SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Swap & Give out web application review

Hello, please review my Swap and Give out for free website.

Swapond.com

The idea behind it is to create a community that exchanges items or services without using money as a value of exchange. Users can trade multiple items with multiple users. There is a system for evaluating items and users (+ or -) which can create trust. When a user accepts a trade request, the users exchange 'contact cards' (which last 3 days) that contain the contact information that they have selected in the settings.

It is build with Twitter Bootstrap, PHP and JQuery to create a responsive and engaging design.

I am a developer and I am not trained to design. All the graphics and design is done by me, or from stock images, so please be fair.

Any information/comment/suggestion is very welcome.

Thanks in advance,
    Anthony.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    like the idea
    first impressions. nice and friendly, clean.

I thought the 'get started' button was a bit lonely up by itself in the banner. could it not just be first in the menu row maybe?

Not sure if there is anything you can do but i was also greeted by a couple of pictures of semi naked girls in the 'recently added item' which turn out to be entirely innocent but for a second i thought it was an advert block of dodgy sites. I guess this will change as more people use the site.

Also is this site aimed at Greek people? or is it purely by chance that the items are all Greek at the moment.

hope that helps
    If i am a product of your imagination you should try harder!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Noppy View Post
    Hi,
    like the idea
    first impressions. nice and friendly, clean.

I thought the 'get started' button was a bit lonely up by itself in the banner. could it not just be first in the menu row maybe?

Not sure if there is anything you can do but i was also greeted by a couple of pictures of semi naked girls in the 'recently added item' which turn out to be entirely innocent but for a second i thought it was an advert block of dodgy sites. I guess this will change as more people use the site.

Also is this site aimed at Greek people? or is it purely by chance that the items are all Greek at the moment.

hope that helps
    Hello and thank you very much for your review.

The get started button is like my call to action button (notice the color) in my tests I've seen many people go for that instead of the top menu so I kept it there. Maybe it's the color that gets them to go for that, or the fact that it is faster than reading stuff on the menu.

The naked ladies that you mentioned are just dolls.. Yeah actually one of my first users has added underwear for trading. What can I do?

I wanted to make this website multinational but I had to start advertising somewhere, that's why I started FB and Google advertising locally. I deployed rather fast (and of course with a few bugs) so I wanted a small crowd coming in, maybe I will invest some more into worldwide advertising in the near future.

Thanks again.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool idea, the designs looks really clean. However, I don't like the clouds following my mouse around, but that could just be my personal taste .

The buttons ,"Swap items with useful stuff"; "Give awayfor free"; "Find what you need where you need it" don't look enough like buttons for me.

Some more information would also be usefull
    Last edited by Paul O'B; Jan 7, 2013 at 10:36. Reason: typo

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all I like the website very much. Great job on the design and I like the simplicity of it. Everything seems in the right place.
    I would try to make the Urls more friendly (this one http://www.swapond.com/index.php?s=v...YXRlZ29yeS8xNA,, is not the friendly )
    Also maybe make all this URLs redirect to a single one. No you have http://www.swapond.com/index.php, http://www.swapond.com/ and http://swapond.com/ all available and having the same content and I don't think search engine like that.
    Good luck !

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PunctRo View Post
    First of all I like the website very much. Great job on the design and I like the simplicity of it. Everything seems in the right place.
    I would try to make the Urls more friendly (this one http://www.swapond.com/index.php?s=v...YXRlZ29yeS8xNA,, is not the friendly )
    Also maybe make all this URLs redirect to a single one. No you have http://www.swapond.com/index.php, http://www.swapond.com/ and http://swapond.com/ all available and having the same content and I don't think search engine like that.
    Good luck !
    Hello, thanks a lot for your reply. I am glad that my time reading about design seems to have paid off and I am sorry for my late response.

I do agree that the URLs are not very human-friendly but they do carry some information that is required for the 'Back' buttons and that is why they are getting more complicated as you move into more forms and at some point they get reset because the string is getting too long for the get request. You are right about the redirects but they do in fact redirect you to the same page, so I wouldn't know how else this could be done. Do you mean a sort of header redirection or something else?

Regards.

SitePoint Addict bronze trophy vectorialpx's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For some product page ( example: http://www.swapond.com/index.php?s=v...1jYXRlZ29yeS8y )
    the page looks empty. Only a left column is not so "design-friendly".
    You could add a second column with "Similar products" (from the same category)

I like it. It's clean and friendly!
    Good luck!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vectorialpx View Post
    For some product page ( example: http://www.swapond.com/index.php?s=v...1jYXRlZ29yeS8y )
    the page looks empty. Only a left column is not so "design-friendly".
    You could add a second column with "Similar products" (from the same category)

I like it. It's clean and friendly!
    Good luck!
    You are right. It does seem a bit empty. I have similar products at the bottom though and I wouldn't want to overcrowd it. I will think about what else I could include in a second colum.

Thank you for your review.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi!
    For me it’s not entirely clear in the beginning, what the side is about and if it is free or if I have to pay to use it. You have this image of the person in the background on your front page and the text with the basic description is running over this image, making it hard to read. Further the logo does not fit to the rest of the page. On the other hand, it looks like a typical Web2.0 site

SitePoint Member James_Thompson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Idea is amazing! Implementation is also good but I have several suggestions:
    1) Make "Get started" button bigger and place it right under the feet of that funny guy
    2) In category "Items added lately" thumbnails are faded - that looks like they are not available, the same thing is with Terms and conditions - Feedback - Help
    3) "View item" page - images are too small, better place full version of photo.

For now that's all. Good luck with your project!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James_Thompson View Post
    Idea is amazing! Implementation is also good but I have several suggestions:
    1) Make "Get started" button bigger and place it right under the feet of that funny guy
    2) In category "Items added lately" thumbnails are faded - that looks like they are not available, the same thing is with Terms and conditions - Feedback - Help
    3) "View item" page - images are too small, better place full version of photo.

For now that's all. Good luck with your project!
    Dear James,

Thank you very much for your suggestions.

Concerning the 'Get started' button, it has gone through rigorous testing to become my sort of call-to-action button and it is quite successful, meaning that I see many users clicking on it, way more than I expected anyway. About the 'Items added lately', I never really though about that and I think that you are right, I will try to find another effect for that. Also I agree with 3, I will think of a gallery implementation for the 'View item' page.

Thanks again,
    Anthony.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great concept! I will check in to your site periodically to see what kind of offers are out there.Will you make money off of this website? I could not find any information on fees or anything in the terms and conditions. If you do decide to charge users for this service I would be curious to see what kind of revenue it would generate. I would like you to visit my site and see what you think. I will post a thread soon.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rl419 View Post
    Great concept! I will check in to your site periodically to see what kind of offers are out there.Will you make money off of this website? I could not find any information on fees or anything in the terms and conditions. If you do decide to charge users for this service I would be curious to see what kind of revenue it would generate. I would like you to visit my site and see what you think. I will post a thread soon.
    Hello,

Thank you for the positive comments. I do not plan to charge the users for this kind of service, I am hoping to maybe make my hosting and domain name charges from the google ads that I have placed all around the website. I think that they are rather subtle (max 2 per page).

Looking forward to seeing your website,
    Anthony.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings everyone,

My website has undergone numerous changes lately. Some according to your comments and others that I simply had coming.
    Amongst everything else, I have implemented:

• SEO friendly URLs
    • Newsletter
    • Login with either username or password
    • Facebook OG graph
    • Minor presenation fixes due to IE bugs

Any new feedback would be more than welcome.

Cheers.