SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a large site I've been working on for the past while. I'm playing with the idea of dropping the Java buttons and using Javascript instead to please a small percentage of the population. I would be interested in feedback as to what you folks think about this, moving to a less complex but perhaps more user friendly site. What are your overall impressions. Many thanks.

http://www.gulfislandsguide.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi

98-2 dsl 17" monitor verge s3 166 pentium

i don't know what i expected but when i clicked on your link, and the page arrived, i came awake. the initial word is WOW.

the load time needs to be checked on a 56k.

i initially did not have the full screen set. so i got 2 scroll bars when i entered. the search by subject disappeared when i clicked to full screen.

the colors are great. all the photos have beveled edges.

i have clicked thru many of the pages, not all - the site is massive. but you provide a very detailed look at each of the islands and facilities of those islands.

i have no problem with any of it.

thanks

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i suggest that you change the applets in your navigation scheme to javascript ...

I think that would cut some load time and give you more flexibility...just my opinion.

other than that I think it's a great looking site, good layout, easily understandable.

a small complaint of mine would be to change the font, I've never liked times new roman. Try arial or verdana...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice neat layout, the navigation you could use javascript to reduce the load time, it tool over 30 seconds on my 56k.

The navigation colours always grabed my eyes while trying to read the page in the middle.

There is no need for a main page really, unless you intead to give the user a choise of Java or javscript navigation.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya..I'd stay away from Times. San-Serif almost always looks better..
    I'd kill the front page, unless you are using it for Search Engines, but that's a different forum. Some frames I have to side scroll, that should be fixed.
    Good Luck.
    -Saleem
    (Vancouver Island)