SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to allow clients to update their site....

I'm wanting to know if there is a program that would enable me to build sites for clients where they can login to make their own text changes.

I would want the pages to appear to be static. I would want to have .html extentions, and at least have static headers so I can control the key words in the title tages and in the upper portion of the page. (another words, I don't want a database driven site, or dynamically created pages)

As I've studied search engine optimization, I've leaned that dynamically produced webpages are not search engine friendly and in many cases do fair well with search engine robots. There are work arounds for that, but there's no guaruntee.

If I could find some thing that would give me most any level of control I desire, and still provide for the client to login and make text changes, I'd go for it.

Anybody know of any prog that'll do this?
    Anything in shareware, or even free?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could use Macromedia contribute, or a database
    Thanks Eric.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that's going to be a little too advanced for me.
    I need something fairly easy to setup. I'm just now getting Perl forms down good.

I found a decent looking PHP prog at: http://www.snippetmaster.com/ but I'm not sure how stable it is. The guy seems like he has yet to add all the features everyone is asking for.

I just thought I would ask on this board and see if anyone knew of anything similar to this prog, but maybe better.

And, I would also want to be able to use it across several domains. Once I learn to set it up, I'm going to want to offer this to my website clients.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well..... it's not php but it's still pretty good.

Article Manager

And here are 2 urls of 2 sites I've done using it. It's template based and very easy to tweak

bnif.co.uk

Industry Link

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does this utility has the ability to be set up where users have to login to make changes.

In other words, what would stop anybody that finds your site on the net from making a bunch of changes?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rockrz, this site(or at least the admin area for clients) would have to be dynamic by definition.

If you want the presentation pages to be static, you can write a dynamic admin area that reads the static page, parses out the non-editable code and lets the client update it. You would then wrap their changes in the original "non-editable" code and write their changes to the file.

I want to add that much of your assumptions about dynamic pages are misconceptions. It is extremely easy to have dynamic title tags etc. with whatever keywords you like(look at vBulletin or SitePoint for that matter.) Likewise, the only potential "search engine hostile" component of a dynamic page is the URL. Search engine friendly URLs are a solution, not a "workaround"; there are no drawbacks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes Rockrz you can set up users with different levels of access, restricting them to one area only for instance.

Try the DEMO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take a look at Web Edit Professional. I've implemented it on a client site and they LOVE it! It has great features for the non technical client user and the support from the Web Edit people is very timely. Let me know if you have any questions.