SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Making a better wheel silver trophy DR_LaRRY_PEpPeR's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

raising MySQL priority on system with Web server?

i've been wondering about this for a while. this is in the Linux Notes section of the MySQL manual:

We have discovered that it is essential to run mysqld process with the highest possible priority on the 2.4 kernel to achieve maximum performance. This can be done by adding renice -20 $$ command to safe_mysqld. In our testing on a 4-CPU machine, increasing the priority gave 60% increase in throughput with 400 clients.
    what i'm wondering is, can you increase mysqld's priority when it's on the same system as a Web server like Apache without hurting the Web server's performance? i don't know much about how priorities are handled in Linux (except for low priority `nice' processes), but it seems like it would starve Apache for CPU time?

comments?
    - Matt ** Ignore old signature for now... **
    Dr.BB - Highly optimized to be 2-3x faster than the "Big 3."
    "Do not enclose numeric values in quotes -- that is very non-standard and will only work on MySQL." - MattR

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess it would depend on how resource intensive mysqld would be. Obviously you have to optimize it for certain conditions. If theres a humungous amount of threads going on then surte, httpd is going to take a hit. With an average mysqld load though, I don't think there would be a noticeable difference with httpd.

Aaron
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

Making a better wheel silver trophy DR_LaRRY_PEpPeR's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, thanks. i guess i was just wondering if anyone had tried it or even seen it in the manual. i've never seen it mentioned anywhere else.

i might post about it at the vB forums sometime (i've seen you there a few times ) and see if anyone knows about it or wants to try it on their busy site and see if it helps. i wonder if the mods will yell at me cuz i don't have a vB.