SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Count number of pages in a site

    Hi guys, I was looking for a way to count the number of pages an html site has. Like if I've been told a certain site has 500 pages, how can I count and make sure.

  2. #2
    SitePoint Wizard
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    1,921
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    google it
    site:yoursitename.com

    gives a reasonable estimate.

    But why exactly do you wish to know?

  3. #3
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    need to scrap some basic info from each (and every) page. so have to estimate the time it would take.

  4. #4
    SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy PicnicTutorials's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Carlsbad, California, United States
    Posts
    3,625
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make a site map showing only html it php extensions. That will show exact

  5. #5
    Mouse catcher silver trophy
    Stevie D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    5,829
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GiraffeMan View Post
    Hi guys, I was looking for a way to count the number of pages an html site has. Like if I've been told a certain site has 500 pages, how can I count and make sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by GiraffeMan View Post
    need to scrap some basic info from each (and every) page. so have to estimate the time it would take.
    The easiest way is to ask the people who run the site, they should be able to at least estimate the answer. You have got their permission, haven't you? Otherwise it would be theft, and if that's what you're planning then you're a brave person coming on here and admitting it in public...

  6. #6
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie D View Post
    You have got their permission, haven't you? Otherwise it would be theft, and if that's what you're planning then you're a brave person coming on here and admitting it in public...
    Oh absolutely. The actual owner of the website (who is a friend) has no IT skills. Her programmer is not available for a month and I'm needed to make her a new report, the data for which is in separate pages.

    Thanks for all your suggestions guy.

  7. #7
    SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy PicnicTutorials's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Carlsbad, California, United States
    Posts
    3,625
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds about right. Every project I have ever taken over sounded just the same -"the previous designer went MIA"

  8. #8
    Mouse catcher silver trophy
    Stevie D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    5,829
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GiraffeMan View Post
    Oh absolutely. The actual owner of the website (who is a friend) has no IT skills. Her programmer is not available for a month and I'm needed to make her a new report, the data for which is in separate pages.
    If she doesn't know how many pages she's got (or you don't trust her estimate), the best way to be sure is to ask her for the username and password to access the control panel or FTP server, and then you can just log in and count them.

  9. #9
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie D View Post
    If she doesn't know how many pages she's got (or you don't trust her estimate), the best way to be sure is to ask her for the username and password to access the control panel or FTP server, and then you can just log in and count them.
    Yep thanks, that's exactly what I did. She didn't know the login/password either then, but then found she it.


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •