SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't get localhost:3000 and "Welcome to Express"

after typing "node app" in command line, I got following:

Express server listening on port 3000 in development mode

/Library/WebServer/Documents/node.js/book/chapter01/authentication/node_modules/mongoose/lib/utils.js:413
    throw err;
    ^
    Error: Uncaught, unspecified 'error' event.
    at NativeConnection.EventEmitter.emit (events.js:73:15)
    at Model.init (/Library/WebServer/Documents/node.js/book/chapter01/authentication/node_modules/mongoose/lib/model.js:554:31)
    at exports.tick (/Library/WebServer/Documents/node.js/book/chapter01/authentication/node_modules/mongoose/lib/utils.js:408:16)
    at Db.ensureIndex (/Library/WebServer/Documents/node.js/book/chapter01/authentication/node_modules/mongoose/node_modules/mongodb/lib/mongodb/db.js:1066:28)
    at Db.indexInformation (/Library/WebServer/Documents/node.js/book/chapter01/authentication/node_modules/mongoose/node_modules/mongodb/lib/mongodb/db.js:1200:28)
    at Cursor.toArray (/Library/WebServer/Documents/node.js/book/chapter01/authentication/node_modules/mongoose/node_modules/mongodb/lib/mongodb/cursor.js:124:30)
    at Cursor.each (/Library/WebServer/Documents/node.js/book/chapter01/authentication/node_modules/mongoose/node_modules/mongodb/lib/mongodb/cursor.js:166:32)
    at Cursor.nextObject.self.queryRun (/Library/WebServer/Documents/node.js/book/chapter01/authentication/node_modules/mongoose/node_modules/mongodb/lib/mongodb/cursor.js:441:39)
    at Cursor.close (/Library/WebServer/Documents/node.js/book/chapter01/authentication/node_modules/mongoose/node_modules/mongodb/lib/mongodb/cursor.js:687:5)
    at Cursor.nextObject.commandHandler (/Library/WebServer/Documents/node.js/book/chapter01/authentication/node_modules/mongoose/node_modules/mongodb/lib/mongodb/cursor.js:441:21)

Please help!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Solved. I configured db.js file and put the right versions according to package.json file.

It would be nice to have more detailed instructions in the book about setting up the environment.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm having a similar problem... When I go to type node app, I get the following error.

Tylers-MacBook-Air:authentication tylerh$ node app

/Users/tylerh/authentication/app.js:35
    .log("Express server listening on port %d in %s mode", app.address().port, app
    ^
    TypeError: Cannot read property 'port' of null
    at Object.<anonymous> (/Users/tylerh/authentication/app.js:35:76)
    at Module._compile (module.js:449:26)
    at Object.Module._extensions..js (module.js:467:10)
    at Module.load (module.js:356:32)
    at Function.Module._load (module.js:312:12)
    at Module.runMain (module.js:492:10)
    at process.startup.processNextTick.process._tickCallback (node.js:244:9)

Does anyone have suggestions for how to troubleshoot this?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay... not sure where the mix up happened, but was excited to figure it out.

I found I finally got to the point where I was receiving another error, that commenting on the actually app.js file not working. Googling the error got me to this page: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...o-method-flash

So I added connect-flash to node.

However localhost:3000 still doesn't come up with anything.

But now if I visit http://0.0.0.0:3000 instead, it shows the "Express Hello World" message.

SitePoint Author
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TylerH, if you are getting the welcome message it would seem to be some sort of DNS configuration issue and nothing to do with the Node.js side

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Don, thanks for responding.

Not really sure what the issue is, I've been scouring stackoverflow for people having similar problems but not having much luck. I kept moving on and got to the form submission part, which I don't know that problem is causing the error now but the signup form submits now (http://0.0.0.0:3000/form) but just cycles through until it eventually times out without giving a real error.

I'll post the solution when I find it.
    Last edited by TylerH; Jan 5, 2013 at 12:11. Reason: Was unclear about my position in the book in the first edit

SitePoint Author
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about http://127.0.0.1 does that work?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, kind of an obscure issue but I figured it out. The form now posts using the 0.0.0... address as well as the 127.0.0.1 the actual problem though wasn't any of that.

I compared my files with someone else who had a working example, and found that they had a simple alphanumeric password. I was using an '@' symbol in my password. So I dumbed down my mongo database username and password to just being test/test... (Super secure) but yeah now it connects.

So the lesson here was not to include the @ symbol in your passwords?

Hope that help someone else, I know I lost three days from just that.

Thanks again Don for offering advice!
    Last edited by TylerH; Jan 6, 2013 at 12:51. Reason: missing word in one of my senctences