User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First computer!

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok mine was (still is) a Spectrum 48k. ANyone remember it> It had rubber keys and you had to plug in the joystick and the tape player. I still have it plus nearly 250 original games. I bring it down from the loft sometimes and play Mission Impossible and Sweevo's World.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first computer was a Commodore Vic20. It had 4K of RAM and 16K of memory. I had a tape drive for it and a joystick. It hooked up to our living room television. You could play games off either the tape drive or a cartridge. Some programs came on cartridge as well.

I used to remember always buying all the new computer magazine so I could type in the "free games" that were included in them. The joy of playing a game after typing in 15 pages of Basic code is probably better than anything else, well at least from a game perspective.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a commodore 128

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IBM 166MHz/16MB of RAM/2.5GB HD - that was replaced only a couple of weeks ago by a new Dell.

After I bought the IBM, my family bought a 486 for $200. We also have a really old TI computer from the late 70s/early 70s.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't remember the specifics, but my (actually the family's) first computer was a IBM one that had no mouse and ran on DOS. *gasp*

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dunno but I had to punch holes in little disk for operations and the computer was the size of my garage.
    Stuart Briscar Consulting - Free Website Consulting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by wluke
    I used to remember always buying all the new computer magazine so I could type in the "free games" that were included in them. The joy of playing a game after typing in 15 pages of Basic code is probably better than anything else, well at least from a game perspective.
    I know the feeling...

Ours was a Mac with 16 megabites of ram, and a top of the line 28.8 modem. Top of line, oh yea.

The oldest computer I have now though is a Apple 2GS I bought to program in Basic on. Fun, fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jumpthru - I think Wluke predates your computer by a decade

Anyway, my first computer was a TRS-80 from Radio Shack. It was an oversized keyboard that plugged into the TV. I seem to remember something about:
    Code:
    10 ?"What is your name?"
    20 input a$
    30 ?"Hello " a$
    40 end
    It seems funny. I didn't have anything else to do with computers for 10 or 12 years. It's only been the last couple of years that I have deceided to switch career feilds and start learning computers again. Currently, I'm taking a VBScript course to help with learning ASP.
    Code:
    a = inputbox("What is your name?")
    document.write "Hello " & a
    Deja-vou
    Westmich
    Smart Web Solutions for Smart Clients
    http://www.mindscapecreative.com

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by wluke

I still remember doing this on my Commodore 64.

I also would try and write text adventure games... Well, more like choose your own adventure.

One of my favorite things was to write some code in BASIC that would cause random colors to flash on the screen in a never-ending loop. Pretty trippy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of my favorite things was to write some code in BASIC that would cause random colors to flash on the screen in a never-ending loop. Pretty trippy
    I DID THAT! COOOOOOL. I made my own custom screen savers, lol.

SitePoint Co-founder Matt Mickiewicz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first real computer was 486 SX 33 with 4MB of RAM (later upgraded to 8MB), a 200MB hard drive (I now regularly download more than that in a single day), no modem, and 14" monitor.

Those were the days...
    Matt Mickiewicz - Co-Founder
    SitePoint.com - Empowering Web Developers Since 1997
    Follow me on Twitter.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by adam_shep

I did that... Accidently left it running one day and my parents thought I broke the television.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by westmich
    Anyway, my first computer was a TRS-80 from Radio Shack. It was an oversized keyboard that plugged into the TV. I seem to remember something about:
    Code:
    10 ?"What is your name?"
    20 input a$
    30 ?"Hello " a$
    40 end
    that was my first computer too!!! Yeah, it was actually made by Texas Instruments, that was a fun little beast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure but I think my first comp was a 486 running windows 3.1
    russell.cz.cc - coming soon (I promise!)

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine was a ZX81 which cost me 60 (?$100) and I had to spend another 40 to upgrade it to 16k. I use to make little blocky cartoons on it.

When you loaded a game off tape you had to watch the screen to get the black and white bars the same size, and then half the time the load wouldn't work. The best game was 3D Dungeon Maze (was that the name - it had a T-rex in it).

10 ?"What is your name?"
    20 input a$
    30 ?"Hello " a$
    40 end
    That's what we used to type into the display machines in shops, and felt very clever for doing it.

Peter
    Thread Closed - Before and After.
    www.Gods101.co.uk - Affordable Quality.
    www.scepticism-inc.com - All extremists should be taken out and shot!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This post was below GodFather's but you guys are too quick!!!

Me too (what Godfather's post on top of this one says). Guess you can date us all by that, heh. No I didn't use a punch card computer, and no my *first* computer wasn't a Dell P233. Seems I am inbetween and westminch.. me too. Did all the TRS80 and C64 stuff, BASIC, but then not again until the last few years. Guessing you are 28-30

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah! I had a TRS 80 from Radio Shack, from back in 1981 I remember it had to be plugged into a TV and you had to type in a long string of commands to be able to start a game.

And I remember typing LIST to see all the code that made up the games, then I would tweak with it to see what I could do. I ruined a LOT of games that way

Sparkie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't it use some sort of cassette recorder to either store or run games? I seem to remember a cassette recorder. Really slow. Even then.

We were the first to get a C64 on the block with those show box sized floppy drives. Man those never worked. I think my father still has 3 of them under his desk stacked up. Power supplies failed if you looked at 'em too long.

edit
    originally typed in "Didn't it use domr dort of cassette" - whups!
    /edit

[Edited by Chicken on 09-25-2000 at 05:38 PM]

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first computer was a 386 SX/33MHz, with a 270Mb hard drive, 8Mb RAM, etc. I actually got it working with Windows 95A...something that looking back I can barely believe
    My next PC wasn't much better...486 DX/66MHz

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (My dad) I had an 8086, 4.17mHz, 51/2 Disk drive, Tape drive, Color monitor, DR DOS (later upgraded to MSDOS 3.11)...
    All the mod cons..
    We also added a 20mb hdd.. and we were never short of space.
    The latest thing we got to run was windows 2.0 before we sold it..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

My fisrt computer was AMIGA 64 XL (or LX).

There was a slot for cartige and I had small recorder/player for tapes. Generally, I loaded every game or program from tape, using "super speed" cartage that cut time on loading.
    For display I used the TV, and for input/control - keyboard which was a part of the whole computer, and joysticks (had many broken on favourite "rambo style" games)

My favourite computing was writing in Basic, using ready-to-go programs from different magazines, etc.
    I remember my first music (close to music) was done on special software for Amiga.

Too bad I sold that one to my friend after I had new IBM 486/33

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well...i had a tandy...nothin special about it....I could play frogger though Had two 5 1/4 drives, and it was a classic!

Misfit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think my first computer was a 1988 (or 86?) Apple Macintosh with a 3 1/2 floppy drive, tiny black and white screen, and like a 25MB HD with 4MB Ram. I think those were the specifications...

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first computer I remember using was an amstrad! it had a tape player where the games took about 30 minutes to load! It was black with coloured keys on the keyboard.

after that I got another, I think it was a Commadore, it had a whole 1Mb of ram (upgraded from 1/2Mb) no storage (everything was on disks) we had about 200 games all on copyed disks from a friend of the family.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MIne was a 286 when i was 4 years old DOS was its operating system and graphics were only 16 color eesh
    Ace Nova
    Football Man
    InternetSprite.Com - Coming Soon!