SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just started working as a web designer for an ISP. we are hosting a few websites on our servers and are thinking of pushing the business more toward web-development. I am green around the ears about e-commerce and shopping carts and such stuff. Also I need to secure these sites in IIS 5.0 on a Win2K server. Where can I start? I probably need a good package to deliver to our customers that either one can configure. Should We get one of those "e-com in a box" for each time a customer wants a shopping cart site? Where is a good starting place for a small company who is just starting to get into e-commerce?

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.cgi-resources.com should list a few good shopping cart programs..

Idea Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have php/mysql because there are a couple of full store scrits available for that.
    Professional PHP programing / Hosting
    aim: downtoi3iz icq: 74637813

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do have PHP 4 and we are currently using Microsoft SQL. I could probably set up a linux box no prob. thanx for the ideas so far. the security issue is defeating me though.
    Code:
    Glory, power, wisdom and honor
    belong to our God, and his Messiah.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NT 5.0 and IIS support SSL and NT Authentication (if you don't want to use a custom solution based off your SQL database).

My suggestion since you have the equipment and hardware is to look at ASPin and HotScripts in the ASP section. You will find full featured e-commerce applications geared towards a SQL Server database. You will find Security Solutions. You will also find many more solutions geared towards your current architecture.

Second thing to do is learn ASP since its running on your current architecture. Pick up "Professional ASP 3.0 Programming" from Wrox Press. You can also visit sites such as ASP101.COM, 4GUYSFROMROLLA.COM and ASPTODAY.COM for online tutorials and examples

Third, read your IIS help files, they can tell you how to install SSL security on your site and use NT Authentication for access.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks again. Thats alot of good info to start with. I applaud you guys, and thank you much
    Code:
    Glory, power, wisdom and honor
    belong to our God, and his Messiah.