SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, I created a personal account when I setup the page without actually doing anything but proceeding thru the Company page process. You've seem to have gotten thru to me, here (attachment) as I did not click on 'I already have a Facebook Account' either

Quote Originally Posted by Ted S View Post
    ... Not sure how you managed to skip the last name field but go facebook, click the setting icon and you can fill that all in. If that has no photo it explains why you're never seeing an icon on your comments... you're commenting as an individual [the default state] and without a photo, well, none can show up .
    Clicking on 'settings' there is no last name field. I have looked thoroughly throughout and see absolutely no last name field. I do have a profile picture but don't think that's what you mean. This is after I am logged on of course and the pic is for the Company.

To be crystal clear, pages are not accounts. You can not login as a page. There is no password or username for a page. Personal accounts login. Personal accounts are made as page admins. Pages can then comment on their wall and select other walls but only if you turn that on.

It sounds like you signed up, glazed over the fields, and entered business info into your personal account which is confusing you but easily solved by setting the right info in your page(s) and the right info in your account.
    I entered the fields as I setup, the sucessive process.

What do you suggest I do now?
    Attached Images Attached Images

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by datadriven View Post
    What do you suggest I do now?
    Click the settings icon and be sure you're using facebook as yourself [you'll see options like ads, privacy, etc].

Set your account to your personal details @ https://www.facebook.com/settings. Name for example is your full name.

Set your account photo to your personal photo @ facebook.com -> click your photo -> upload a photo of you, not your company.

Your page to your business details @ settings -> use facebook as xyz.

Then you won't confuse the two.
    - Ted S

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click the settings icon and be sure you're using facebook as yourself [you'll see options like ads, privacy, etc].
    I cannot see the options you describe, instead what are listed in the left column are: 'General, Security, Subscribers, Apps, Ads, Payments, etc'

Also, should I not be able to toggle back and forth from the "Edit Page' drop menu (attachment) FB will not let me do this. At the bottom of the drop menu, it just always says ' Use Facebook as MyAccountName' Should 'Edit Page' turn into 'Manage' when I am in fact using FB as myself?

I believe I am using the latest version.

Set your account to your personal details @ https://www.facebook.com/settings. Name for example is your full name.
    Entering that address (without the ? and its trailing variable) seems to make no difference in what I am seeing unfortunately.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hrmm.

The navbar your showed does look different from normal accounts, similar to my manager account. What shows up under the settings link from the top right?

Please use FireFox or Chrome... IE is so antiquated I don't want to think about how it renders.
    - Ted S

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hrmm.

The navbar your showed does look different from normal accounts, similar to my manager account. What shows up under the settings link from the top right?
    (attached - FF browser)

I honestly don't recall the fields that you've mentioned when signing up.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (attached - FF browser)

I honestly don't recall the fields that you've mentioned when signing up.
    Interesting. You do seem to have a limited account of some sort although I'm not sure how you got one... My apologies for the confusion.

In any event your past screenshot shows a page manager... As a page you are limited in where you post and what but should still be able to activate that specific profile. If you try making a second page let's see if that allows you to switch back and forth you can more easily identify your current role.
    Last edited by Ted S; Jan 3, 2013 at 00:26.
    - Ted S

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting. You do seem to have a limited account of some sort although I'm not sure how you got one... My apologies for the confusion.

In any event your past screenshot shows a page manager... As a page you are limited in where you post and what but should still be able to activate that specific profile. If you try making a second page let's see if that allows you to switch back and forth you can more easily identify your current role.
    Alright, making 2nd Company page while logged on.

Silly question: Will obviously use same the category as before, but also use same company name?

Can never be too sure here I guess with this process. Wondering why they even ask this, must be to admin several different companies by the same user.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can never be too sure here I guess with this process. [I]Wondering why they even ask this, must be to admin several different companies by the same user.
    One user can admin many, many pages so yes, exactly.

As for the details, a dud page doesn't need anything in particular, it's a dud.
    - Ted S

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One user can admin many, many pages so yes, exactly.

As for the details, a dud page doesn't need anything in particular, it's a dud.
    Okay I set up a second page, and when I click on "facebook" upper left both pages show. But when going on to "edit page" menu, "Use Facebook as" shows only the page currently selected, not giving the option to toggle to the other. Happening for both pages.

Within 'edit page' > 'update info' > 'settings:

"Posting Preferences:
    Always comment and post on your page as (current page), even when using Facebook as .
    Note: You're currently using Facebook as . To switch to (current page), click Account at the top of any page."

Doing this while within ea. of the pages

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay I set up a second page, and when I click on "facebook" upper left both pages show. But when going on to "edit page" menu, "Use Facebook as" shows only the page currently selected, not giving the option to toggle to the other. Happening for both pages.
    Not following... If you can't toggle between the pages how are you experiencing this for both pages?
    - Ted S

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not following... If you can't toggle between the pages how are you experiencing this for both pages?
    via Facebook link, upper left, which then lists both pgs.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Note: You're currently using Facebook as . To switch to (current page), click Account at the top of any page."
    If you're not seeing both pages listed in this menu, are getting blanks about your page name, but can edit both pages you'll need to hunt down Facebook support.
    - Ted S

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're not seeing both pages listed in this menu, are getting blanks about your page name, but can edit both pages you'll need to hunt down Facebook support.
    I've tried four and now five times, cannot get them to even respond.

Only other two options I see are:

FB has either changed permissions on business accounts, without making it publicly known, allowing new signups to only post on their own account pages, and possibly if such account was not started by way of personal account first - hence, the 'limited account' and the rule of a named person behind the commenting on other account pages would apply.

OR, that someone with a personally named account must be added to the existing account as an admin, for commenting, even though the managing admin is supposed to be able to do do by their own account.

OR, that there has been a glitch on the business signup process on the part of FB. Whether or not they have pulled it.

I guess there is an outside chance that they placed limits on my account based on my ip address based possibly on a prior abuser.

Given their track record of responses, I sincerely hope that I don't have to rely on FB getting back with me.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My business has similar profiles but, so long as we activate a page with the "Use facebook as xyz...", they work just fine within the confines of a page's access [pages can post to their wall, on other pages but nothing to personal walls].

I tried signing up for a page as a non-user when we were going through all of these details yesterday and ended up at a screen to create a personal profile so I'm not entirely sure how you ever managed to get the account you did...
    - Ted S

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you recall, when activating the additional page(s) -- was there a wait period before they could post to other pages?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you recall, when activating the additional page(s) -- was there a wait period before they could post to other pages?
    There was not.

But it's something I very rarely do and a couple spam hits could change a lot.
    - Ted S

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been also thinking that FB may be starting to take measures at tightening things up a bit. Given the vast number of account holders that have become inactive. Maybe, based on metrics that I've no idea on... a new account related to such-a-type of page may be categorized and/or have to live through a wait period of X number of months, before they can comment externally. And even then, possibly meet certain criteria (based on activities, growth, little or no reports of abuse, etc). Whatever their studies might show could be worthy of freeing the comments feature. But just speculation. since FB and active users may not want a huge percentage of commenters going inactive.

- Much appreciate your efforts Ted. I realize this wasn't exactly a typical post and you became quite involved at a much appreciated level. Thx.