SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Facebook Business Accounts - Anything Required for Commenting?

I recall hearing way back, years ago, that users had to make a certain number of posts/messages before their account was rendered fully active. Though this could have been for personal or business accounts, not sure.

Are there any requirements in place today - before the business account will become fully active? Meaning, when a FB user posts on other FB accounts, their profile image/graphic actually show?

My image/graphic will not show when posting to other FB accounts. When other FB users 'like' me , the stuff does show but only in that confined 'like' box on their page.

Other than that, my 32 by 32 graphic does show only when commenting on my own account page.

In fact, when commenting on othe FB pages, instead of my link being:

facebook.com/myregisteredname

It is:

facebook.com/profile.php?id=100(followed by numerica string)

Which apparantly goes through a redirect before arriving at facebook.com/myregisteredname

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry for the DP, but cannot edit the above.

Please note that I do not have a fan page or any created pages besides the main account associated with my twitter @name

It now occurred to me -- is it necessary to create another actual page to activate commenting on other FB pages?

Going to:

Edit Page > Manage Permissions > Your Settings > /then uncheck 'Posting Preferences' = twitter says "always comment and post on your page as myaccount, even when using Facebook as ."

There is nothing else listed, at the end, because of this lack of a page. Isn't unchecking this the general fix for making the graphic show? Must I create another page? If so, should it be merged with the main account page in order to go by the same name?

- My horns are dripping molten green on this one.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted S View Post
    Keep in mind that days & time are extremely audience dependent so while you should start with a best practice you have to test it for yourself and keep testing it as you grow... Different groups use Facebook very differently.
    Will keep in mind for making posts. But as far as posting comments on other FB accounts, I still can't comment to where somewhere would recognize who's doing it. Still trying to figure out why my graphic isn't showing, if I need to create a page besides my main account & what type if so. Driving me crazy. Might have to take the risk and start making pages to test, not knowing if this can be undone. Or if the page would have to be merged.

This would make the nicest New Years present I ever received if someone could answer this!
    Last edited by TechnoBear; Jan 2, 2013 at 17:18. Reason: Posts moved to this thread from irrelevant thread.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by datadriven View Post
    Will keep in mind for making posts. But as far as posting comments on other FB accounts, I still can't comment to where somewhere would recognize who's doing it. Still trying to figure out why my graphic isn't showing, if I need to create a page besides my main account & what type if so. Driving me crazy. Might have to take the risk and start making pages to test, not knowing if this can be undone. Or if the page would have to be merged.

This would make the nicest New Years present I ever received if someone could answer this!
    Why would you need another account to post? Your account can work as either your individual account or a business / professional page depending on what you activate and are trying to accomplish [pages being far more limited in what they can post].
    - Ted S

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why would you need another account to post? Your account can work as either your individual account or a business / professional page depending on what you activate and are trying to accomplish [pages being far more limited in what they can post].
    Because when I go to:

Edit Page > Manage Permissions > Your Settings > / and then uncheck 'Posting Preferences'

Facebook follows their pre-checked selection with "always comment and post on your page as (myaccountname), even when using Facebook as . Note: You're currently using Facebook as . To switch to (myaccountname), click Account at the top of any page. "

But there is nothing else listed, at the end, I think, because of this lack of a page. Doesn't unchecking the box normally make the graphic show when posting on other accounts?

However when I uncheck this and and click 'save changes' , Facebook just keeps rechecking it without modification.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because when I go to:

Edit Page > Manage Permissions > Your Settings > / and then uncheck 'Posting Preferences'

Facebook follows their pre-checked selection with "always comment and post on your page as (myaccountname), even when using Facebook as . Note: You're currently using Facebook as . To switch to (myaccountname), click Account at the top of any page. "

But there is nothing else listed, at the end, I think, because of this lack of a page. Doesn't unchecking the box normally make the graphic show when posting on other accounts?

However when I uncheck this and and click 'save changes' , Facebook just keeps rechecking it without modification.
    This is obviously not something 99.9% of users see and for the remaining 0.1% of us we see our page names. Of course keeping that box checked is what you want most of the time. What happens when you post to a page / profile now?

Perhaps you're right not to need another account but a dud page, not to post with but because some sort of flag seems to be set, perhaps from a page you use to have, and having one may help get things back in sync.
    - Ted S

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is obviously not something 99.9% of users see and for the remaining 0.1% of us we see our page names. Of course keeping that box checked is what you want most of the time. What happens when you post to a page / profile now?

Perhaps you're right not to need another account but a dud page, not to post with but because some sort of flag seems to be set, perhaps from a page you use to have, and having one may help get things back in sync.
    When I post to a page - it ALWAYS shows the generic FB silhoutte and without my link. Which is evident even when I am not logged on (sometimes manually edited out). However when other FB accounts like my account - my image strange enough shows under their 'like' box and this is the only time.

