SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have yet to find one company that is reasonable in price for what you are looking for. Apexmail.net was the best and still was expensive.

They do all the work and host everything on their servers. You can run your own ads, you control everything, but the price is $750 for 5,000 users.

That is the starting price. You can't start with paying for 1,000 and move up from there.

I'd like to hear from others that know of a quality service that allows you to control and maintain your own database.

A last note is that another post asked if you could e-mail those who are using your mailbox service. You can with Big Mail Box. You have the option of sending your own newsletter mailings if you want to.

I believe in them, but not to the point that they are just another piece of annoying spam. If they are structured well and have a good pitch it can help sell what your looking to sell. If you use if daily to just pump out your thoughts of the day, you'll end up loosing what you already have.

Tim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well i am using 1 domain with everyone.net but also have 2 domains with Outblaze.com since Dec 1999.

Do a search on outblaze and my username, cause i think a long time ago i posted info on this before the change in forum scripts...

i use outblaze's cobranded service on 2 domains and also have 2 I-P.com free services too totalling nearly 3000 users.

mail.theprequels.net and thesiths.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    here's the post doing the search i suggested

http://www.sitepointforums.com/showt...?threadid=7598

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Postman1
    An alternative is that I would like to host my own e-mail service by using gossamer mail, but it seems like if I was to give each user 4-5 megs of space and I'll have 10,000 members, that will be 50 gigs of space. Is there any other cost effective way? Like for example, a hosting company offering unlimited space? If I can find such fair prices hosting company then I'll probably go for it. I just like the full control, and everything that comes with it.
    Please don't be mislead by companies offering "unlimited space". You will NOT be able to run 10,000 users and ultilize 50 gigs of space for $20/mo. Trust me.

Unlimited space = 200MB-ish, (maybe a bit more), but far from 50GB. VERY far. Keep in mind that all those email users will be pushing some major bandwidth, so you better look for a "unlimited bandwidth" host as well (KIDDING!!! - another thing that doesn't exist!)
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.
    Chicken

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Prequel or anyone else which one would you recommend Everyone.net or Outblaze? Outblaze sent me their agreement and I think their customer service is pretty fast.
    Outblaze stated that they own 50% of the member lists. Is that the same with everyone.net? I heard Outblaze is quiet slow and their uptime isn't as good as everyone.net. I do however like Outblaze's design and functionality and besides, everyone uses everyone.net. :smash I called Chek.com and they charge $9,000 setup. That's out of the ballpark for me. Which one do like better Outblaze or everyone.net?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    okay regarding member base ownership i can't remember exactly how much they own...

the basics are

everyone.net

pro - management of users allows contacting members and keeping them informed, statistics are alot better than Outblaze

cons - template design is restrictive, unless you offer mail.yourdomain.com and do a design on yourdomain.com - support can take days or weeks to get back to you.

outblaze.com

pro - fully customisable site for the mail, support is quick... for me i even got a Valentine's card from a rep they even hosted my site free of charge for 1 month until i could get a paid account... i don't think they do that anymore

cons - no way of contacting members at the moment, statistics are poor reporting

I would choose everyone.net

There's also northsky which i use for 2 domains and am added a 3rd domain - they offer the hosting service, but email is a new service they have now started to add.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I'm stating a database I mean the contents of the subscriber list, not who you can e-mail to, as this is a fairly standard part of most of the companies I looked into.

What I'm truely looking for is the database of people that I can take and move from one service to another if needed. (ie: move from Big Mail Box to Your own server)

I wouldn't be all that great to have 2,000 + members and you can passively walk away from one company to another without interruption of service, or notifiying everyone that they will have to resign up for the same service again, as you just changed providers.

Please let me know more about NorthSky if I'm not mistaken that was written in your post. I'm replying to yours and it doesn't give me the opportunity to review your message word for word on the reply.

Thanks in advance.

Tim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fredzepplin, I know Outblaze will charge you $1 per user to migrate to another service plus bandwith charges. So if you have 2000 users you will pay $2000.

A am also looking into Northsky. Do they require you to move your host to their hosting servers?

Their build webpage community looks interesting too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nortsky i use for 2 domains separate from my main site. I just finished the paperwork for a 3rd domain on their services.

Yes, the domain has to be on their nameservers

so they setup up

http://www.mydomain.com and mydomain.com to point to your own host's IP address

and

the point subdomains.mydomain.com to their servers

you can reserve subdomains.mydomain.com and redirect them off northsky to your own IP/hoting accounts. i.e.

for my site eva2000.com i offer northsky's services on domains myeva.net and mygundam.net and the main domain redirects to eva2000.com site

i reserved a few subdomains to point to places on my site such as www1.myeva.net forums.myeva.net are reserved

as well as reserver subdomains for future use.

I am not sure how the email works cause it's a new feature which my 2 existing domains need upgrading to and my 3rd domain will already have.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To postman1, yes you can get the email accounts of those who sign up with yor free email service from everyone.net by logging into your account at controlcenter. Don't believe in those unlimited space hostings. It is not possible. how they gonna make moneys out of it.
    Knowing Thailand from Thai perspectives
    http://www.gorgai.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks maepompom, prequel and everybody.

I'll probably end up using everyone.net. Northsky just sent their online agreement to me but I haven't had a chance to look at it. I've got paperwork and things to do up to the ceiling at this point. And at this rate, it might be till next year till I actually have it setup and come around to it.
    By then e-mail will be obsolete.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To postman1, I also use Northsky service to offer free website to my users here at http://signup.gorgai.com. There are problems from time to time, mostly server problems. The revenue sharing is not as good as everyone.net. If you want to see how both services look like just go to freemail.gorgai.com for free email by everyone.net and above address for free website by Northsky.
    Knowing Thailand from Thai perspectives
    http://www.gorgai.com