User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to post link with image preview to facebook page

Hey does anyone know how to post a link to an image on a facebook page with a small thumbnail of the image. I have tried posting the link in my pages status but no image shows at all. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    HostingTool - Honest Web Hosting
    █ Shared and Reseller cPanel Web Hosting. Guaranteed Resources.
    http://www.hostingtool.net

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am having a similiar issue as well... starting to think its not possible

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Facebook grabs its thumbnails from the original website page. If you have the large photo there, it may choose to show it in a post about the page. However, sometimes it does and sometimes it does not give that option.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is definitely possible to do as I've seen it done on other pages. I have facebook messaged a page asking about it but it seems they do not want to share their secret.
    HostingTool - Honest Web Hosting
    █ Shared and Reseller cPanel Web Hosting. Guaranteed Resources.
    http://www.hostingtool.net

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The easiest way is just use a link tag

<link rel="image_src" href="http://domain.com/images/logo.gif" />

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you can upload a picture and put the hyper links in text format.
    Last edited by Stevie D; Dec 27, 2012 at 16:45. Reason: Fake signature deleted

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paste url in update status textbox and the you can see under the URL, a thumbnail image with title and description.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    try to do it in your timeline and do not press the enter right away just wait for sometime for facebook to fetch your image. But if the link do not contain any images it won't show, if the url you posted is flash files content then it wont show, if your image is too big then you have to wait before it will be fetched.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you can do it by posting the link and mark a place then , upload the image with that specific link you can get your desired post in this simple way .

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've done it several times already. What I do is just simple paste the link on the status then when the image appears, you can delete the link and put some description and whatnot.

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by summerazing View Post
    I've done it several times already. What I do is just simple paste the link on the status then when the image appears, you can delete the link and put some description and whatnot.
    Why would you delete the link? If the material is yours, then you would want to get traffic from it. If the material is not yours, then you should be giving credit where credit is due. If you aren't you are plagiarizing.
    Linda Jenkinson

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just using additional <link> tag on my page to force facebook to display my specific photo when people post links to facebook page.
    "<link rel="image_src" href="http://domain.com/images/logo.gif" />"
    It works really well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi guys, this is a common issue, and you should use the debug tool by facebook search the tool, debug the URL you want to post, as sson as it shows er:200 then you URL will be posted with images good luck

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    facebook finds image from the page url you will be posting. So, if you have any image on the url you will post, it will have image automatically and it works for me.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HostingPlace View Post
    Hey does anyone know how to post a link to an image on a facebook page with a small thumbnail of the image. I have tried posting the link in my pages status but no image shows at all. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Hi HostingPlace, you can actually tell Facebook or Google+ which title, description/snippet and thumbnail to use for link preview. You need to include a few lines of Open Graph tags together with meta tags into the header of your HTML document.

Here's a comprehensive guide on how these tags should look like: http://www.xldstudios.com/add-facebo...raph-protocol/

Let us know whether the above solutions works for you. I tried this on one of my clients' and it worked. For my blog, both Google+ and Facebook is pulling the right information out every time so I guess kudos to Chris Pearson, the creator of Thesis theme, who got this right.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't it automatic? Whenever I post a link, it gives out a preview. Maybe it's about the site where the image is coming from.

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barty_Mack View Post
    Isn't it automatic? Whenever I post a link, it gives out a preview. Maybe it's about the site where the image is coming from.
    That has been my experience as well.
    Linda Jenkinson

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barty_Mack View Post
    Facebook will try and fetch image information off a page but depending on how things are built it can miss over the preferred image, get a bad description snippit, whatever.

As a site owner there's really no reason to leave this up to chance when Facebook provides such a simple mechanism to define these elements yourself.
    - Ted S

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I did it many times. You just put your url in the status box and wait a minute. You'll see the thumbnail image with title and description. or You can attach photo by using "add photo" link and put the link in text box.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    make sure you have an image at the url page before you copy n paste it on fb. the thumbnail will auto appear...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyflower View Post
    Facebook grabs its thumbnails from the original website page. If you have the large photo there, it may choose to show it in a post about the page. However, sometimes it does and sometimes it does not give that option.
    I agree with Shyflower.Facebook grab thumbnail image when you write a link in status

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also tried such issue but sometimes I can successfully post it with the link and the image. Maybe the image will not display when it is too large.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Facebook fetching is still not stable - it works for one picture and doesn't work for another one.
    As a caution, make sure that you have a right path of upload, and that the picture is not in .png

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you use url for upload image then facebook just try to upload maximum 80-90kb image not so much,that's why may be you can not see your image....So i think its the better for just upload image and put your url as a caption or tag text..i think its help you..
    <snip />
    Last edited by cpradio; Mar 22, 2013 at 22:22. Reason: Removed link

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oakwood View Post
    If you use url for upload image then facebook just try to upload maximum 80-90kb image not so much,that's why may be you can not see your image....So i think its the better for just upload image and put your url as a caption or tag text..i think its help you..
    <snip />
    That's the problem - it's not related to the image size. You see, if I just post url then the thumbnail is displayed.
    If I do post custom url or shorten url, thumbnail may not display all the time.
    Another thing I just cam across over the weekend, is that some of custom urls that were not displaying as a thumbnail a week ago are now displaying properly (O_o)