SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question scrollbar color style

I have used a colored scrollbar <style> that works fine on most pages, but since I've done some editing to a page, it's not showing up now.

Does anyone know what would cause this style not to work?

There must be a very simple reason why it won't work anymore, but I can't figure it out.
    T h o m a s H o w a r d
    Artistic Visions
    QUALITY GRAPHIC DESIGN

gingham dress, army boots... silver trophy redux's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a link to the page in question, or maybe adding your HTML to the post, would help us identify the problem...
    re·dux (adj.): brought back; returned. used postpositively
    [latin : re-, re- + dux, leader; see duke.]
    WaSP Accessibility Task Force Member
    splintered.co.uk | photographia.co.uk | redux.deviantart.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The following info assumes that the site in question is the one in your www link button:

Use the complete, proper <style> tag.
    Code:
    <style type="text/css">...</style>
    Stylesheet comments are like this:
    Code:
    /* blah blah blah */
    Remove the ' from around your color values

Make all the attribute names lowercase (optional, but definately better than mixing uppercase and lowercase together in a single attribute.)

DTD goes at the top of the code (i.e. above the ad banner code)

Where's your character encoding meta tag?

Not trying to be offensive, but your time would be better spent focussing on the quality of the code rather than filling the site with 'gimmicks' such as search facilities and even more flashing objects.
    To be utterly frank, the site currently looks like just another bargain basement javascript/link depot (sorry).

It's the confusion in the code that makes it hard to spot mistakes.

Give the code a good clean up. Updating the code would be another good thing to do as there is lots of obsolete code in there.
    Once you have the DTD and character encoding meta tag in place, run your pages through an online validator such as W3C's markup validator and CSS validator and correct any problems it picks out it.

It won't actually help directly with the scrollbar colours as they are not part of any web standard.
    However, it will help you get the code cleaner and more manageable which will help you to spot the problems in future and make them simpler to fix.

Hope this helps.
    New Plastic Arts: Visual Communication | DesignateOnline

Mate went to NY and all he got me was this lousy signature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanx

Thanks for your replies.

The page I'm working on is not online yet.

I'm aware of the messy code on my current site. It's really my first attempt to build a site with html. I've been learning more and that's why it's getting a complete overhaul.

Bill, your frankness is appreciated. I'm sure you understand that newbies are often attracted to the "gimmicks" or "bells & whistles." I plan to use less of them in my new design, however, I plan to keep a lot of the free content for now.

I appreciate your suggestions and hope to have much cleaner code for my new site. A lot of the codes on that site are cut & paste jobs, so the mistakes and inconsistencies are not entirely mine, but I will attempt to clean them up.

Anyway, the problem with the scrollbar code is not with that code in itself, since the same markup works on other pages, so I'm thinking it might have something to do with other code surrounding it, though I have tried moving it around within the <head> tags.

I just thought someone might know what (outside of the <style> code itself) would cause it to not work. And yes, I'm viewing it in IE6.0.

2 more ignorant newbie things...

1. I don't know what DTD is.

(a lot of the code at the top is from the host, not mine. {free site ads etc.} and I have found errors in their code as well. And I'm not happy at all with this host, so I will be getting my own domain with a much better one.)

2. I'm not familiar with the character encoding meta tag.

Thanks again for taking the time to look at it. Very nice of you guys to offer help.
    T h o m a s H o w a r d
    Artistic Visions
    QUALITY GRAPHIC DESIGN

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It may also depend on your doctype if you changed that to xhtml.
    Try using html as a selector. ie.

"html, body {scrollbar...."
    blakems.com
    "reaching more of your brain cells"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up thanks Blakems!!!

There was indeed some junk in the doctype that shouldn't have been there. I removed it and the scrollbar looks great! Thanks a lot!
    T h o m a s H o w a r d
    Artistic Visions
    QUALITY GRAPHIC DESIGN