All permissions are open on my account.

Ted S. - are you suggesting this is probably due to their editing/manual review of the other FB account users?

My account has been tested with another FB account, both accounts having 'all permissions open' and still, my image will not show on the other account when I comment! I'm trying to figure out how this can be falling through these cracks.

I'm starting to like your idea of the 'dud' page. Can individual pages be deleted after started? Any particular kind of page you would suggest (existing page/account is 'Company, Organization or Institution'?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (sorry for the DP - couldn't edit)

This might help resolve this:

When I go to 'Create a Page' then click on 'Pages I Admin',

- my account shows as it should, but when I choose 'Pages I like'

- it is blank, notably saying 's Likes' in upper left corner with 'No Results Found' -- even though I have liked 7 others. Which do all show up on my 'wall' under 'likes'.

Wondering why or how this could be?

Something's obviously happening at the crossover between my account & others. FB is blanking out.

As for creating a page - When I go into create a page, FB seems to be starting from square one, asking for the same fields as before I had my account - even though I'm logged on.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When I go to: Update Page > Page info > Profile Picture

My profile picture shows.

When I go to: Admin Roles

My email address shows up beside that dreadful silhoutte, listed as the manager.
    Should my profile picture show up here, instead of the silhoutte?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Also, I see that:

"Can multiple people use the same account to manage a Page? No. A Page can have multiple admins, but each Page admin will need their own personal Facebook account. "

I don't have a personal FB account - only the business account. Does FB mean each have their own account or each have their own personal account? This is not clear.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BTW - all of the the above problems have been occurring with FF and IE7 so I don't think its my browser. Also tried turning off the firewall/antivirus.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I post to a page - it ALWAYS shows the generic FB silhoutte and without my link. Which is evident even when I am not logged on (sometimes manually edited out). However when other FB accounts like my account - my image strange enough shows under their 'like' box and this is the only time.

All permissions are open on my account.
    Do you see the photo when logged in as yourself?
    - Ted S

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have a personal FB account - only the business account. Does FB mean each have their own account or each have their own personal account? This is not clear.
    You have a personal account which you simply chose not to use for anything but business... accounts must be created with real names for real people and thus are personal. Only a Facebook staff member can assign a specific "business" account.

Each account can manage an [nearly] unlimited number of pages but accounts are not designed to be shared thus if you had 5 employees each would be authorized to manage your page through their personal accounts rather than logging in with the same credentials.
    - Ted S

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As for creating a page - When I go into create a page, FB seems to be starting from square one, asking for the same fields as before I had my account - even though I'm logged on.
    Every page needs new details... the page's name, location, etc. They are not copied from your personal account.
    - Ted S

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    re: on my seeing ONLY the generic silhoutte on other FB pages commented on:

Q: "Do you see the photo when logged in as yourself"?

ANSWER: no, not for where I had 'commented'. I see my photo/thumbnail only when a FB user has liked me as showing through their account 'like' box.

You have a personal account which you simply chose not to use for anything but business... accounts must be created with real names for real people and thus are personal. Only a Facebook staff member can assign a specific "business" account.

Each account can manage an [nearly] unlimited number of pages but accounts are not designed to be shared thus if you had 5 employees each would be authorized to manage your page through their personal accounts rather than logging in with the same credentials.
    The only thing I've created is one page (attachment) for a 'Company, Orgainization or Institution' while supplying the requested 'category' and 'company name', as it asks for - it did not ask for personal name.

Within my account, admin roles: I am listed as 'Manager' with my email address above it, and there is nobody else listed beneath (attachment) .
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Within my account, admin roles: I am listed as 'Manager' with my email address above it, and there is nobody else listed beneath (attachment) .
    Those are page admin screenshots. What happens when you just visit www.facebook.com? Do you see your thumbnail there?
    - Ted S

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those are page admin screenshots. What happens when you just visit www.facebook.com? Do you see your thumbnail there?
    When I visit my account at facebook, all my thumbnails show up. Even for making a comment.

When I visit facebook.com alone, it automatically redirects to my account. I can't visit facebook.com by itself.

Assuming you are asking when I am signed on.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I visit facebook.com alone, it automatically redirects to my account. I can't visit facebook.com by itself.
    You mean your news feed?

