SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Beginning Java?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi, i am beginning java and i wanted to know if i should buy a book on java or is there enough on the net to help me??? (BE HONEST WITH ME)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think there's going to be plenty of resources on the web, but buying a book couldn't hurt. Sometimes it doesn't hurt to have the actual help in front of you. Might want to check and see if SitePoint offers a tutorial.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the beginning concepts, I think you would need a book or some online resources. But for reference, look up function/methods,... online reference is the best for me.
    I suggest you go to java.sun.com and they do have a java tutorial, and also Java API is there, very good to look up anything.

But only when you grab the basic concepts (like OPP)
    I find it's best to learn at my school.
    - Son Nguyen
    AdSpeed.com - Ad Serving and Ad Management Made Easy

Idea Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buying a good is a lot better, and it will help you learn it a lot faster.
    Professional PHP programing / Hosting
    aim: downtoi3iz icq: 74637813

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Necrominator, do you mean book?

Oh well, whatever

MNazif, my site http://www.freejavahelp.com is aimed at making learning Java easy. The tutorials include GUI, Threads, Introduction, Layouts, Events, JDK, and more.

If you are really stuck on some concept I am willing to try to write an article to help you. Or, if you have a general question, you can jump on over to our forums

the site is

http://www.freejavahelp.com

Thanks!

Jim

p.s. If you have never programmed before, it might be better to get a book to learn the basics
    Making Java REALLY Easy
    Tutorials, Forums, and Articles

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I myself am trying to learn a bit of Java...I'm using "Sams Teach Yourself Java 2 in 21 Days"...co authored by Laura Lemay, the author of the book which taught me HTML.

I would definetly recommend the book...it's tough, but I think that's just the language itself. I'm unfamiliar with classes and an object-oriented programming language, so it's quite a challenge.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TWT, if you want some help let me know. I am no expert, but I know the basics!

Jim
    Making Java REALLY Easy
    Tutorials, Forums, and Articles

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack! Fluffykins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got to learn the basics of Java so I can enter a degree course straight in the second year. Can anyone recommend a good book to accompany a Java Programming module?

If you've taken a module in Java then your course textbook would be a great help!

Ady
    v-technologies - Freelance Goodness.

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would recommend
    Java in a Nutshell by O'Reilly
    It is concise and academic and does not bother with small talk like a lot of books aimed at the general market. Good value for money too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last term, I studied the first course in Java, pretty cool, got 90% and also the first prize in simulating the FreeCell game (anyone played it before?!)

Now I'm studying Java Stucture (Stack, Queue, stuff like that), really boring! but I know it's important

Anyway, the idea of OPP is really great though. Understand it and things would be easier to understand the language itself.
    - Son Nguyen
    AdSpeed.com - Ad Serving and Ad Management Made Easy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Below is the link to a free electronic book called Thinking in Java. You can download the entire thing with answers to exercises also.

http://www.mindview.net/TIJ2/index.html

I have a few Java books which I have been using this year to study Java at University.

The one I have found the best so far is called "Core Java 2, Fundamentals Volume 1", which is written by Cay S. HorstMann and Gary Cornell. Only problem with this is that is uses Java 1.2. We have been using Java 1.2.2 in my course and the current version of Java is 1.3 I believe.

But almost everything has still been relevant with 1.2.2 which I am using.

If you are teaching yourself Java, I would suggest getting books rather than trying to teach yourself totally from online material. That is unless you don't mind spending endless hours staring at a computer screen. Apart from that, it is probably a good idea to get the fundamentals of object oriented programming in Java etc away from the computer and the temptation to jump straight into code.

But by all means go ahead and write your "Hello World" program straight away !