SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On my Win98 machine, it says I'm logged in as "John M. James" (my dad) - I know this because it says "Log Off John M. James..." above the Shut Down button on the Start menu.

My question is, can I make a Windows profile for just me? And if I do, how do I do it and will all my settings that I'm logged into now be effected?

May sound like a dumb question, but I've always wondered this...

Thanks for your replies in advance.

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is easy and also advisable because it means you and your dad can set up your menus, desktop and even email how you wish it too.

Go to:
    Setting>Control Panel>Users and then select New User. Then just follow instructions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks.

What if I want to keep all the settings I have now and just change the profile name to my name?

More questions (I'm just full of them lately ):

When I create a new user, do they start out in Windows with just the basic programs and nothing we've installed on our computer?

Also, how would I get rid of that Windows Login (annoying) box that pops up on Windows' start?

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simply log your father off and in the Login Box you can create a profile for yourself by simply entering in your name.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Marc, if you do it the whay I said it will ask you whether you want to make copies of the existing settings. Your new user profile will contain all the programs installed on your machine. As to the login window, if you don't log in then it won't know who the user is!

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you just want one profile with your name on it (for instance if your dad rarely uses the computer, there is no reason to log in every time) then you can do this:

Start: Run: regedit <enter>
    Edit: Find
    "John M. James" (w/o quotes) <enter>

This is probably the registry entry that defines the person who registered Windows. If not, press F3 until you think it is the one. Now change the name to what you want. Hopefully, there won't be any problems. Save the registry, and restart Windows.

Make sure that you've backed up the registry before you do this!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by abahta
    If you just want one profile with your name on it (for instance if your dad rarely uses the computer, there is no reason to log in every time) then you can do this:

Start: Run: regedit <enter>
    Edit: Find
    "John M. James" (w/o quotes) <enter>

This is probably the registry entry that defines the person who registered Windows. If not, press F3 until you think it is the one. Now change the name to what you want. Hopefully, there won't be any problems. Save the registry, and restart Windows.

Make sure that you've backed up the registry before you do this!
    If it's going to take all this, then forget it! Was simply wondering. Thanks for all the replies, though!