SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking for sites to register domain names (aside from Network Solutions and Register.com). I want to build up a listing for my web page design class. A few comments on each link would also be appreciated (offers affiliate program, requires hosting package, etc.)

Thanks!
    Debby Kilburn
    "With computers, everything is possible, but nothing is easy"
    AIM: fourhweb

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like Dotster.com

its not the cheapest out there, but I really like its interface. Like how I can register multiple domains at once, which I dont think network solutions lets you do that. They're pretty cheap, 15$ per year, and their website is easy to use.

Chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Came across this recently, http://staples.register.com $1 (yes one dollar) domain registration for a limited time only.

Anybody tried them?

Padraic Lavin

Advertising Free Message Boards $5/mo
    Instant Setup. ForumCo.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gandi.net is the cheapest registrar to my knowledge, but 000domains.com is my favorite. I'm about to register with them. As aspen said, dotster.com is also worth a look.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Podge!

I just registered 15 domains through the staples site. The offer is good until tomorrow only (9/30/00). It is done through Register.com. I figure I can transfer the domains later for a cheaper renewal after the year is up. It was very easy to do.

I am still looking to list sites that register domain names however.

If two sites are offering domains names for the same price, what makes one better than the other? For instance, mjames86, if gamdi.net is cheaper, why use 000domains instead? What should you look for when choosing a registrar?
    Debby Kilburn

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I look at service much more than price.

Even the most expensive registrar doesn't charge much. Anywhere you go its a nominal charge. Who cares if I can save $15 a year by going to joker.com? I take one look at their horrible site design and immediately wonder if my money is safe with them, if I should trust them with my domain etc.

Chris

ps if you want a list of all the registrars go here:

http://www.icann.org/registrars/accredited-list.html

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Dotster, usually. The $15 price is very good, but what tips it for me is the ease of registering names with them and the ease of changing information through their control panels. 000Domains.com is good, too, but I just don't like the look and feel, etc. as much (so I'm willing to pay an extra $1.50 per year for that look and feel).

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you register many domains, you will absolutely like BulkRegister.com - they offer a great professional service (I think they're run by Alabanza, but not sure).
    You have to pay a sign-in fee to use the service, but in exchange you get a nice panel-thingie to use. And, moreover, the more domains you register, the lower your price will get!

Have a great day!
    Mike Ossendrijver
    Sales, AdSensor - Quality Online Marketing
    mike@adsensor.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use joker.com, almost at the floor price.
    Any body tried register .moo at OpenSRS.com
    .moo mmoooooo..
    - Son Nguyen
    AdSpeed.com - Ad Serving and Ad Management Made Easy

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack! Fluffykins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're in the UK, or even if you're not, all my domains have been registered using http://www.domaincity.co.uk.

It'll cost you 10 for a registration, they use frames forwarding, but it's really easy to set up using an admin function. E-mail forwarding is unlimited and also uber-easy to set up. Their tech support is also really good, i've managed to stuff things up once or twice and they've sorted it within a couple of hours - via e-mail too.

Don't worry i'm not associated with the company at all, just find their service really good

Ady
    v-technologies - Freelance Goodness.

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I registerd my first domain in the UK with a company that used frame forwarding. NEVER AGAIN I tell you that! I had loads of problems getting top registrations with search engines. When I moved my domain and stopeed using frames forwarding a lot of search engines starting registering me all of a sudden!

Idea Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Podge
    Came across this recently, http://staples.register.com $1 (yes one dollar) domain registration for a limited time only.

Anybody tried them?

I registed dealresort.com, but the problem is that after the first year you pay 35 bucks to update your domain.
    Professional PHP programing / Hosting
    aim: downtoi3iz icq: 74637813

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Podge

Anybody tried them?

I registered a bunch of domains with them last week. Even though its a $35 dollar renewal after the first year, I am not worried about it. If the ideas don't pan out then I will just abandon the domain names and not renew. Those that do should be profitable enough to cover hosting and registration fees. Not worried about much more than that.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's the same thing I thought. I have been using the register.com domain manager and it seems pretty easy. You also get 3 free pages (through their very limited page builder) and an email address with each domain. My sister-in-law and I are giving domains for Christmas this year. I thought I'd even kick in a custom page for each person. Always on the lookout for low-cost holiday gifts :-)

I came across an article on CNN about DomainZero. They give register one address for free for life in exchange for accepting email from their sponsors. The name is registered in your name, as opposed to NameZero, which lists themselves as the registrant. One of my students came in last Saturday so excited that he had registered his name for free, but when we sat down and looked into it, we discovered that NameZero actually owns his name. You can transfer to another registrar for a fee. I haven't looked into all of the details however.

The CNN article is at http://www.cnn.com/2000/TECH/computi...dg/index.html.
    Debby Kilburn