SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to say that I am not pleased at all with "Site Meter". It consistently UNDERESTIMATES the number of visitors to my site by almost 50%. I know this because I compare its stats to that of WebTrends' and my server logs...Has anyone else noticed this?

Kat
    TheWeighWeWere.com - Weight Loss Success Stories from A to Z!

oops, I did it again...re-relaunced July '07

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea, I have been having some problems with sitemeter (detailed in another thread http://www.sitepointforums.com/showt...?threadid=9343 ). I went as far as downloading the code to webtrends, but haven't gotten around to installing it yet.

Of course, I'm sure you know the whole spiel about ensuring that you're comparing "unique visitors" to "unique visitors" and not "UV" to "Page Views"... etc.

Many times I've been told the only accurate counts are the logs. Unfortunately I'm hosted on a free provider (for now)and can't access their logs (unless anyone else knows how to find tripod.com's logs).

Tell me more about webtrends. You say it's showing twice as many unique visitors as sitemeter's counter? Are you happier with webtrends?

Thanks for the info.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like WebTrends, and their results are indeed twice has high than Site Meter's. WT's results are very close to my server logs.

Hope this helps.

Has anyone had any luck with Extreme Tracker?
    TheWeighWeWere.com - Weight Loss Success Stories from A to Z!

oops, I did it again...re-relaunced July '07

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is interesting... haven't noticed any usually low traffic dips in my stats... but if this is the case, which I doubt, it would be nice to know I get more traffic than I think.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you should give stats4all.com a try... It's closest to a perfect FREE stats provider!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any "free" stats package is going to miss something, if it relies on downloading an image or Javascript. The only way to get it right is to use log analysis software. I use Hitbox because it provides some other benefits, but it does underestimate actual traffic.

If you can run scripts on your server, AXS is very good. I won't get into all the other commercial options, because there are as many opinions as there are options, or more.

Dan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hitbox is quite slow, when checking report.
    I prefer to download my stat and then use FastStats
    - Son Nguyen
    AdSpeed.com - Ad Serving and Ad Management Made Easy

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you should use OpenWebScope. It's a great free program that analyzes your logfiles very accurately. Just about any logfile analyzer is better than a remotely hosted service.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used several different logfile analysis programs, but OpenWebScope wasn't one of them until this week. It looks reasonably good for freeware, but it's not up to the standard of FastStats or WebTrends just yet.

I like the Hitbox for a number of reasons, mainly that I have web-based access to very detailed stats when I'm traveling, although I'll probably get rid of it when I launch the new version of my site in a couple weeks.

Downloading a few megs of logfiles into the analyzer is agonizingly slow over a motel dial-up connection, so I need to find a web-based solution before then.

Dan