SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can anyone explain why this is happening? I put a forum on my site, first using anyboard by netbula. Worked for three days, then somehow the permissions got changed on the scripts. I'm the only one with access to my account, and I wasn't even NEAR my computer when this happened. So, being entirely too impulsive, I deleted everything and re-uploaded the script and set up a new forum. Three days later, the same thing. I thought it must be a bug in the script or something. So I 86-ed them.

Fast forward a few days... I set up boardpower on my site (it's fabulous, btw), and it worked great until yesterday, when messages weren't getting posted. Got an error message saying the forums weren't writeable. So I fixed the chmod on the forums directories, and now they work great.

Any clue why this would happen? Is it a problem with my host or is this sort of thing common?
    Cheese-N-Rice - A daily comic strip.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a problem with your host. I would make sure they are not trying to restore from a backup or that they don't have a script that looks for wayward CGI and disables it.

I would also probably be looking for a new host.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Freelance Web Designer KeithMcL's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It defaintely sounds like something to do with your host. Have you asked them about it? Only thing is they may say it's a third party script and cannot help you set it up.

Was it 3 days later for each forum script? If so then either someone has managed to hack your site and is taking the p**s or it's a host issue.

Any else got other thoughts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me run this by you and see if it makes any sense...

With both anyboard & boardpower, it's been the files & directories that have been created through their admin panel that have gone berzerk. Any files & directories that I manually installed through ftp have been fine.

For instance, when the directories weren't writeable, I changed their mode through ftp and they were fine. I then created a new forum through the admin. This morning, that new forum wasn't writeable, but the others were fine. Changed mode on that through ftp, and it's fine.

Could the host be disabling scripts & directories that weren't installed through the normal ftp, with my regular username & password?

It hasn't been *exactly* every three days, and I think if someone hacked my site, they'd do more damage than just changing some permissions.

Just wondering, if I changed hosts, would I lose my current forums - the messages & members profiles?

Thanks so much, guys. I'm learning so much through this site!
    Cheese-N-Rice - A daily comic strip.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I can say that it definitely sounds like a local problem (host). Some hosts have in place scripts that track CGI CPU usage...... if the scripts that you installed are written poorly and take up a lot of CPU time then they are disabled by changing the file permissions by the CGI monitor script. I have experienced this at a couple of hosts that will remain unnamed here.

Good Luck!