SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Norton System Works only game in town?

What's comparable to Norton System Works out there that would provide the same type of programs that Norton does in their program?

I know Norton has to have some competitors.
    What are my options if I don't want to use Norton System Works?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockrz
    What's comparable to Norton System Works out there that would provide the same type of programs that Norton does in their program?

I know Norton has to have some competitors.
    What are my options if I don't want to use Norton System Works?
    All in one packages, hmm. That's really why I don't like NSW.. because it tries to do everything, and does, IMHO, a pretty piss poor job of it. I'd rather get individual apps specifically designed to handle the task, so..

Sophos -> Virus scanner
    ZA Pro -> firewall
    Mozilla Firebird -> Popup killer
    etc etc etc...
    I swear to drunk I'm not God.
    Matt's debating is not a crime
    Hint: Don't buy a stupid dwarf Clicky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about McAfee for anti-virus?
    I've heard a few folks swear by this prog after getting rid of Norton.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep McAfee is a favourite, I don't like it for a few reasons:

1) IIRC you need to buy a subscription to get their virus updates
    2) It's pretty resource hoggy
    3) It tries to get you to install McAfee Guardian (their firewall) which is pants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    which is pants
    What's that?

I always heard that Norton was a resource hog.

So, should I just go with Norton again?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockrz
    What's that?
    It sort of means "rubbish"

I want Norton installed on my system about as much as I want AOhell on there.... but, really, it comes down to what you have, what you want, and critically, what you can afford...

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

System Works

SystemWorks is used to monitor system activity, clean up unwanted files, "permanently" erase files, recover files, etc. It does come with antivirus if you choose to install it, but it does not come with a firewall. The package is meant to be used as a system monitoring tool. You can buy separate tools and have a "system works" but not just one.

As far as antivirus and firewall goes, in reviews Norton comes out on top. Is it a resource hog? Yes. Have I seen any adverse affects from using Norton? Yes. Do I recommend Norton products? Yes.

I have yet to find software that does not cause some sort of problem after being installed. This should not be your only guiding point in making a decision it should be whether or not it will get the job done. One of the reasons the products are so good is because they are very intrusive, but as we know, that is a two-edged sword.

There are many testing sites out there and reviews on software. I personally don't like the Mcafee products because I have had too many people running it and still getting viruses as well as having adverse affects because of the software. Now this was a while ago so it might not be fair to the product now, but I rely heavily on independent reviews that always give Norton the edge.

Before I forget, Norton products are also more expensive then other protection software. Another thing about the products is that they connect frequently to the Internet or at least they try. If you already have a firewall I would disable them from connecting, except for live update.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by weirdbeardmt
    Yep McAfee is a favourite, I don't like it for a few reasons:

1) IIRC you need to buy a subscription to get their virus updates
    2) It's pretty resource hoggy
    3) It tries to get you to install McAfee Guardian (their firewall) which is pants
    4) They are now owned by Verisign - not a company I want to do business with.

McAfee totally screwed up last fall after a major update. (Just go to their forums and look at the frustrated, disgruntled customers!) I uninstalled it despite the fact that I had several months left on my subscription and now use AVG. No problems and it's FREE!

I use ZoneAlarm free for firewall though their latest update also screwed up and I had to go back to the previous version but that might be fixed by now. (It's on my 'to do' list.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by earther
    4) They are now owned by Verisign - not a company I want to do business with.
    As a curiosity matter, what is your source of information on this? Far as I know McAfee is owned by Network Associates, Inc. and I can't find anything pointing to Verisign owning NAI.
    Never put off until tomorrow what you can do
    the day after tomorrow. ~ Mark Twain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keriam
    As a curiosity matter, what is your source of information on this? Far as I know McAfee is owned by Network Associates, Inc. and I can't find anything pointing to Verisign owning NAI.
    Gosh, I don't know where I read that. I remember when I was on the McAfee site trying to solve the problems, Verisign was all over it as well as on the update screens. I wrote them a scathing letter. I was on the site now and it has been redesigned - no Verisign to be seen.

Google didn't find anything just now so it may have been a misperception. Maybe they decided to distance themselves after the Verisign DNS hijacking fiasco a few months ago. However, at the least, they are partnering http://news.com.com/2100-1001_3-201916.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Verisign does have a subsidiary called Network Solutions. I was just wondering if perhaps Network Associates and Network Solutions were being confused.

No biggie!
    Never put off until tomorrow what you can do
    the day after tomorrow. ~ Mark Twain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keriam
    Verisign does have a subsidiary called Network Solutions. I was just wondering if perhaps Network Associates and Network Solutions were being confused.

No biggie!
    No, I didn't see anything about Net Sol but the Verisign logo was all over the McAfee site. Gone now. Guess they realized it was hurting their business whatever the relationship is/was.