SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Puerto Vallarta fishing Site please review

Hello I posted My site here when I first published it in 2007 and I received alot of great tips I have made alot of changes in the past 6 years still not the best but much better please review
    www.puertovallartafish.com

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The colors and layout and pictures are nice.

Biggest problem I see is the text and the typos. If you want people to read your information, you need to make it more readable. Here are some suggestions:

1) Use paragraphs. They organize your info into groups of short focused messages to your customers.

2) Use bulleted lists. People will read those even when they read nothing else.

3) Add some white space in your text. This makes it much more readable. Putting blank lines between paragraphs does this perfectly.

4) Fix the typos. Both spelling and sentence structure. Typos cause a decrease in trust of a website.

5) Fix the english and grammer and punctuation. These all also cause a decrease in trust. Hire someone with good writing skills to re-write your text. It's pretty cheap for the great effect it has.

I hope this helps you "catch" more customers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Way tooooooooo much text.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    would have to agree with the above. You've got a lot of content (which is good) but you need to make it more accessible.

Have a look at adding padding to text areas to move it away from the edge of the box, it can be a little fiddly getting it cross browser compatible but its worth it to make it more readable.

You are using a lot of inline CSS so you might like to try moving towards using an external CSS style sheet to make it easier to update everything at once.

For long pages maybe consider splitting it into a new page or at the top using named anchors to jump to relevant parts of the page.

Not sure why you have the website address and email on the top right. If i am reading that then i will know what website i am on from the address bar and the title of your page. The email address would be useful but you do have a contact form so i'd personally remove the email address to stop it being picked up for spam purposes. You could simply put 'contact us' in that place.

Makes me want to get out in the sun and do a bit of fishing though

best of luck
    If i am a product of your imagination you should try harder!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think there is way to much text in the main area, where it becomes overwhelming to users. The nav bar on the left is a little busy, and too much selection, maybe use submenu?
    also the site looks a bit outdated to be honest, some graphics would add a nice touch to it! I also think you need to space out the content with more pictures and interactive element as well as add some animation effects so the user knows where they are when they are interacting. Hope it helps!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for reviewing my site Puerto Vallarta fishing sorry if its a a dumb question but what do you mean by padding ?

Quote Originally Posted by Noppy View Post
    Hi,
    would have to agree with the above. You've got a lot of content (which is good) but you need to make it more accessible.

Have a look at adding padding to text areas to move it away from the edge of the box, it can be a little fiddly getting it cross browser compatible but its worth it to make it more readable.

You are using a lot of inline CSS so you might like to try moving towards using an external CSS style sheet to make it easier to update everything at once.

For long pages maybe consider splitting it into a new page or at the top using named anchors to jump to relevant parts of the page.

Not sure why you have the website address and email on the top right. If i am reading that then i will know what website i am on from the address bar and the title of your page. The email address would be useful but you do have a contact form so i'd personally remove the email address to stop it being picked up for spam purposes. You could simply put 'contact us' in that place.

Makes me want to get out in the sun and do a bit of fishing though

best of luck

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for reviewing my Site !

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by puertovallarta View Post
    thanks for reviewing my site Puerto Vallarta fishing sorry if its a a dumb question but what do you mean by padding ?
    Hi Sorry didn't see you had replied and asked a question.

Padding is the space between the edge of the box and the text. you can read about it here http://www.w3schools.com/css/css_padding.asp

there is also margin that is the space outside of the box.

On your site your text is right next to the box border. If you added a div around the inside text with padding it would give a bit of space between the edge and the text

eg

<div style="padding:10px;">

your text here

</div>

note this would add 10px around the text. if you want to define different amounts to different sides you can specify all 4 sides eg style="10px 5px 6px 9px;" which goes in the order of up, right, down left

hth
    If i am a product of your imagination you should try harder!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, but I do not like it either. Looks like a website from the 90's. Check out <snip> for inspiration. You could have a very nice fishing image in the background, split the text up in sections and down the page. One feels bombarded the moment the page loads.

Good luck with it.
    Last edited by TechnoBear; Apr 13, 2013 at 03:34. Reason: Irrelevant link removed