What happens if you click to comment on one of the posts you see there? Does the icon show as you comment? After it's saved?
    - Ted S

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You mean your news feed?
    This is my main page, with 'highlights' button toward the top, where I've connected to Twitter, can make posts that link to a website page, others can 'Like' 'Comment, etc. As of today, lower in the page it now shows 'Earlier in 2012'
    What happens if you click to comment on one of the posts you see there? Does the icon show as you comment? After it's saved?
    When I click on a comment (on my own page) my icon shows, after I hit enter to save it, the icon shows with my link followed by my comment. This shows even when am I logged out afterward.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I click on a comment (on my own page) my icon shows, after I hit enter to save it, the icon shows with my link followed by my comment. This shows even when am I logged out afterward.
    So then what's the problem?
    - Ted S

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem is that my icon and link doesn't show when commenting on other FB account pages, other than my own. Just that grey silhoutte and without the link.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem is that my icon and link doesn't show when commenting on other FB account pages, other than my own. Just that grey silhoutte and without the link.
    My guess would be permissions but at this point I'd say to keep contacting Facebook until you hear back. Not much that someone without access can do in the event there is something wrong...
    - Ted S

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My guess would be permissions but at this point I'd say to keep contacting Facebook until you hear back. Not much that someone without access can do in the event there is something wrong...
    Are you saying they are likely blocking certain permissions?

I'm starting to wonder if it could be my ip address - possible abuse by someone previously using it.

So it sounds like attaching an admin who has a personal account really won't matter? Not advisable?

Have been contacting Facebook since the end of Nov. on this.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you saying they are likely blocking certain permissions?
    One billion users. No one is personally adjusting settings for accounts and if they were you'd know.

So it sounds like attaching an admin who has a personal account really won't matter? Not advisable?
    Again all accounts are personal accounts which can be made as admins of a page so I'm not sure what you mean. There's no way to make someone an admin who does not have a Facebook account.
    - Ted S

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Again all accounts are personal accounts which can be made as admins of a page so I'm not sure what you mean. There's no way to make someone an admin who does not have a Facebook account.
    What I meant was, since I have only done this one page, for a 'Business Organization or Institution, try opening a new page at https://www.facebook.com/ (not https://www.facebook.com/pages/create.php ) and add as an admin in an attempt to free the permissions. Can I have both?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I meant was, since I have only done this one page, for a 'Business Organization or Institution, try opening a new page at https://www.facebook.com/ (not https://www.facebook.com/pages/create.php ) and add as an admin in an attempt to free the permissions. Can I have both?
    Pages are not accounts and can not be made without an personal account first. When you create a page your personal account of course becomes an admin by default.

As for whether it will help or not, if you already have a page it wouldn't do anything except add another page to your profile. If you don't have a page and plan to use Facebook for your business then you need a page so creating one is only logical.

That said I get the feeling you are stuck think of your page as the same as your account. They are not. Accounts are how you login, what you have a newsfeed for, and where your "personal" profile is set complete with a photo for your comments as an individual. Pages layer on top and are accessed by personal accounts so while they look similar they get their own logo & details. While you can switch to comment as your page in certain instances, they are far more restrictive than your underlying personal account.
    - Ted S

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Again, pages are not accounts and can not be made without an personal account first. When you create a page your personal account of course becomes an admin by default.
    Well the only thing I added was a Company page - I'm not sure if you are trying to tell me that FB automatically creates an account when the Company page was started, or, that I 'should have had a personal account before creating the company page - specifically using this form here https://www.facebook.com/. Regardless FB added me as the main admin, with no first and last name registered, as you can see from the screenshot. But since I beleive you said previously there has to be someone with a real name administering, this leads me to beleive that I need to create an account with my first and last name, then link it to the Company page - is this correct? Or is this considering 'creating another page'?

If this is what should have been done, creating a personal account before a company page, then is it possible to create a personal account after the company page has been created?

Could this be why I am experiencing a 'permission issue'?

That said I get the feeling you are stuck treating your page as the same as your account still. They are not. Accounts are how you login, what you have a newsfeed for, and where your "personal" profile is set. Pages layer on top and are accessed by personal accounts so while they look similar they get their own logo & details. While you can switch to comment as your page in certain instances, they are far more restrictive than your underlying personal account.
    I log in with my Company page,

If I add a 'personal account' for use with the company page, I'll add a seperate thumbnial, and as I understand you from above, I can probably use it to comment with the company icon showing and not my personal one -- assuming that it takes.

If I start a single personal account, can I associate it with several FB company pages?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well the only thing I added was a Company page - I'm not sure if you are trying to tell me that FB automatically creates an account when the Company page was started
    ...They don't add anything. As I've said, you created a personal account to setup the page. Without an account there is no page.

But since I beleive you said previously there has to be someone with a real name administering, this leads me to beleive that I need to create an account with my first and last name
    You already have an account. That's how you login to facebook... Not sure how you managed to skip the last name field but go facebook, click the setting icon and you can fill that all in. If that has no photo it explains why you're never seeing an icon on your comments... you're commenting as an individual [the default state] and without a photo, well, none can show up

I log in with my Company page,
    To be crystal clear, pages are not accounts. You can not login as a page. There is no password or username for a page. Personal accounts login. Personal accounts are made as page admins. Pages can then comment on their wall and select other walls but only if you turn that on.

It sounds like you signed up, glazed over the fields, and entered business info into your personal account which is confusing you but easily solved by setting the right info in your page(s) and the right info in your account.
    - Ted S