User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by wluke

What I would personally like to know Elledan is if your so experienced with Linux and hate Windows so much, why are you using Windows 2000 the majority of the time? You can't tell me that there is not a suitable program replacing any program or utility on Windows in the Linux world. There are HTML Editors, file managers, graphics editors, business applications and much more. [/B]
    Well, I'm currently switching between Windows 2000 and Linux all the time, but Windows 2000 is still the most used OS by me since DreamWeaver runs on it

Just to let you know: I don't hate Windows 2000, it's Windows 9x that I hate.

BTW within a few months I'll have a new PC and then this PC will be my Linux box

PS: anyone here uses VMWare?
    www.nyanko.ws - My web-, software- and game development company.
    www.mayaposch.com - My personal site and blog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Elledan
    let's restate...

You don't hate Windows, Windows hates YOU

Christophe

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to offend you, but you're one of the few people I know that like the bookmarking system of IE...
    I hate the bookmarking system in Netscape. The one in IE is very good, as wluke mentioned.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally prefer the bookmark system of NS.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LuZeR, why do you like it? I don't see how you could, but I would be interested.

I grew up as a Netscape boy (sad thing) but I became wiser as I grew older...and switched to IE around the 3.0 to 4.0 days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's simple and straighforward.

I haven't had the time or desire to figure out IEs system. I looked a couple times but it was too confusing and since I use netscape anyway i figured i wouldn't take the time.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm...I think that IE's favorites are very straightforward. It just makes sense. I don't see why anyone uses Netscape.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the favourites in NS because I can copy the
    favourites file [it's just a HTML file] and then copy
    useful links out of THAT into any page I want, using a WYSIWYG editor. It means
    see a page > bookmark it > put a link to it in another page. Saves a lot of bother.

You can get a program called 98Lite at http://www.98lite.net
    to re-install the IE3 browser, and cut some of the bloat out of Win98. [Side note! I thought the URL was 98lite.com, but it re-directs to a p*rn site. Bloody domain jumpers. Just shows ya, register that domain if it looks like it's going to be popular at all!]

TigerTom
    http://www.tigertom.com/web-site-design.shtml - nifty stuff 'ere!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I'm now in Linux and I've just copied the bookmarks of Netscape in Windows to the directory in Linux.

Result: I've now every bookmark that I've got in Windows as well...

I use to make a backup of my bookmarks reguarly, so then it's very handy to have them all in one HTML file.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can put all the of IE's favorites in a single file if you so desire. Very simple to do. (File Menu -> Export -> Favorites). In fact I do the same thing every week.. I export my favorites at home and then import them at work. I never bookmark pages at work, instead I mail the link to myself at home and bookmark it. This allows me to keep them in Sync with little hassle. I can do the same thing with cookies if I want to.

I personally like how IE uses the natural hierarchy created by the file system to allow you to organize your favorites.

Luzer: There is nothing to figure out. You go into the Windows Directory and there is a folder called Favorites. Inside that folder are subfolders and shortcuts that include every Favorite you have marked. Want to reorganize them? Just drag and drop from one folder to the other within Explorer, not some small tiny dialog box.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you 'file bookmark' in IE? You know: you can select a folder to create the bookmark in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Tiger_Tom
    You can get a program called 98Lite at http://www.98lite.net
    to re-install the IE3 browser, and cut some of the bloat out of Win98.
    Why would I want to switch to IE3 again? It's like goin back to DOS!

Christophe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    P.S. I should say you should ALWAYS make a copy of the bookmark html file in Netscape if you're going to mess with it,
    as the original has important formatting (see the source code).

Re: 98Lite. If you want to get more hard disk space, if you don't have a high-spec pc, if you just want a browser
    rather than an OS-cum-browser hybrid, if you want your
    high-spec pc to run faster, if you just like cutting the
    FAT out of bloated programs => then try it. I haven't yet [I just installed Win98 a couple of days ago on a high spec pc, and am looking forward to eviscerating it]

I keep IE3 and Netscape 2.02 around because they load up quick, and I can check my pages look good under the most trying of circumstances.

TigerTom
    http://www.tigertom.com - just go there.

[Edited by Tiger_Tom on 09-29-2000 at 10:02 AM]

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, no problem.

Choose "Add Favorite" and it gives you a list of all available folders and the option to create a new one to put the bookmark in. I usually keep my favorites open in the channel bar so adding them is easy. Since I am at 1024 X 768, having the channel bar open also allows me to view pages at 800 width, which is the industry standard, without resizing my window or adjusting my display settings.

You can make the page available offline as well. This means you can set up a schedule where the system will connect and download the page you desire so that you can read it at your own leisure. It stores the page on your hard drive so download speeds are not a problem. I do this for several News sites like the LA Times, Chicago Tribune and San Jose Mercury News. I also do the Local daily forecast for my area from the Weather Channel site. I can then look at the headlines, weather and other events in the 15-20 minutes I have between getting dressed and walking out the door in the morning on the way to work. Really cuts down on the time needed, I get the pages I want and when I want. Doesn't require any separate software.

I find IE to be the best browser when it comes to customizability. I surf with parental controls turned off yet when my son logs in to the PC they are turned on, with a separate toolbar (called Surf Monkey), for his use. There are other little features you can change as well to make it easier to use. I like having an Internet Radio Tuner right on my toolbar so I can listen to good stations from around the world, the customizability is what makes a program user friendly. Now if Microsoft could add Skins without the resource overhead associated with NeoPlanet, then I would be a happier camper.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wluke, take a look here. It allows you to put wallpaper in IE. No other buttons just a wallpaper... And it has no ads like that service with a Sun (forgot teh name)

http://microsoft.com/Windows/IE/WebAccess/default.asp

Christophe

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Elledan; re: vm.. I used to use it, but now I use pm and dual boot. (and I have a spare comp aswell)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like we got ourselves another IE/NS argument going on.

To comment, how on earth is NS's bookmarking system better than IE's? I personally hate NS's system - that's one of the main reasons I don't use it as much as IE. You can't, (to my knowledge), sort the bookmarks by name... which is an important way to locate them when you have A LOT like me...
    It seems like we've a different opinion

Not to offend you, but you're one of the few people I know that like the bookmarking system of IE...

On the forum of K-Meleon, people were complaining about the fact that the creators have chosen for the IE bookmarking system, they all suggested to use the NS one.

BTW you'll find lots of people who despise IE on that forum as well
    What you said was beside the point. I'm interested to know what makes Netscape's bookmarking system better than IE's. I love IE's because you can sort the bookmarks by name. You can't, to my knowledge, on Netscape. When you have as many bookmarks as I do, knowing where to find them can be quite helpful...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Marc > I sort my bookmarks in NS in different folders, very similar to the way I manage files on my HDs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Marc > I sort my bookmarks in NS in different folders, very similar to the way I manage files on my HDs
    That's too much of a hassle... you can do the same thing in IE without having to open anything else. Just right click > sort by name.

Idea Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by freesources
    let's restate...

Christophe
    I coumpletely agree with you.
    Professional PHP programing / Hosting
    aim: downtoi3iz icq: 74637813

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by necrominator
    Originally posted by freesources
    let's restate...

Christophe
    I coumpletely agree with you.
    Windows doesn't have feelings and therefore it doesn't know 'hate'.
    It's just a (lot of) bunch of code.

BTW I LOVE my Win2k system! No crashes, stable as a rock and MUCH faster than Win98, which is now in my trash bin (not the Windows one, but the one right beside my desk ).