SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need Advice on XML

i work as a web designer for a small web design company. we use Dreamweaver MX. i was thinking that it might be a good idea to start developing our sites in XHTML as it becoming a future trend. what would be the best way to approach my boss about this?

would i do the web sites in HTML like i normally do and then convert them to XHTML? I am learning XHTML and want to know what would be the best way to approach this.

we have a lot of clients and i don't think it feasable to go back and convert completed web site to XHTML but i am thinking of only the new sites that we do in the future.

correct me if i am wrong, but i have yet to see a product like dreamweaver mx that easily creates pages in XHTML in the same type of authoring environment.

any advice would greatly help.

robert
    for web design visit:
    www.rcgodina-design.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going forward, it would be a good idea to make sure that you're closing all your tags and so forth but unless your customer's buy into the value of XHTML comliant code and want to pay for it...I don't know. Especially if you're not coding the stuff by hand. A lot of older browsers don't support XHTML (thinking specifically of putting your scripts in CDATA sections).

FWIW

The doctor is in... silver trophy MarcusJT's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1) Dreamweaver MX fully supports authoring XHTML documents

2) It also has a one-click "convert to XHTML" feature

3) Although this runs on a page-by-page, I seem to recall seeing something somewhere about a free extension which allows you to run this on an entire site (or selection of files), so have a look for that.

I personally write all new code/sites in XHTML, using the standard tricks to ensure that v4 browsers can handle them too.

MarcusJT
    - former ASP web developer / former SPF "ASP Guru"
    - *very* old blog with some useful ASP code

- Please think, Google, and search these forums before posting!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Talk to your boss about which browsers he really wants to support. If he's fine with "anything from the last 3-4 years", then go XHTML. If he wants the layout to go back to IE3 or Netscape 4 and look just like the IE6 version, then don't go for it. I also would not go with the latest bleeding-edge standard right now. Stick to XHTML 1.0, which browsers seem to be coping with much better nowadays. I am fighting the same battle here at work; I want to go for XHTML compliance and better accessibility but my boss is stuck using the NS4 crutch, even though it's about 1-2% of our userbase (and I'm sure most of those "hits" are just me and the team checking out the sites in NS4!).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for your comments.

time is money so i want to present a solution to creating XML web sites in a timely manner. would you recommend doing the sites in HTML and then coverting them to XML?

how would you do it? i use dreamweaver mx.

robert
    for web design visit:
    www.rcgodina-design.com

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just check "Make document XHTML compliant" or something when you create a new document in Dreamweaver MX.

Also, if you are learning XHTML then you know that its mostly similar to "regular" HTML. Its not that much of a leap. So why waste time coding in HTML and then XML-ise it?
    Last edited by duckie; Feb 19, 2003 at 10:35.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I agree with duckie. If you go XHTML the first time and validate as you go, you'll have less problems than if you wanted to write in HTML first and then convert. IMO the rules in XHTML are a little more strict, but simpler and things you should already be doing as good coding practices, like closing your tags, nesting properly, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good points guys.

in terms on XHTML validation once the pages are done, what program do you recommend to do this?

robert
    for web design visit:
    www.rcgodina-design.com