User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi

many of the entries in my community calendars repeat and typing in

Toddler Lapsit at the local library.

for the jan 1,8,15 etc. is a drag but i want this information to flow with the one time information.

there must be a way to do this but i have not been able to find it. i have kevin's tutrial, mysql by duBois, Core PHP by Atkinson. But am able to get another.

also those pesky monthly repeating. "First Monday of the Month". I want to put in the regular calendar.

then i will do a pull from there using another field identifying similar items, seniors, library, neighborhood groups.

any ideas?

thanks ed

[Edited by edshuck on 09-24-2000 at 12:19 PM]

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a fairly twisty bit of code to write. If you're asking if there's a non-obvious easy way to do it, I'm not aware of one. Just figure out what different types of event repetition you want to support, and how each could be represented. You could then, for instance, have a database table for each type of repetition, and have the columns of those tables store the data required for each. Finally, entries in these tables would relate back to the main events table using an ID.

It's just a matter of breaking down the task and taking things one step at a time. If you've never written a sizeable script before, however, you have an interesting challenge ahead of you.
    Kevin Yank
    CTO, sitepoint.com
    I wrote: Simply JavaScript | BYO PHP/MySQL | Tech Times | Editize
    Baby’s got back—a hard back, that is: The Ultimate CSS Reference

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks

your response sounds really good.

using your answer, this is the direction i will head.

my immediate goal is to handle those events that repeat weekly. for example, there are 15 weekly events for seniors. there are probably 150 more for the teens and kids. so i can create a table and every thing in the table repeats every week. and i can include a skip for events that would occur on a holiday. (check another table containing holidays). and i can use the holiday table for facility closed and other things.

biweekly, same kind of thing.

i will save the convultion of the first monday of the month for last type problem, it will require a lot of thought and by then i will have two (or three) more working progs behind me. (along with their learning curve).

thanks for the help.

peace

ed