SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: New CD-Rom?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi everyone,

I'm in a bit of a fix with my CD-Rom. It seems that it is pretty dirty, beyond what a normal CD Cleaner will take care of. I can't even install any software, it's that bad!

Would you recommend I get the laser lens cleaned professionally or just buy a new one? What kind do you recommend and where can it be purchased?

Thanks,
    Bob Messinger
    Movie-Fever.com - News, Reviews, Trailers..
    Movie Fever Forums - Visit and discuss movies with other fans!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't already have one I would replace it with a CD writer. I've got one and they are soooo useful for back-ups, sending data to people (not everyone has zips), demonstration of web-sites, making audio compilations, etc.
    Of course you can use it as a normal CD-ROM also.

Also blank CD's only cost 25 (?$40) for 50, cheaper than audio tapes. (For UK people get 50 PCLine CD's in Dixons).
    Thread Closed - Before and After.
    www.Gods101.co.uk - Affordable Quality.
    www.scepticism-inc.com - All extremists should be taken out and shot!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But the reader of those CD writers are much slower than the normal ones you buy.

And if you buy a new one, buy a DVD one, they're not that expensive anymore. It can of course read CD-roms and this fatsre than payable CD writers.

Christophe

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't know that!

I have a DVD that I use for playing CD's and DVD's, and a writer for, er, writing!

How fast does a player need to be? I think it's only for really fast games that you need a really fast drive. Mind you I'm not hardware-aware so what do I know?

CD writers are handy though!

Peter
    Thread Closed - Before and After.
    www.Gods101.co.uk - Affordable Quality.
    www.scepticism-inc.com - All extremists should be taken out and shot!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies guy's! I Did a search on yahoo and found an article on zdnet where they review what I guess is some of the better drives http://www.zdnet.com/pcmag/features/cdrom/cd-intro.htm.

I was checking out the Toshiba and they even make CD-RW/DVD-ROM/CD-ROM drives all in one now for not a bad price. I think it was like $268.

Anyhow I don't need top of the line, maybe something middle of the road. I wasn't aware that you could install a DVD-ROM or CD-RW and use it just like CD-ROM..thanks for the heads up, I will probably go one of those routes then.

EDIT: I think the link to the article I posted above is a bit out dated. 1997 I believe.

[Edited by BobM on 09-29-2000 at 06:28 AM]
    Bob Messinger
    Movie-Fever.com - News, Reviews, Trailers..
    Movie Fever Forums - Visit and discuss movies with other fans!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Peter Hibbit
    I didn't know that!

I have a DVD that I use for playing CD's and DVD's, and a writer for, er, writing!

How fast does a player need to be? I think it's only for really fast games that you need a really fast drive. Mind you I'm not hardware-aware so what do I know?

CD writers are handy though!

Peter
    My CD writer has 14x read capabilities, which is quite slow to even install something. My DVD drive can read CDs at 40x (but I think it goes faster than 40x on a CD drive) and can read 6x DVD (which is quite fast)

Christophe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My HP is a 8x4x32. It costs about $150 now. It is a top rated one and is extremely reliable (and at 32x is faster than my real CD drive.) Anyway, don't go much above that or you are getting overcharged.

Owen

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by freesources
    But the reader of those CD writers are much slower than the normal ones you buy.

And if you buy a new one, buy a DVD one, they're not that expensive anymore. It can of course read CD-roms and this fatsre than payable CD writers.

Christophe
    Man that's totally wrong.

Top of the line CD writers are not much slower than top of the line CD-ROM drives. Mine reads normal CDs at 32x. An official benchmark would have to be conducted because 32x is different from company to company.

DVD drives are slower than CD drives.

When CD drives were relatively new, they had 2x drives, which were about twice as fast as previous drives. Well, I saw a $99 100x CD drive 3-4 years ago and I knew there was something wrong there. They must think that old drives were really archaic. A more accurate measurement of CD/DVD speeds would be a benchmarking tool. I am sure you can download one free at download.com. I have heard of CDTach, but never used it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aidan,

I was talking about the payable CD writers and not about the topline whihc cost half of a computer. CD writers are expensive here in Europe. Remember the USA is not the only part of the world. I can only say what i've experienced. My DVD drive is really quick and my CD writer reads really slow, although it was one of the better on the market here.

I have a Pioneer DVD drive and a HP cd writer.

Christophe

DVD drives are also much cheaper than CD writers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You must be talking about something like what I have- a HP CD writer (mine happens to be external). I think it is 4x4x8 and yes, it reads slow. As someone said, benchmarks are really the only way you can tell...

8 times what? 40 times what? This isn't a true statement of speed, just as stores offering sales of "50% OFF!!!", only make me ask, "50% off what?" 50% off the prices we just jacked up 200% right before the sale?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My CDR drive is 12/10/40 (it wasn't particularly expensive), 40x is perfectly acceptable for all tasks. In reality you don't need anything above 24.
    Also, my DVD drive reads DVDs at 10x (very fast) and CDs at 40x. I would say that both DVD, CDRW and normal CD drives can read at similar speeds...its not right to buy a different type of CD drive due to the kind of speed issues you've all been discussing.
    IMO speeds dont make all that much difference anyway...when I upgraded from 8x to 40x i could barely notice the diference.

Idea Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its cheaper to buy a new one
    Professional PHP programing / Hosting
    aim: downtoi3iz icq: 74637813

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by freesources
    Aidan,

I was talking about the payable CD writers and not about the topline whihc cost half of a computer. CD writers are expensive here in Europe. Remember the USA is not the only part of the world. I can only say what i've experienced. My DVD drive is really quick and my CD writer reads really slow, although it was one of the better on the market here.

I have a Pioneer DVD drive and a HP cd writer.

Christophe

DVD drives are also much cheaper than CD writers.
    My CD burner which is 8x/4x/32x is very fast. If you want to measure true performance, you need to do benchmarks as I said earlier.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd skip the DVD and buy a CD/RW drive.
    Jim Lewis
    To BE or Not to BE, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Barium Enema
    FrappyDoo Forums