SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello everyone!

I've just gotten my revision update posted at:

http://www.growspot.com/

The revision is supposed to make the pages display correctly on Windows machines and AOL subscribers.

I used stylesheets to control the font face/size/etc, and reformatted the table layout to look the same.

Let me know what you think and any bugs you find!

Much (much, much) Thanks in advance!

Patrick R.

[Edited by growspot on 10-24-2000 at 03:36 PM]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi

went to review and got a 404. sorry.

peace

ed

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ed's msg at 11:17 am reported a 404. I got the same 404 at 5:35 pm.
    Gene-B

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    got a 404 error too but i just went to the main page, http://www.growspot.com and all looked good. Good font, links, and nice white background.
    Paul Goodman
    www.thestands.com- Talk Sports and surf our network of sites.
    paul@thestands.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a great example of that "it's a winner" feeling you can get from just looking at one page. For starters, home has a clear description of what the site is about and what it does, and it even has a Site Map link! Easy to browse, easy to look at, easy to read. Even an address, phone and fax Nos., family history, privacy statement, who to contact, full disclosure, etc. I enjoyed digging around this site. I felt right at home and almost lost control and ordered something (well, not really, but I probably should have). The only link that I could not get to work was the "community" one--two attempts did not work. Almost embarrassed to even mention it. Yeah, Patrick, I like this site.

Gene-B

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi

ok i followed the lead of 4thandlong and got the page.

on the home page there are five locations for menu or directory. can these be combined into maybe two.

it is not entirely clear where to go after i have put something into the cart.

the specific pages i was viewing when that occured was those neat little solid brass herb markers. in otherwords i am asking about "where is the checkout?"

peace

ed

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you everyone for the reviews

Sorry about the 404 Error!

I had given up on getting reviews, so I went ahead and updated the the site. The new page is now the home page for the regular site and the revision link doesn't work anymore , oops!

This is a new site. (We went "on-line the 1st of Sept). The shopping cart program we are using requires you to put something into your cart or click the "cart" button to checkout. It dawned on me a few days ago that this was a problem and I actually have buttons all made up for "Checkout" and "Shipping Tables" to add to the Shopping Pages, but haven't done so yet (The shopping cart template is a little time consuming, as I have a seperate template for each category).

I don't know why the community link wasn't working, I'm using Everyone.net and they can be kind of funky on some browsers (on my version of Explorer, there's a big whitespace at the top), so maybe that's it. In any case, I'm going to add my own forum scripts to the site as soon as possible.

Again thank you eveyone for the reviews. It's nice to know when people like the site, and important to know all the potential difficulties! A real heart-felt thank-you!
    GrowSpot.com - Get More From Your Yard!
    http://www.growspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi...First details

Browser: Internet Explorer 5.0
    Modem: 56k

Ok here goes...

All in all this was a pretty good site...

1. The first thing I noticed that could be changed is that on your home page the right corner seemed a little crowded...the search engine form...and the 'title' seemed to close together.

2. For some reason the "cart page" drops the links for the 'newsletter signup' and 'our story' this may be intentional but I wouldn't recommend it, it changes the 'continuity' of the site...

Overall this site seems to have it together pretty well...there isn't any big problems with load time, etc.

Good Job!

[b]James Dasher

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Soory I get a 404 Error
    Craig D. Parker
    http://www.fantasystats.com
    Free Fantasy Football Leagues

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About 5 seconds loading time on my 33.3 connection.

I really like your logo. One suggestion though, you may want to make the "get more from your yard" a little bigger. How would it look if the slogan was underlines in black?

The menubar ("roses | fruit trees|..") is nice, but faily simple. What about adding mouseover effects to it?

You need more spacing between the left column and the middle column. The search <input> box is basically right beside the headline. What about adding a little colour to the left column? Maybe a light blue background.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Getting an error 404 code

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! Very good site design!

The information down the center of the home page is attractive and gets the user interested right away. If the "Featured Items" section on the right had a different background color from white, I think it would stand out more, and would also pop out the center section as well. The same goes for the menu on the left, add a different background color.

The navigation menu on the left could be a bit fancier, perhaps with cool looking buttons (different fruits and vegetables, perhaps?).

In the monthly articles section it would be nice to have longer descriptions of what the articles contained.

A cool idea for the site would be to have “themes” like different graphics and backgrounds that would reflect the current season (fall, winter, spring, summer).

Overall your site has a nice “friendly” feel to it. Keep up the great job!

-- David

Freelance Web Designer KeithMcL's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reviewed using IE5, Win95 on resolution of 1024x768

I think you need to use more lines to break up the content. Everything seems a little cluttered to me.

When you click the community link everything gets screwed up. The roses | fruit trees etc links go vertical. The forum is half way down the page. Needs cleaning up.

On the tools page I think the text around the images doens't look well. Maybe put them in different table cells and align the text to the left.

Overall, the site still looks a little cluttered and each section needs more defining.

rgds,

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, Since I have worked on my friends site which is related, I personally like a more festive looking page. I know people really like a white background, but being a mom, teacher, kids and garden person, I think of the garden as a fun place and think the website should reflect that as well.

But the site has great inof and products! I think you should make the products more apealing to look at on the right site, maybe some good graphics around them?

Hope this helps
    Merle
    www.recipes4learning.com
    Free Recipes 4 Everything!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This site really works for me. The only minor complaint I have is the quality of the photographs. I'm a firm believer that images sell products and the better the photos the more sales. Most of the roses aren't bad but they seem a little muddy and dark on my monitor. Some of the fruit images appear to have the same problem.

Overall though, I think the site's a winner.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good Design.
    Lacks some colour though...
    A little cluttered at the top left...that's about..just the top..there's lots of space between the logo and the right side, which makes it looks a tad lop-sided.