SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK. I've usually been pretty patient with SPAM coming to me. I just delete or unsubscribe right away. But its been coming more often. And the unsubscribe instructions don't work, or the unsubscribe requests get bounced back to me. Sometimes, there's even NO address in the From: field, so if I hit reply, nothing appears in the TO: field.

Anyway, what do I do to get rid of spam, and stop these people from wasting me time.

Thanks,

Adam

exit();
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can filter out special words in the subject line or body of the message I think in outlook 2000

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I filter, but it's amazing how they get clever and change the subject or the from name slightly!

SitePoint Co-founder Matt Mickiewicz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might I suggest http://www.brightmail.com for filtering your email? There's also seperate utilities that will go through your email before you see it looking for telltale signs of spam.
    Matt Mickiewicz - Co-Founder
    SitePoint.com - Empowering Web Developers Since 1997
    Follow me on Twitter.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Filtering the mail is helpful, but what do I do to get these people to stop sending me mail? Is there someone to forward these messages to that can do something about it?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a look at this thread

http://gethighforums.com/Forum8/HTML/000044.html

and, indeed, the entire forum, which is devoted to the topic of spam. This thread is about how to stop people harvesting your e-mail address, which is what I think you are talking about.

Hope that helps.
    Football-Punter.co.uk
    The Punter's Lounge - the best football forum on the web.

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.abuse.net lets you report spammers. The best you can do is email their network administrator (hotmail.com and yahoo.com have very strict anti-spam policies and will delete any potential spammers.

Or you can put up a page on your site with a bunch of junk email addresses like

alskdfjw@eoituw.edu

and nonsense stuff like that, to keep the spam harvesting robots busy. It wont stop them, but it will definitely clog them up for awhile

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Sparkie
    [B...to keep the spam harvesting robots busy. [/B]

Spam havesting robots !?!?! Is that for real... I've been wondering how my email addy has been showing up on some lists...

kat
    TheWeighWeWere.com - Weight Loss Success Stories from A to Z!

oops, I did it again...re-relaunced July '07

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Kat
    Originally posted by Sparkie
    [B...to keep the spam harvesting robots busy.

Spam havesting robots !?!?! Is that for real... I've been wondering how my email addy has been showing up on some lists...

kat [/B]
    It is very real... Just like Search Engines build spiders to collect and follow urls, Spammers use the same technologies to collect email addresses for their lists. Not only do they collect these addresses but the sell them to other companies as well. The best way to protect yourself from this is to use feedback forms instead of an email address on your sites. With a form you can hide your email address on the Server and never have to worry about spiders seeing it. It also makes it a lot easier to change the email address if need be.

Sparkie:
    Instead of random domain names, always send your fake email addresses to 127.0.0.1 which is always the local host and any valid email addresses you create will bounce back to the Spammer's employees. Some good ones are
    webmaster@127.0.0.1, support@127.0.0.1, sales@127.0.0.1, etc...
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can also use a javascript that will hide your email address from most harvesting robots. The downside to such scripts however is that your visitor needs to have javascript enabled for them to work.

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fight Back!

When you get a spam you see usually that its from someone like freemoney@yahoo.com or hotbabe@aol.com

It is never from that address, do not try to contact aol or yahoo, I can write you an email and make it seem like its from bill gates, or anyone else I want.

What you do need to look for is what site are they advertising. Go to that site, look at it. If there are banners for ad networks, affiliate programs etc. Go to the companies that own them, give them the url of the page and say that this person is spamming you. They'll delete the person's account and not pay them for any click throughs from that banner page.

Then you go after the hosting company. If the site is hosted on angelfire or geocities its easy. Go to the company's homepage, look for a security link, spam link, contact link etc, find an email address for reporting spammers and tell them this member is spamming them. Their account will be deleted.

If it is a full blown website, ie http://www.Ispam.com, then you can have more fun. Do a whois lookup on the spammer's domain and find out who hosts it. Go to that hosts webpage. Tell them this person is spamming, they'll delete their account.

If the link is just an IP address you can still find out. Open your dos prompt, type in tracert xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx and you'll get their domain name displayed on top of the screen (if there is one) and do the whois lookup and get their website deleted.

If there is no domain, you can use the IP address to figure out who their ISP is. I don't know how to do this but I know its possible. Each isp has their own prefix, the big ones like AOL, or MCI, will only use the first 3 numbers as their hostname, smaller local ones will use the first 9 numbers. But you can find out who their isp is. And then take away their internet access.

You can fight back.

One thing I wouldn't do is let the spammer know you are doing this. I did this accidentially once, the spammer was posing as his own hosting company, so I said "Delete so and so's account" so he listed my address as the return address on his next batch of spam. So I called the FBI on him. Which you can do as a last resort. Spam is illegal, and so is online harassment.

Chris

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chek out http://www.spamcop.net - I always report my SPAM to them, they will forward it on to all appropriate network admins. I have got a couple of accounts closed by using SpamCop, so I think its definitely worth it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have also heard that spamcop is very good at getting the job done. Also just as a suggestion, when you get spam never reply to the message. It only serves to let the spammer know that you read it and you will only get more of the same. Alot of them give you a way to contact them to not recieve anymore from them, when in reality if you just delete the email and don't reply you will never hear from them again. Of course there are exceptions.
    Bob Messinger
    Movie-Fever.com - News, Reviews, Trailers..
    Movie Fever Forums - Visit and discuss movies with other fans!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a funny little program that you might be interested in.. never tried it myself, but... Only thing I've heard is that the messages are a bit harsh, so you might want to use your own

http://www.cix.co.uk/~net-services/spam/spam_hater.htm

I had a link to a tool that converted your email address to something else, but they've gone membership, so if you don't mind signing up for stuff, check: http://www.bla-bla.com/members/pubsy....cfm?pid=40563

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to use Spam Hater! It used to really scare the spammers. There was a Spam Hater template that sounded like an actual legal release forwarding their name and contact information to the appropriate authorities. It worked for quite a while, and I didnt get much spam after that!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by adam_shep
    OK. I've usually been pretty patient with SPAM coming to me. I just delete or unsubscribe right away. But its been coming more often. And the unsubscribe instructions don't work, or the unsubscribe requests get bounced back to me. Sometimes, there's even NO address in the From: field, so if I hit reply, nothing appears in the TO: field.
    Don't mess with these spammer's "unsubscribe" instructions! This is more of way to get MORE spam than before. Do you really think they are going to unsubscribe you when they sent you spam in the first place? By "unsubscribing", you are really just letting them know you are reading their crap...