SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

exit();
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi! I'm seriously thinking about starting a hosting company soon and wondering weather I should incorporate it even before it launches?

Should I get my lawyer to do it too? Or should I do it online myself for cheaper?

If online, what are good sites to do so?

What's the chances of getting sued by doing a hosting company?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, you won't be able to incorporate online. There are many companies who will submit an application for you after you have filled out an online questionaire (and paid a lot of extra money). But the incorporation process is handled by individual states and whose Secretary of State (usually) decideds to approve or deny you application. NO states currently allow submission of incorporation applications online.

These firms will simply type out standard paperwork and send it it for you. Online firms who will file for you give you only a standard, no-frills, incorporation. (Unless you pay extra, usually outrageous fees.) This is certainly nothing you can't do yourself and for less money. (Many states provide one page "check-the-box" incorporations.)

There is much to be though of. Certainly, there MAY be tax and liablility advantages to incorporating. There are also other business entitys (sp?) that would be MORE advantageous to you (i.e. LLP, partnership, etc.)

So, what to do? Do you got money? (stupid question...) If you got money get an attorney AND an accountant and tell 'em what you got in mind and ask them to help you decide on you business' organization.

Don't got money? Got time and some smarts? Start reading. Go to the book store and peruse some books on business organization (incorporate your self, LLP's for beginners, etc (fictitious titles but you get the idea.)

Self incorporation (if that is the right organization for you) is not hard. But you should be educated to make sure this is the right choice AND that you have include the best provisions/structure for your business.

The subject is really much to much to long to gointo in a forum. If there was enough people who wanted to know I might be willing to describe my recent self-incorporation this last summer (done through Nevada). Let me know.

In the mean time mkaufman get me your email address and I'll email you if you have additional questions.

Exotic Hawaii
    Live the life of your dreams!
    http://exotichawaii.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, im really interested. I am finishing up my website right now and as soon as its done, i am going to need to apply for a business license since i will be selling import car performance parts. I always wondered how i would go about doing this. I know how to get a business license but i dont know what type of business entity i should be choosing. Any help would be appreciated.

-james
    www.tuninggear.com

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since no one else responded and seems interested I don't want to muck up the forum with a long thread entry.

I'll write you an email tuning gear to see if I can help with any questions.

mkaufman, again, get me your email if you need help via email.
    Total Life Success - Don't give in. Succeed. (tm)

Total Life Success Forums - the Web's Leading
    Success Community™

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanx mfarmerhi, just in case you dont know, my email is tuninggear@Hotmail.com, but im sure u figured it out by now, thanx!

-james
    www.tuninggear.com

Idea Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Incorporating also is better, because you take a lot of litability off yourself.
    Professional PHP programing / Hosting
    aim: downtoi3iz icq: 74637813

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey mfarmerhi, I'm interested in the whole incorporation process too, I've been planning on setting my webdesign business up as a corporation through nevada also, and any info you can provide on your experiences would be a great help. email: aaron@aewebdesign.com

thx