have to add is that maybe it would be better to place sections "Online dating" and "What is an IQ?" on the top of the page?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by navyfalcon View Post
    Info: W3c Online Validation

Result: 67 errors / 3 warnings

http://www.w3schools.com/web/web_validate.asp

Validating a website is the process of ensuring that the pages on the website conform to the
    norms or standards defined by various organizations. Validation is important, and will ensure
    that your web pages are interpreted in the same way (the way you want it) by various machines,
    such as search engines, as well as users and visitors to your webpage.
    Not all validators check for the same things. Some only check CSS, others XHTML, and others
    for accessibility. If you are sincere in presenting standardized pages to the public, test
    them with several validators. The World Wide Web Consortium sets the standards and also hosts
    a variety of web page validators.

HTML Tidy online
    http://infohound.net/tidy/

CSS Tidy online
    http://csstidyonline.com/

-
    You may want to check and correct the page. Some web page validators are listed.
    falcon
    Thanks for the provided links, going through the site and fixing up the errors.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukas83 View Post
    Hi! The site looks quite professional. However, for me it was not clear if the site is free or if it is a paid service. Therefore, if it is free of charge, I would place this info somewhere at the front page.
    Its a free site to join, so added a bit more information on the front. The site lets users kiss people for free to see if they are interested before spending any money, it does not charge any monthly fees. However, if you wish to contact someone by personal message or chat then you need to purchase some stamps to be able to contact that person. This is needed to help with server costs, advertising, my time etc.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EricWatson View Post
    Looks near perfect. Off the bat I can't see anything to suggest. The design is clean. Colors are nice. It's a unique idea for dating off IQs. I have to tool around on it a bit... Ok the members online at the top. I don't know what the 2, 0, 1 checkboxes mean. That means most don't either. Maybe add some eye candy JS validation to the forms so most don't have to see the bland php. That's about all I see. Good job!
    Thanks Eric, you may be right, I might need to try and clarify what the color symbols represent (Gold IQ, Solver IQ Bronze IQ Members currently online) I have a popup box when mouse is moved over them, explaining them, but this may not be enough, may need to try and get the words in there somewhere. Just out of curiosity, which forms need the eye candy and what JS validation would you recommend?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James_Thompson View Post
    The only thing I have to add is that maybe it would be better to place sections "Online dating" and "What is an IQ?" on the top of the page?
    Played around this idea a little in the past, just from experience many people like to have profile images to click on the first thing they see on a dating site.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice layout. The site does not look spammy comared to the other dating sites that I have seen

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boneyp View Post
    Nice layout. The site does not look spammy comared to the other dating sites that I have seen
    Thanks for the kind words, trying to keep it clean as possible, people can see profiles without the annoying joining email screen before you see them, have also deleted a lot of the spammers that join the site with the fake profiles, not seeing much of them anymore, I think that they have given up.